Two Thai men arrested for violent Pattaya street attack on tourists

webfact

3 minutes ago, callaway said:

Until the authorities, from the highest political office down, stop showing disdain to foreigners then this will continue to happen. It is obvious we are not welcome but their love of money is stronger than their hatred. We are vermin that are only just tolerated.

I'm not sure that's quite accurate, street scum are despised by the Ruling Thai Elite as they should be. They make the country look bad in a highly visible way. Those with power do it in the shadows.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I'm not sure that's quite accurate, street scum are despised by the Ruling Thai Elite as they should be. They make the country look bad in a highly visible way. Those with power do it in the shadows.

Yes but they seem to put us all in the same basket as some of the low life crap that comes and lives here. They would have been crap in their own country and came here and continued. Unfortunately these are the ones that get coverage not decent folks who contribute to Thai society and behave in a respectful manner whilst being a guest in this country. I have many friends, rather influential, where I live. They are all Thais. I try to have nothing to do with foreigners, as I find generally, they try to con you out of money or are bludgers. They see you are going ok and get jealous. Granted this is not all. I have met a few good blokes but just in passing. They are not in my circle of friends but on a hello basis if I see them about. I see on here that many complain that other farang are not friendly. I feel this is due to what I said in the first sentence. I would not associate with that type in my birth country so have no desire to associate with them in my adopted country.

8 hours ago, arrowsdawdle said:

Just 'cuz ur not scared doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

So what would you have me do hide indoors all day incase a bad man who wants to rob someone happens to stumble across me. I think not. Plus I said I feel safe didn't mention scared totaly diffrent and no I'm not scared either nor am I a warrior who would despatch said mugger into oblivion.

But I have my wits about me and would not repeat not go to help another and put myself in danger (I would of course from a safe distance make it known to muggers that I am informing the police. And when they go I would render assistance to the victim. So if that makes me a coward so be it I can live with that. 

22 minutes ago, callaway said:

Yes but they seem to put us all in the same basket as some of the low life crap that comes and lives here. They would have been crap in their own country and came here and continued. Unfortunately these are the ones that get coverage not decent folks who contribute to Thai society and behave in a respectful manner whilst being a guest in this country. I have many friends, rather influential, where I live. They are all Thais. I try to have nothing to do with foreigners, as I find generally, they try to con you out of money or are bludgers. They see you are going ok and get jealous. Granted this is not all. I have met a few good blokes but just in passing. They are not in my circle of friends but on a hello basis if I see them about. I see on here that many complain that other farang are not friendly. I feel this is due to what I said in the first sentence. I would not associate with that type in my birth country so have no desire to associate with them in my adopted country.

Some of the lower end types may put us all in the same basket but I know from personal experience (perhaps similar to yourself) that many Thai people don't think like this.

In truth I don't find intelligent Thai people any different to other intelligent people regardless of where they come from.

You're right though, I have met a lot of people (foreigners) who under normal circumstances I would never associate with but these are the people who I don't generally associate with.

7 hours ago, mcfish said:

I don't live in Pattaya so Im not biased but good lord it's not rocket science. Get out your calculator.. Plug in a million tourists and then plug in the hand full of robberies, attacks a week.. Get back to us

Avoid beach road late at night and avoid banging lady boys and you as an expat should know this..your odds of violence will be zero!!!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Odds of violence zero? You're clearly not a 'rocket scientist'. If a person doesn't look physically capable of defending themselves they are more of a target, and in Pattaya there are more people looking out for victims than in other parts of Thailand. So Pattaya is a more dangerous, less attractive as a place to stay safe ... and more bad publicity doesn't help that situation. No need to get back to 'us'. :bah:

6 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Am always amused by comments about London ( I think by Americans ) - so go to the West End to see a show or a concert - maybe they are brainwashed by Trump ? 

Help- a whole multitude of ethnic machete , gun, knife wielding assassins running around trying to kill you- what total absolute cr*p .

Pattaya lives on two levels - the well to do- and then the low life who inhabit places such as LK Metro- you reap what you sow or s**** ! 

I doubt the poster is American, and his point was that you can expect violence in a big city, but not in a holiday resort. 

I said to someone recently that Thailand (not just Pattaya) is absolutely not the place to take things personally. By being able to laugh off or walk away from situations which you know can and will rapidly escalate if you don't, you'll have no trouble.

But sometimes that's a big ask, of course...

