'HELL ON EARTH': Brit traveller spent nightmare week in cockroach-infested Thai prison because handwash leaked on his passport

webfact

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tomwct said:

That wasn't a Thai Prison, but looks like a nice clean detention room. If the British Emabassy had issued him a new passport in a timely manner he probably would have spent 48 hours. Looking at this guy with his tank top and tattoos, I would have refused him entry into

Vietnam. If you dress and act properly you will be treated with respect rather than being put in a detention room.

What/

Are you for real?

Respect for another human being depends on the looks?

I am not naive enough to think, people like you don't exist!

So...when you are travelling with a backpack in a tropic country (which I guess, is , was and will always be beneath you) you wear a suite and tie? 

The British embassy should have acted quickly in a case like this they are to blame not the Thai authorities. The embassy is a complete waste of time they do not give a dann about there citizens. When you have a problem they send Thai staff to visit you not british who do not give a dann about you. 

3 minutes ago, Remus1830 said:

The British embassy should have acted quickly in a case like this they are to blame not the Thai authorities. The embassy is a complete waste of time they do not give a dann about there citizens. When you have a problem they send Thai staff to visit you not british who do not give a dann about you. 

Not defending the Brits, but again, you're only getting one side of the story.

There are probably good reasons they didn't issue an ETD and send him home immediately. 

Reasons like, no money for a ticket, deportation paperwork to be prepared by the Thais, failure to cooperate, etc. etc.

I bet, most of you would scream bloody murder, if they were ever treated like this. 

But it happened to someone else, so just spew some hatred for the "idiot" and side with the authorities, we all love so much!

TV never ceases to amaze!

I've spend one night here too after getting refused entry once. Its not very clean but not so dirty. There are at least 12 beds in the main sleeping room. Sleeping on the floor was probably his choice. They allow you to keep your hand luggage and theres electricity to charge your phone or laptop. 3G is working. It is managed by Chubb and their staff is mainly unfriendly.

If you compare this with a real Thai prison this is a million times better, however it is in my opinion not the way you should treat the people you refuse entry for whatever reason.

Ive spent here only one night because I bought the next flight back to The Netherlands on the spot.

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

And thanks to the media coverage of being allowed to keep his phone and the way he had used it to criticise the Thai authorities for doing their job. 

I imagine future foreigner will have their phone confiscated, making it extremely difficult for them. 

Ungrateful sod. 

actually its standard practice for them to confiscate phones and pawn them, this guy probably had the good sense to keep it hidden, I would call that a good move rather then an ungrateful sod

Sorry, but I do not believe a word of this whole story. Refused entry in Vietnam, returned to Thailand with same plane and put in a detention centre? Come on. Without seeing the Thai entry stamp in his passport, my idea is he was on overstay when try to leave Thailand, unable to pay the 500 bt per day overstay fee and thus held in the airport detention centre. And yes then the meter is running at 800 bt per day. Nice try old chap, and stupid article in The Sun.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

More to this that meets the eye. Why was a UK citizen carrying a valid (though dirty) UK passport refused entry to Thailand, where he does not need a visa of any kind? Okay, maybe an immigration officer in Vietnam was having a bad day and decided to make an issue of the stained passport, even though it clearly belonged to the person presenting it, but for it to happen in Thailand too? We only have one side of the story - his. People are not detained for no reason. There's something we are not being told

Exactly my thoughts BB.

36 minutes ago, ManilaMatt said:

There is a big difference between a detention center and a prison. Something does not add up in this story. Sounds like he's butt hurt. Get over it, get on with life. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Check out the dude's photos on the link.  Judging by his wide smiles and coverage by the British tabloid media,  he's revelling in his 15 minutes of fame.   Trying to frame his Motel 6 experience as "H-E-L-L"  fits nicely into his PR opportunity.  

He had to see a trash bin within view of his cushy floor mat.  Oh, the humanity!  :rolleyes:

I don't know how he got the Gel on to his important document but it must have been careless.

Even so I think the Thai Immigration could have ben FLEXIBLE as it was an unusual case.

Seems they say NO when they could help.

