"Now is the time to do something" - Police to act as crime wave overwhelms Hua Hin

rooster59

Talk about photo, has anyone else noticed that since the PM told the police to stop dragging crims onto tv, they have now increased their time on the news by quite a bit., I think its time the police have their own half hour police report show, say from 11 pm to 11.30 pm, That way any one interested can sit up and watch.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't know if it's "no tourists" as much as unintended consequences from cracking down on illegal businesses on public land, kicking out the beach touts, chasing off street vendors, etc, etc.  Those people have to feed their families (and addictions) somehow.  And the frustrations of poverty and nothing to lose may also boil over a lot more often.

Sad thing is, the final unintended consequence may, in fact, be a collapse in tourist spending when the displaced workers turn to crime.  On the bright side, they also have an opportunity to improve the resource and upgrade the spending ability of the tourists they do attract.   But that requires a different mindset.

I suspect they'll look at the numbers, panic and blow it.  I hope I'm wrong.

Very difficult thing to deal with. Its the consequence of not dealing with crime issues in the first place that leads to an ever increasing bad reputation and subsequently a loss of tourist numbers. 

The fact is there are many places people can chose to go to. If Thailand really wants to compete then they need a wholesale change of attitude towards foreigners. Stop the nationalistic attitude and common phrases like "Thailand is for Thais" also the police need to stop seeing tourists and foreigners as targets for tea money and instead support them when they are unfortunate enough to fall foul of a criminal act.

A safe, clean place with warm, friendly people and sunshine is all that is needed. At present, in my opinion all Thailand has is the sunshine but unfortunately for them it's not exclusive.

5 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Because they have done sweet <deleted> up to now 

Can't help but agree:-

"Meanwhile the force said that efforts to round up the suspects of the bombings named in three arrest warrants continue unabated "

10 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't know if it's "no tourists" as much as unintended consequences from cracking down on illegal businesses on public land, kicking out the beach touts, chasing off street vendors, etc, etc.  Those people have to feed their families (and addictions) somehow.  And the frustrations of poverty and nothing to lose may also boil over a lot more often.

Sad thing is, the final unintended consequence may, in fact, be a collapse in tourist spending when the displaced workers turn to crime.  On the bright side, they also have an opportunity to improve the resource and upgrade the spending ability of the tourists they do attract.   But that requires a different mindset.

I suspect they'll look at the numbers, panic and blow it.  I hope I'm wrong.

When the world hears of serious jail time for petty dealers Thailand loses its fun image. Combine that with a non elected regime and all it implies the result is 3rd world poverty and third world mindset. Nobody comes on holiday to be depressed by grotesque injustice and people living in fear. It's all very sad. When we came here 30 years ago or more we came to enjoy certain freedoms. Those fun days care gone. It's is the fault of the authoritarian leaders who are frightened of their own people- and of democracy. The crime wave in Hua Hin is minor compared to the major crime of the coup. 

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Sadly it wont affect arrivals. Tourists dont read Thai Visa.

2 Burmese are still locked up,awaiting trial for the murder of 2 packpackers,thats going on 2 years now,even that did not slow tourists from the UK

Sorry, but you're a bit late on the news front, and YOU haven't been reading Thai Visa! The 2 Burmese are not awaiting trial - that's been and gone long ago, and they've (surprisingly!) been found guilty of murder - now an appeal on the go.

1 hour ago, Falcon said:

Gun crime has increased significantly here in the last year. Just two nights ago my wife and I were out on soi88, just up from the night food market and there were two groups of late teenagers dressed in boiler suits on motorbikes shooting at each other for reasons I don't have any idea of but all with no regard to who is walking on the street. It was only around 8:30pm and women, children and families were all around. Rediculous and probably all over nothing!

Police were busy elsewhere and maybe did a gone on arrival standard disturbance report, no witnesses no suspects, investigation continuing, supplementry to follow should subsequent investigation reveal further infomation? :facepalm: 

The town and province has been beset by serious crime and top brass say that now they intend to get their collective fingers out.

I'm trying to figure out just what the above sentence is supposed to mean. Could be several possibilities:

A. get their collective fingers out of their noses or a**es, where they probably spend most of their time every day.

B. the writer misspoke, and actually meant to say, "get their collective hands out" to boost tea money collections, which obviously is the main priority.

C. or possibly, get their collective fingers out of their ears, so they can wake up to what's been going on right under their noses all this time.

