Police drunk-driving crash lands six in hospital, sparks outrage

rooster59

Police drunk-driving crash lands six in hospital, sparks outrage

Eakkapop Thongtub

1473491958_1-org.jpg

Phang Nga Police last night had to stave off local residents angry after a police officer reeking of alcohol slammed into two motorbikes and a car - leaving six people injured - then fleeing the scene. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: An off-duty police officer reeking of alcohol leaving six people injured after his pickup truck crossed Phetkasem Rd and crashed into them – before the officer fled the scene – last night (Sept 9) has outraged local residents in Phang Nga Town.

More than 30 residents gathered at Phang Nga Muang District Police Station last night, calling for police to test the officer for alcohol and ensure justice is served in conducting their investigation.

Phanom Munthathung, 21, who was one the people knocked down by the policeman’s pickup truck, filed a formal complaint, which was received by Phang Nga Town Police Deputy Chief Lt Col Janepob Buthkinaree.

“I was driving my motorbike, bringing my mother from Phang Nga Town market back to our home in Tak Daet District, at about 9pm,” Mr Phanom said.

A friend of Mr Phanom’s family, Anit Saiburi, was travelling with them, with his two daughters on another motorbike, he added.

“While driving past the Provincial Water Authority on Phetkasem Rd, a pickup truck came across the road and hit both motorbikes,” he said.

The pickup also hit a car, driven by Nisara Chamason, 34, who was driving home to Nop Pring District.

The pickup truck, with Phang Nga licence plates, then fled the scene.

As he and his mother were not seriously injured, Mr Phanom picked up his motorbike and gave pursuit.

“I followed the pickup back to Phang Nga Town market, and I called out for people there to help stop the driver from getting away,” Mr Phanom said.

However, the pickup continued until it reached the temple grounds of Wat Mongkol Sutthawas, where the driver finally stopped.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-drunk-driving-crash-lands-six-in-hospital-sparks-outrage-59058.php#i9TdEyR3ATcqBvcl.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-10

If one can get his liver ruptured from hanging himself with a sock, I guess it must be quite easy here to establish that the alcohol smell came from a spilled bottle, that he ran running for help for the victims, that the bikes and parked cars were driving backwards and hit his car...

In a word, just innocent, no need for action except maybe some financial claims for the victims to pay his car scratches

He's part of the best whom reputation can't be tarnished, remember

6 hours ago, fish monger said:

Did the motor bike drivers have licences...? Did the driver of the car have a licence...?Because where I come from, it's tough sht for you if you don't.... You shouldn't have been on the road in the first place....!

?????

There are no excuses for the actions of this policeman!

Police name drunk-driving hit-and-run officer, two remain in hospital

Yutthawat Lekmak

1473841052_1-org.jpg

Phang Nga Police had to stave off local residents angry after a police officer reeking of alcohol slammed into two motorbikes and a car - leaving six people injured - then fled the scene. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHANG NGA: -- The police officer facing drunk-driving charges after he landed six people in hospital in Phang Nga last Friday night (Sept 10) has been released on B20,000 bail, and police are still waiting on blood-alcohol test results from the Phang Nga Hospital, which police still say will take a week to confirm.

Phang Nga Police, however, have finally released the name of the officer charged: Sub Lt Thanom Haesathit of Phang Nga Muang Police Station.

Phang Nga Provincial Police Chief Col Suwat Kaewprom confirmed to the press that Sub Lt Thanom is facing charges of reckless driving causing injury and fleeing the scene of an accident.

“We are gathering all information for this case and will send it to court,” Col Suwat said.

“Sub Lt Thanom has been released on B20,000 bail,” he added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-name-drunk-driving-hit-and-run-officer-two-remain-in-hospital-59088.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-14

Archived