8 hours ago, mcfish said:

Pattaya is dead! For many reasons eg. Low season plus exchange rate against the baht, Oz dollar and the pound imploding, plus the euro

And of course the odd beat down? I think that's a stretch..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I think the Mother's Day bombs, the elderly Hua Hin couple that was beaten, the Koh Tao case, etc, all are having an impact.  Along with the items you describe. 

I was on a few social media sites the other day and the garbage problems of Koh Tao and Samui were being heavily discussed and read.  The net was, stay away! LOL

43 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I think the Mother's Day bombs, the elderly Hua Hin couple that was beaten, the Koh Tao case, etc, all are having an impact.  Along with the items you describe. 

I was on a few social media sites the other day and the garbage problems of Koh Tao and Samui were being heavily discussed and read.  The net was, stay away! LOL

All kidding aside, social media and feedback like hotel ratings represent a real opportunity for change from the grass roots.  I know I always look at hotel ratings and read at least some of the reviews before I book a room online.  I wouldn't have a clue where to look in the news (and unlike most tourists, I understand why "name and shame" isn't a good idea in Thailand.)

I wonder what would happen if, every time one of us stayed at a hotel in country, we left a review that would give others pause before booking in the town, never mind that particular hotel.  Something like: "Stayed in the hotel, the grounds were nice and service was excellent, but I was gobsmacked when another guest came back from dinner bleeding profusely."  or "Hotel was great if you could get past the stench of the local dump that's grown to mountainous dimensions"

Mind you, not that I would advocate such a campaign.

4 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

A pal of mine in his 60's was attacked on Jomtien Beach last month by 3 drunk Thai's, he was only out walking at Midday minding his own business..so Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere it can happen...

Agreed, whatever precautions you take you just might end up in a bad situation. You can take sensible measures to mitigate risk, but you will never eliminate it.

The closest I get to Pattaya is to travel through it to Jontien. I then head a bit to the south end and

enjoy my stay there.  I have enjoyed a stay at Soi 5 and the sois around there as well, good restaurants and

bars, and a different tourist crowd from Europe. They sure know how to party and cheer on their

soccer, or football teams.  I stayed at the south end of Pattaya years ago, but this trip through there I

seen so many Arab signs, I will avoid that place always in the future.

Geezer

17 hours ago, Merylhighground said:

Nor I.

One wonders why, with 'previous form', they were in a tourist area and not in clink far away...? Maybe now someone in authority with a mild understanding of  jurisprudence or even a shred of common sense will see these lads removed far away from tourist areas for a goodish stretch. 

I'm waiting for the 'the victims were drunk and deserved it' gang to roll up....

Here's hoping both victims make a full recovery.

That's what they get for hanging around Pattaya! The place is a nut house and not a cop in sight. Enter at your own peril.

17 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I live on the Darkside, aprox 10 kms from the city centre, I have absolutely no interest in going into town at night, or in the day for that matter, except to go shopping, the place gets more dangerous as the years roll by, rumour has it that a large shopping complex is planned for our side of the railroad tracks, the sooner that happens the better because it means I can avoid Sodom & Gomorrah altogether.

We have great bars and restaurants out here, no need to go there at all.  

you have your own little version of S & G...i have been there..i know,so stop the pretence.

Don't any farang know how to fight anymore? This Swede rushes into a street brawl to lend a hand and instantly gets knocked down and kicked unconcious. Advice to anyone out there....If you don't know how to handle yourself in a street brawl then run in the opposite direction.

The sad reality is that Pattaya is a sex tourism destination and it's recognized as the hub of child prostitution for the foreign visitors market. No one wants to admit  to it. Because pattaya is built upon sexploitation,  it has the drug addiction and crime problems  that go hand in hand with  sexploitation.

I suppose I should feel sorry for the  foreigners who were assaulted. Unfortunately,  my view is that if one wishes to play in the gutter, and to  patronize a corrupt destination, then one  must accept the consequences of their  personal choices. One has to be clueless and blind to not know that Pattaya is for sex tourism and that it is a vile disgusting place that attracts the scum of the world.

8 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The sad reality is that Pattaya is a sex tourism destination and it's recognized as the hub of child prostitution for the foreign visitors market. No one wants to admit  to it. Because pattaya is built upon sexploitation,  it has the drug addiction and crime problems  that go hand in hand with  sexploitation.

I suppose I should feel sorry for the  foreigners who were assaulted. Unfortunately,  my view is that if one wishes to play in the gutter, and to  patronize a corrupt destination, then one  must accept the consequences of their  personal choices. One has to be clueless and blind to not know that Pattaya is for sex tourism and that it is a vile disgusting place that attracts the scum of the world.

