Climax Bangkok where the party never stops! Unless the soldiers come...

webfact

On 12/9/2016 at 5:39 PM, halloween said:

So once more, we hear that "popular" means you should be able to ignore the nation's laws.

If they are prepared to pay a big enough bribe, they should be able to stay open until 5 while law abiding businesses shut at 2?

No, they should open at midnight, so they can then stay open to 5am like a respectable Thai business. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On September 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM, ctwtn said:

Anyone know what the deal with Hillary Group is? Who is Hillary?

From my impression the Hillary referred to is Hillary Clinton. The original Hillary started sometime in the late nineties during the era of the Monica Lewinsky scandal. This is when the long defunct Clinton Plaza opened at the site of the current Sofitel at Sukhumvit Soi 15 with bars with names like the White House, and I think there was also a Monica's or a  Lewinsky's, as well as Bush Garden (the only survivor at that location). Pretty sure the whole Hillary bar name came out of the same trend of the day.

if I am not mistaken it was a little bit after the Tha Yang lights which are the only lights in between Cha-am and Phetchaburi city.

the annoyance here is that it's about a 20 minutes drive after having already went to the bathroom..

that particular time they were VERY excited to figure out that I was a farang.. I wear a motocross helmet with tinted goggles but as soon as he figured me out he started shouting "farang! farang!" and pointing to me.

Do you look like someone who might so yaba?

On 2016-09-15 at 2:40 PM, hohososo said:

Do you look like someone who might so yaba?

I don't know, on a big bike with full riding gear and motorcross helmet.

couldn't say if other bike riders look like yaba users myself. maybe?

On 9/12/2016 at 4:29 PM, craigt3365 said:

Actually, I know quite a few.  One spent the night in jail after being caught up in a round up here in Pattaya last year.  Everybody who had a copy were let got.  It happens.  You did read that article right?  Kinda proves what I'm saying.  It does happen.

Sorry missed your reply

Yes I think if folks look they will agree those being asked for passports are always in some late night/early am Bar type raid or roundup

Usually done by military or military+ police type raids

None that I know in normal life have ever heard have been asked to prove permission to stay in daylight hours normal traffic stops etc

For stops such as these & yes I have been stopped a few times a Thai DL is sufficient

In fact they are usually a bit sad as they have lost the chance to fine you for not having one :)

If Thailand ever got to the point of long stay expats needing to carry actual passport to go out in public

100% of the time I would not be there

4 hours ago, mania said:

Sorry missed your reply

Yes I think if folks look they will agree those being asked for passports are always in some late night/early am Bar type raid or roundup

Usually done by military or military+ police type raids

None that I know in normal life have ever heard have been asked to prove permission to stay in daylight hours normal traffic stops etc

For stops such as these & yes I have been stopped a few times a Thai DL is sufficient

In fact they are usually a bit sad as they have lost the chance to fine you for not having one :)

If Thailand ever got to the point of long stay expats needing to carry actual passport to go out in public

100% of the time I would not be there

My friend lives in Thong Lor.  He's been stopped several times near the intersection with Suk and checked for passport.  2,000B fine when he doesn't have it. 

If you travel around, you better carry it.  I've been asked to show my passport several times.  Especially when on public transport near the borders.

But yes, it's a rare day when asked to show your passport.  But it does happen.  And normally at night when in a dodgy entertainment venue!

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

My friend lives in Thong Lor.  He's been stopped several times near the intersection with Suk and checked for passport.  2,000B fine when he doesn't have it. 

If you travel around, you better carry it.  I've been asked to show my passport several times.  Especially when on public transport near the borders.

But yes, it's a rare day when asked to show your passport.  But it does happen.  And normally at night when in a dodgy entertainment venue!

That is kind of sad & amazingly archaic at the same time I guess.

Luckily in Chiangmai they dont seem to have latched onto that money maker yet.

But yes sad & in some ways not far from other dictatorships of the past marking certain groups

in some way.

I mean if you live there 5 years etc & need to carry your passport everywhere you go

1- you will likely lose it

2- it will be beat to heck in a year or two

Some folks say a copy is ok but realistically if they want  use needing to see your permission stamp to stay or pay $$$ & that is after all what this is all about

then your likely screwed with even a copy as your pic is not on the same page as the extension to stay stamp....

so logically ( I know funny to talk logic & Imm together )  I could actually understand them claiming a copy is useless

So lets see & hope this trend/abuse does not continue. We just left last month after 5 years happy living but we are planning to return

If this is the new reality I may just think twice about it.

It really makes no sense at all & surly does not reflect the claims being made by the TAT at the 2016 Expat Fair being reported here

I carry a laminated copy with the info page on one side, and the page with my current permission to stay date on the other. Most people I know do the same. 

Edit: I've never had to use it, though, in several years of living around Asok/Thonglor. I once got asked when I happened to have my passport on me, and they only gave it a cursory glance anyway. 

1 minute ago, SoiBiker said:

I carry a laminated copy with the info page on one side, and the page with my current permission to stay date on the other. Most people I know do the same. 

Seems like a simple enough thing to do

But at the same time anyone could use anyone's stamp since stamp is not on same page nor has a name on it

So like I said above...while logic rarely comes into play...so may be fine...but it would be logical to reject a copy someone makes

because the two sides need not have come from the same passport

On 9/12/2016 at 2:45 PM, yellowboat said:

Before article 44, this might be misconstrued as martial law, but thanks to the nimble minds of the Thai military it has been called something else.  This is so people could purchase travel insurance when traveling to or through Thailand.  

I think the party in Bangkok has been over for a long time.  I barely go out anymore.  It is just not that much fun anymore. 

Been over since 1998...

Archived