BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

'HELL ON EARTH': Brit traveller spent nightmare week in cockroach-infested Thai prison because handwash leaked on his passport

'HELL ON EARTH' Brit traveller spent nightmare week in cockroach-infested Thai prison because handwash leaked on his passport

EXCLUSIVE

BY BEN PERRIN AND ANNABEL HOWARD

bt1.jpg

Gavin Topley spent six days in a Thai airport detention centre after being denied entry from Vietnam

Gavin Topley, from Bournemouth, spent six nights sleeping on the floor of a Thai jail after being denied entry from Vietnam for having stain on his passport

BANGKOK: -- A BRIT backpacker was thrown into a cockroach-infested Thai prison for six nights — because handwash gel had leaked on to his passport.

Gavin Topley tried to travel to Vietnam but was refused entry at the border because of the stained travel document and returned to Bangkok.

But his 30-day Thai visa expired and he was held at the airport detainee centre, where he slept on a floor mat in a 30ft by 20ft cell.

Gavin, 30, documented the conditions by taking selfies and snaps on his mobile phone, which he was allowed to keep.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1766286/brit-traveller-spent-nightmare-week-in-cockroach-infested-thai-prison-because-handwash-leaked-on-his-passport/

- THE SUN 2016-09-13

That's about six days more than the red bull scum will ever do!

Of course the British Embassy leaped into action and did their absolute best which probably amounted to very little.

I've read this story before but I think it was Phuket last time.

That wasn't a Thai Prison, but looks like a nice clean detention room. If the British Emabassy had issued him a new passport in a timely manner he probably would have spent 48 hours. Looking at this guy with his tank top and tattoos, I would have refused him entry into

Vietnam. If you dress and act properly you will be treated with respect rather than being put in a detention room.

7 minutes ago, CelticBhoy said:

Looks like the Indians have his back covered   ;)

Just trying to curry favour !

£600 (ThB27000) a week for an English teacher in Vietnam? I rather doubt it. Not only cock roaches,  but some large very pungent rats are involved in this story!

.:)

Unless of course his impeccable dress sense, highly original tattoos and obvious charming personality, together with the brilliant forethought in packing liquid in his hand luggage with his passport means his employer realised he merited such a stellar salary.

I'm a bit confused by this, did he have a 2/3 month multi-entry. (Acquired before he travelled to Thailand).

The Sun says that his 30 day visa had expired, I was under the impression that the 30 day stamp that one receives on arrival is finished once one exits Thailand, having only here maybe for a day or two.

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I'm a bit confused by this, did he have a 2/3 month multi-entry. (Acquired before he travelled to Thailand).

The Sun says that his 30 day visa had expired, I was under the impression that the 30 day stamp that one receives on arrival is finished once one exits Thailand, having only here maybe for a day or two.

My understanding  is that he travelled to Vietnam  from Bangkok, was refused entry because of his damaged passport,was returned to Bangkok where he was again refused entry ( and a further 30 day entry ).

It would be very interesting to know how he approached the immigration officials in both countries.  I rather imagine that has a  lot to do with how he was treated. 

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

That's about six days more than the red bull scum will ever do!

Get over it for goodness sake. 

The topic is thai detention center. 

And thanks to the media coverage of being allowed to keep his phone and the way he had used it to criticise the Thai authorities for doing their job. 

I imagine future foreigner will have their phone confiscated, making it extremely difficult for them. 

Ungrateful sod. 

Do we really need the title repeated five times!

Doesn't look to be having too bad a time but it is surprisingly easy to end up in this predicament if your paperwork is not in order no matter how you dress. I think some of those higher than mighties on here should remember that.

25 minutes ago, JAG said:

My understanding  is that he travelled to Vietnam  from Bangkok, was refused entry because of his damaged passport,was returned to Bangkok where he was again refused entry ( and a further 30 day entry ).

It would be very interesting to know how he approached the immigration officials in both countries.  I rather imagine that has a  lot to do with how he was treated. 

you would suspect that maybe he dosent have the skills to  to help himself  eg manners!!!