What an absolute load of horse manure you have just written. Nothing more to say you need to get out more. Are you in Thailand or your own little world

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Been in Pattaya since 2008 , stayed several month ,been in many places and i can tell you this child exploitation is a myth. Nothing worse than other places in the world i believe.

Read some news a few month ago about extensive sexually exploited child in the south of USA.

In Pattaya , i saw underage girls on rare occasions , more 17 than anything below and that was a long ago.

This is all Westerners fantasy , Thai dont want to loose the face , those thing are not intended for strangers.

Where are all the hard farang men these days? When I was a teen growing up in UK & Australia there were all these hard cases around and you'd have to be very careful. Guys from Glasgow & LIverpool & London who'd put the nut on ya and split ya face open. In Australia I came across barroom brawling Aussies & Kiwis, hard fighting men who took viscious blows to their heads but kept on their feet.. All you ever hear about in Thailand is weak whimpy farangs that crumble to the ground after one punch from a Thai, then get carted off to hospital.

I remember last year seeing a report of 2 Russian lads took 2 ladyboys back to their hotel room, things got nasty and the LBs gave the 2 Russians a whacking. There were photos of the Russians with cuts & bruises, nursing their heads. But these were 2 big Russian lads and there were 2 LBs, so they weren't outnumbered. I thought at the time...didn't it occur to you to smash your fists into the LB's faces and splatter their noses from ear to ear? 

6 hours ago, samuibeachcomber said:

you have your own little version of S & G...i have been there..i know,so stop the pretence.

You'll have to tell me where that is as I don't have the foggiest idea :) Admittedly there are some friendly (wink wink nudge nudge) bars over this side but as an upstanding member of the community I don't know where they (all) are. :) 

21 hours ago, Ridler said:

If you believe the dark side is any less dangerous then you need to go out, look around and leave those rose tinted specs at home. 

The Darkside is a hell of a lot safer than than Walking St, LK metro, soi Bakhow (spl) etc etc, I don't do go go's, girlie bars and stuff like that any more, my first visit to Pattaya was about 11 years ago, the place has changed enormously since then, some of it not for the best.

I started staying, drinking & eating on the Darkside a couple of years after my first visit to LOS. I don't disagree that you can find trouble over here, there are areas I stay well clear of, but it is still 90% safer than downtown Pattaya. 

I have travelled extensively around this kingdom by Train, Bus & driving (in one month alone me and "Her indoors" covered almost 5000 kms, I have always felt relatively safe on my travels, applying the necessary common sense and caution when in a new town or city,

Fortunately I only know nice people.  

And I have prescription lenses in my glasses so my vision is as good as it can be under the circumstances.

37 minutes ago, TSF said:

Where are all the hard farang men these days? When I was a teen growing up in UK & Australia there were all these hard cases around and you'd have to be very careful. Guys from Glasgow & LIverpool & London who'd put the nut on ya and split ya face open. In Australia I came across barroom brawling Aussies & Kiwis, hard fighting men who took viscious blows to their heads but kept on their feet.. All you ever hear about in Thailand is weak whimpy farangs that crumble to the ground after one punch from a Thai, then get carted off to hospital.

I remember last year seeing a report of 2 Russian lads took 2 ladyboys back to their hotel room, things got nasty and the LBs gave the 2 Russians a whacking. There were photos of the Russians with cuts & bruises, nursing their heads. But these were 2 big Russian lads and there were 2 LBs, so they weren't outnumbered. I thought at the time...didn't it occur to you to smash your fists into the LB's faces and splatter their noses from ear to ear? 

I've seen big flash Western so called tough guys who fancy themselves as hard nuts get into the ring on several occasions with Thais little more than 2/3 of their size and the Thais have made mincemeat of 'em. Some of 'em are tough little bastards!

18 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Absolute Rubbish. There is more child sex exploitation in many UK northern cities than in Pattaya. The USA is more of a child prostitution hub than Pattaya. Your comment is drivel and lies.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:28 PM, Thunderbirds20 said:

I HAVE LIVED IN THAILAND FOR 11 YEARS AND THOUGHT I WOULD LIVE HERE FOREVER!

I used to feel safe any time, anywhere, but not any more. This is now an every day occurrence ... two or usually more Thai Thugs gang up an an elderly Farang, beat him senseless and rob him of whatever is on him.

I bought a ticket back to Canada and I am another statistic next month. There will be one less Farang in Thailand. I can't get out of here soon enough!

More likely ran out of funds...especially relying on that currency turkey The Loon.

Archived