6 hours ago, shirtless said:

Its a great photo and  headline , but sadly the previous posts are right on the money in relation to Thailands Tourist industry and a crime wave just speeds up the downward spiral.

..the officer in the centre with his left hand raised....is that a 'woody' or a half-cocked 'glock'.

14 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

So many experts on here why not form your own vigilante brigade and stop whining. Do you really know what you all come across like to readers here. Let the police do what they are doing if it works then appologise if not then whine like school girls.

A vigilante would be more effective but alas, foreign  devils need a work permit to volunteer for community watch activities. What do you mean by let the police do what they are doing? Do you mean the shakedown roadblocks every month like the one opposite Market Village, or do you mean like the non enforcement of road safety regulations 29.75 out of 30 days of the month or do you mean the alleged protection money bar owners must pay, or do you mean  the alleged involvement in human trafficking or do you mean the alleged involvement of some police officers in the  drug trade? Please clarify.

1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:

A vigilante would be more effective but alas, foreign  devils need a work permit to volunteer for community watch activities. What do you mean by let the police do what they are doing? Do you mean the shakedown roadblocks every month like the one opposite Market Village, or do you mean like the non enforcement of road safety regulations 29.75 out of 30 days of the month or do you mean the alleged protection money bar owners must pay, or do you mean  the alleged involvement in human trafficking or do you mean the alleged involvement of some police officers in the  drug trade? Please clarify.

You know exactly what I meant.Can you as you have decided to list activities of you belive  the police do. So can you clarify with facts and figures other than quoting hearsay and other made up on here hard facts we will see. Start trawling the net hear from you soon. 

i've been out the last 2 nights (friday and saturday) and didn't see ONE single policeman anywhere. not on bintabaht area, 88/94/102 even soi 6/7 bars. not even outside the police station. pathetic.

just a photoshoot to pacify the recently falling number of bangkok tourists i'm afraid

The flatlined heartbeat of the BiB, sees a pathetic blip of activity corresponding to a big announcement such as this, quickly drops back to the ear piercing monotone flatline again.

Standing up for a photo op is super high energy go get 'em work ethic for these guys.

Time to sit down again and look forward to the next communal colleague relationship maintenance gob stuffing session.

Yup........ Holiday fun is over, guys..................... Back on the streets now........... FULL shifts now. No early outs for boozing the night away...........

Why does all the crime have to happen to wake them up?     They were cops all along, should have been doing their job all along, and maybe these crimes wouldn't have happened.

"Now is the time to do something" , he said as he inaugurated the "Protect Hua Hin" campaign. "We need to bring back confidence for tourists after all the damage done".

Too little, too late! The silliness of this statement boggles the mind!

"SOMETHING" should have been an ongoing process from the very beginning!

Thailand's reputation for crime and violence against tourists and foreigners has gotten Out in Front, in the international media!

While Thailand's police continue to practice "reactive" policing, and publicity stunts, instead of "proactive" crime prevention.

(Unless a person considers the fat old cops flagging over motor bikers on the street to fill their pockets with baht as proactive crime prevention.)

Ironically there are city and country police forces all over the world with functional police forces, including Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Korea, who would probably offer the education, training and expertise needed if they were asked.

Even the Thai Military receives the education and training benefits of joint military exercises with their regional counterparts on a yearly basis.

But then Thai-ness and lose of Face have to be considered before any Thai Police Official could ask for help, which might be considered an admission of sorts.

(And God forbid those crisp uniforms get dirty or loose their creases from actually doing some work before the photo opportunities start.)

So if the Thai police are too proud, or not up to the job, where is the Army with it's martial law?

Didn't I read, a couple of months ago, that the Army was going to be available to the local constabulary in tourist towns? (Pattaya, Phuket, Chang Mai, etc.) Another publicity stunt?

Overkill?Any ex-pats or any regular visitors to Hua Hin over the last few years will tell you of the sudden lockdowns/early closing of the bars there on a Saturday nights without warning when the place was heaving with tourists all down there to just have a good time...and then the 'fun police' come through and close the bars down at some stupid hour for no reason(even 10 pm )one Saturday night!Soi Bintabaht obviously isn't a patch on what it was anyway and will be surprised if it is still there in the next few years to be honest.Ok the attack on the English tourists was a disgusting low act and that certainly had a big impact on tourism numbers for sure...the bomb attacks certainly have scared away the Europeans and Scandanavians as Hua Hin has had such a good reputation as a safe family friendly holiday destination...not anymore unfortunately!

Archived