Dutch man with cancer says: Hua Hin Hospital fleeced me because I'm a foreigner

webfact

Dutch man with cancer says: Hua Hin Hospital fleeced me because I'm a foreigner

a1.jpg

Image: Daily News

HUA HIN: -- A man from the Netherlands has complained that the Hua Hin Hospital has fleeced him because he is a foreigner.

He says that he has been married to a Thai woman for ten years and should be treated as anybody else, reported Daily News.

Edwin Buse, 47, a former train engineer, started having treatment for prostate cancer two years ago. He has questioned why he should pay a charge of 300 per visit for foreigners.

And he has no idea what another item is on his bills - namely a charge of 858 baht in one baht units. And nobody else knows what it is either.

Edwin went to Hua Hin police and has also appealed to the government watchdog Damrongtham claiming he is being conned.

He appealed to Thai reporters to help with his case as it has got tied up in red tape for four months now with no action.

They made representations on his behalf but the Public Finance Ministry seemed to confirm that the charges on his bills were irregular.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-13
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only the Europeans.  Free health care apparently spoils you.

If he were American, he'd be marveling at how cheap his treatment was in Hua Hin.  We're accustomed to seeing line after line of obscure charges that only a forensic accountant can decipher.

Why he doesn't get treated in his home country where presumably it's for free

and no one will reap him off? I know I would not risk my health being treated

here by fake doctors and charlatans,

And why he can't understand the charges on the bill? how hard it can be? again,

if it was me, I don't pay until someone explain to me what am I paying for,

Gee, you can't be a pussy and let "doctors"  walk all over you, and with all due

respect to the doctors, I have my rights as well......

am I missing something? ok no explanation for the 858 or that but his bin was 1200+

after ten years I call that a result their charging 2500 + 1000 fee to get an income letter

from the British embassy......900 baht for a bit of lamb.....  

They are trying to make a big story out of this. It is only a few hundred baht he is talking about.

On the other hand it is quite true that Thai hospitals do charge foreigners much more than Thais. I have posted earlier about a quote of 300,000 Thai baht from a Bangkok Hospital being reduced to 150,000 Baht after they found out that I live here. I was eventually charged 100,000 by another hospital.

Oh, some of you ask why he didn't go back to his home country for treatment. He is complaining about 300 Baht doctor fee for foreigners. I guess that is cheaper than paying 50K for a flight home.  Anyway I have noticed that the doctor's fee is about 1000 Baht in Bangkok.

Why didn't I fly home? I have been away for so long that I am not entitled to free treatment.

Your lack of knowledge is laughable. There is no "free" health care. Just percieved free health care.

From your first day of work, a percentage of your wage is taken to cover these costs. You have no say at all about this. In addition the employee pays an even larger percentage of your salary towards your health care.

Today in UK, that comes to 28.8% of income. Free it is not.

9 minutes ago, zoza said:

am I missing something? ok no explanation for the 858 or that but his bin was 1200+

after ten years I call that a result their charging 2500 + 1000 fee to get an income letter

Indeed! Are we talking of 300 baht and 858 baht hospital bills? If so, the non-flying Dutchman could and should be a bit embarressed to make a fuzz.

He should be embarrassed even bringing up that bill.

Where does he get that he was overcharged from?

If his bill was for thousands of baht understandable, not jut a few hundred.

Sorry i do not agree that hospitals here over charge farangs.

Every 3 weeks i go to our local hospital for 3 hours intensive physio 670 baht

Sometimes 1 physio and assistant with me sometimes 2.

Cost is 670 baht  small charge for 2/3 professionals time.

18 minutes ago, zoza said:

I agree. I make a three monthly visit to a hospital on the outskirts of Bangkok to see my cardiologist who does a locum every Saturday morning. I get charged 500 baht for his consultation, 100 baht hospital fee and about 1300 baht for my blood tests which can be extensive. I am extremely happy with the service and the charges. I always enjoy my visits because the hospital staff are so caring and obliging.

1 hour ago, shirtless said:

This is why Thailand is doomed we all know they rip us off , Thais are good at shooting themselves in the foot.

Both, with one shot.

Using buckshot to get a hit.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

If he were American, he'd be marveling at how cheap his treatment was in Hua Hin.  We're accustomed to seeing line after line of obscure charges that only a forensic accountant can decipher.

Not free in Europe, we pay for our health care via our taxes.

Archived