Agreed the detention centre was much much better than a prison but still should be clean and provide basics.

3 hours ago, romeijoe said:

you would suspect that maybe he dosent have the skills to  to help himself  eg manners!!!

Back in the 70's had allot of Hippie/Backpackers try to get into Thailand. Mostly scum, looking for handouts. Back then Immigration

would not let you come into the country and a tourist visa was only two weeks. Time to Throw out the Trash here in Thailand !!!!

It gives a bad name to all of us who respect the laws and look and act respectable  !!!!!   :thumbsup:

This situation should never have arisen.

At check in his passport would have been examined. If the airline had any doubts it would be accepted by Vietnamese Immigration they could have scanned it and sent it through for checking before they allowed him to board.

Thai Immigration could have then given him a 7 day emergency extension to allow time for the Embassy to issue emergency travel documents.

The airline would have to return him at their own costs and would probably be fined.

Leaked fluids on his passport.......accidents do happen.

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

This guy is supposed to be a Veterinarian. If it looks like duck, seems like a duck, and quacks like a duck it's not a Veterinarian.

600 pounds per week to teach in Vietnam? If it looks like duck, seems like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's not a Teacher.

I have never heard of a Backpacker Veterinarian. Maybe he's a talented tattooist and going to Vietnam to teach them tattooing.

Now that makes sense, but 27,000 baht per month not per week.

He is "supposed" to be a technician not a veterinarian, there is quite a difference, not that having tattoos nor going backpacking would be meaningful in anyone other than a simpletons mind.

33 minutes ago, titanio82 said:

Sorry, but I do not believe a word of this whole story. Refused entry in Vietnam, returned to Thailand with same plane and put in a detention centre? Come on. Without seeing the Thai entry stamp in his passport, my idea is he was on overstay when try to leave Thailand, unable to pay the 500 bt per day overstay fee and thus held in the airport detention centre. And yes then the meter is running at 800 bt per day. Nice try old chap, and stupid article in The Sun.

With you 100 percent.  There are so many holes in this story or should I say, fairy tale, that it would put a block of Swiss cheese to shame.

I think it is interesting reading to read the comments in the SUN.

A couple of points that are brought up.

1.  Where do you get a 600 pound a week job in SE Asia?

2.  I think that there would be less crud and stuff if they looked after the facility.  They being the inhabitants.

3.  If he was refused entry to Vietnam due to his passport then it is not a Thai issue.

4.  The on ly reason that he would be detained in an immigration facility is if he was OVERSTAY.

I think the scenario is more in this line.

He attempted to go to Vietnam with a passport and 30 day visa that had expired.  

Thai officials detained him because he was overstay and either did not want to pay or could not pay for the overstay fine.

He stayed the number of days to pay for his overstay and was able to fly out to the UK.

He is just a (sorry to say) another idiot or as quoted in the SUN "muppet" that thinks his excrement does not smell and that he is above the law.

Being military I have slept in barracks that would have been a lower standard that\n those facilities.

I might direct those that feel sympathy to the dictionary you can find the word between Sh!t ans syphilis.

I think the story is this: 

He checked onto the plane with a valid passport and went through Thai Immigration.

He boarded the plane and went to Vietnam.

His handwash leaked during the flight.

He got to the other end passport damaged they sent him back to Thailand.

Passport damaged Thais would not let him back in. There he is in no mans land.

But lets hunt him down on facebook and get clarification. 

Quite amazing the superior attitude by so many egoists on here. The guy had an unfortunate spillage and whilst he might have taken more care does that really deserve being locked up for a week? Where was the Embassy at this time? 

The lack of consulat assistance or rather the grindingly slow pace of it is painful to learn and an eye opener as to their utter contemot for their citizens - tattoed or not.

What's he complaining about?  He came to Asia to experience things he could never imagine living back in mom and dad's basement back in the UK. Just think of the stories he will tell his Grandkids.

I imagine the conditions at the detention center were probably better that what he got at the 100 Baht hostel he probably stayed at near Khaosan Road.

Just look at the smile.  He looks like he is having a pretty good time.

Archived