"Now is the time to do something" - Police to act as crime wave overwhelms Hua Hin

rooster59

"Now is the time to do something" - Police to act as crime wave overwhelms Hua Hin

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOuqq0eYy36pz3qRhFNu2LEg7ycv93DpnBgChv1vc.jpg

Image: Thairath

HUA HIN:-- A huge gathering of police in Hua Hin last night pledged to clear up the town as the "Protect Hua Hin" project began.

The town and province has been beset by serious crime and top brass say that now they intend to get their collective fingers out.

Some 358 officers from all levels of the provincial force and local authority gathered at the Hua Hin clock tower last night determined to bring confidence back to tourists visiting the city.

Leading the way was Thanayut Wuthijaratthamrong of Region 7 who spoke of the wave of crime that has hit the town. He was speaking at the epicenter of the problem - the clock tower where bombing outrages occurred last month.

He singled those outrages out first but mentioned specifically the street attacks against tourists in the province - a clear reference to the brutal violence against the Owen family from the UK that shocked the world in April.

Apart from this he spoke of convenience stores robberies and attacks on ATMs - all of this had amounted to a crime wave that had seriously affected confidence in the area.

"Now is the time to do something" , he said as he inaugurated the "Protect Hua Hin" campaign. "We need to bring back confidence for tourists after all the damage done".

And there is clearly some heat on the force to act - Deputy National Police Chief Wuthi Liptaphanlop is set to visit the area at the end of the month and will expect progress to have been made.

Meanwhile the force said that efforts to round up the suspects of the bombings named in three arrest warrants continue unabated.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-10

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

No tourists.....no scams....no money.....crime is the only resort.......it's the same in Pattaya, Phuket and the islands....BKK......

I don't know if it's "no tourists" as much as unintended consequences from cracking down on illegal businesses on public land, kicking out the beach touts, chasing off street vendors, etc, etc.  Those people have to feed their families (and addictions) somehow.  And the frustrations of poverty and nothing to lose may also boil over a lot more often.

Sad thing is, the final unintended consequence may, in fact, be a collapse in tourist spending when the displaced workers turn to crime.  On the bright side, they also have an opportunity to improve the resource and upgrade the spending ability of the tourists they do attract.   But that requires a different mindset.

I suspect they'll look at the numbers, panic and blow it.  I hope I'm wrong.

"...358 officers from all levels of the provincial force and local authority gathered at the Hua Hin clock tower last night determined to bring confidence back to tourists visiting the city. "

They are soooo clueless. So they all gather together, which means everywhere else has zero cops "working". Should have been a field day for felons. They seem to think this line up is like when some dignitary drops by to review. If anything, this kind of photo op would give me less confidence (if that is possible).

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Because they have done sweet FA up to now 

let us see the new action that will be taken and see how effective that is is going to be. tourists will not go  to places where their safety and security can possibly be compromised.

Had I seen 358 police officers standing around the clock tower, I would have assumed there was some major bomb alert and have cleared off as quickly as possible, instead of visiting the shops or bars nearby.  Not exactly helpful to Hua Hin businesses, but a great but pointless photo opportunity for the police. 

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

No tourists.....no scams....no money.....crime is the only resort.......it's the same in Pattaya, Phuket and the islands....BKK......

If they are not in all these places,where is the missing tourist as they clearly arrive in Thailand.Do they all go to Chiang Mai or just hide in their hotel rooms.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't know if it's "no tourists" as much as unintended consequences from cracking down on illegal businesses on public land, kicking out the beach touts, chasing off street vendors, etc, etc.  Those people have to feed their families (and addictions) somehow.  And the frustrations of poverty and nothing to lose may also boil over a lot more often.

Sad thing is, the final unintended consequence may, in fact, be a collapse in tourist spending when the displaced workers turn to crime.  On the bright side, they also have an opportunity to improve the resource and upgrade the spending ability of the tourists they do attract.   But that requires a different mindset.

On the bright side, they also have an opportunity to improve the resource and upgrade the spending ability of the tourists they do attract.

If Hua Hin, which has nothing to attract mongers or the budget crowd, can't attract the "right sort" ( ie rich ) of tourist, then nowhere in Thailand can.

I  spent two whole winter seasons in Hua Hin 5 years ago. Violent attacks against foreigners had already started, and I was constantly warned not to walk on certain soi s after dark, where a few of the usual favourites of farang restaurants were. 

Gun crime has increased significantly here in the last year. Just two nights ago my wife and I were out on soi88, just up from the night food market and there were two groups of late teenagers dressed in boiler suits on motorbikes shooting at each other for reasons I don't have any idea of but all with no regard to who is walking on the street. It was only around 8:30pm and women, children and families were all around. Rediculous and probably all over nothing!

58 minutes ago, sahibji said:

let us see the new action that will be taken and see how effective that is is going to be. tourists will not go  to places where their safety and security can possibly be compromised.

Yes they will . Tourists still go to Koh Tao , no matter how many get murdered there.

2 hours ago, shirtless said:

Its a great photo and  headline , but sadly the previous posts are right on the money in relation to Thailands Tourist industry and a crime wave just speeds up the downward spiral.

Sadly it wont affect arrivals. Tourists dont read Thai Visa.

2 Burmese are still locked up,awaiting trial for the murder of 2 packpackers,thats going on 2 years now,even that did not slow tourists from the UK

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

"...358 officers from all levels of the provincial force and local authority gathered at the Hua Hin clock tower last night determined to bring confidence back to tourists visiting the city. "

They are soooo clueless. So they all gather together, which means everywhere else has zero cops "working". Should have been a field day for felons. They seem to think this line up is like when some dignitary drops by to review. If anything, this kind of photo op would give me less confidence (if that is possible).

So... Not new smart police, then?

I knew that story was too good to be true.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

If they are not in all these places,where is the missing tourist as they clearly arrive in Thailand.Do they all go to Chiang Mai or just hide in their hotel rooms.

Maybe it's only the perception we are delivered that tourist numbers are booming.....clearly they're not in the major regions.....and I'm pretty sure they havn't all gone to Nakhon Nowhere!

Archived