Dutch man with cancer says: Hua Hin Hospital fleeced me because I'm a foreigner

webfact

1 hour ago, keskeseksa said:

Hua Hin Hospital is so inexpensive I wonder how they can survive. Their service is excellent. Being of Dutch nationality, I apologise for this abject Dutch citizen. Let him get his treatment at private hospitals.

He seems young so I wonder what he does for a living because he seems to have much time to go around slandering the country that hosts him.

I go to the Hua Hin hospital for ultrasound physiotherapy twice a week. It cost me Bt200 per session. Which I find ridiculously cheap, but I suppose our Dutch friend would call it expensive!!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was still lucky.

Recently I went to the BKK-hospital in Hua-hin for removing a simple inflamed fat abscess on my back.

I did not know there had to be negotiated.

They told me the prices will be 9500thb, so I replied, sorry I'll go to another hospital because thats much to high.

The nurse talk with the docter in Thai, and she ask what price I like to pay, so I told them the maximum I like to pay is not more then 5000 thb.

She, moreover I got the feeling she was the supervisor in making the deal, and not the doctor, reply okay about 5000thb, I replied, no 5000thb and not a penny more.

Then she agree.

After they remove the abscess, i had to go to the paid section, where the bill was 5300thb, after I get angry, they lower the price to 5000 thb.

This was for me an unbelievable experience, I think never I visit that hospital again.

6 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What a load of rubbish, the foreigner would have paid after 10 years, like everyone else through tax contributions.

No, I think he try to explaine all the refugees including many BS, coming together, who are coming to europe, and especially to Holland, get everything for free, a house a Miele washingmachine , medical costs, money and you named.

, everything for free, no different you'll stay for a month or 10 years.

Maybe then you can understand he complaining about the bill.

He says that he has been married to a Thai woman for ten years and should be treated as anybody else, reported Daily News.

Edwin Buse, 47, a former train engineer, started having treatment for prostate cancer two years ago. He has questioned why he should pay a charge of 300 per visit for foreigners.

1. "Anybody else" has not been married to a Thai woman for ten years, so what is he complaining about? That he was not charged the same as every other person, or that he was not charged the same as every other foreign man married to a Thai woman for ten years?
  2. Where in the description of the 300 Baht feet does it say that this is a fee charged exclusively to foreigners? I see no such reference.

If the reporters of the Daily News failed to do some investigative reporting let us here on Thaivisa do it. Does somebody know this Edwin Buse and can induce him to register on Thaivisa and answer the open questions in this topic?

9 hours ago, chrissables said:

Only the Europeans.  Free health care apparently spoils you.

Your lack of knowledge is laughable. There is no "free" health care. Just percieved free health care.

From your first day of work, a percentage of your wage is taken to cover these costs. You have no say at all about this. In addition the employee pays an even larger percentage of your salary towards your health care.

Today in UK, that comes to 28.8% of income. Free it is not.

True enough. But if your wife and kids don't work and pay NI they still get free treatment. So your contribution has to cover more.

I used to loose around 50% of my pay in stoppages, tax, NI etc. My German mates lost more. So this notion of free health, education etc isn't really factual. 

Difference is Americans get to choose how and where they spend it. Our wonderful governments take that responsibility for us!

9 hours ago, petedk said:

They are trying to make a big story out of this. It is only a few hundred baht he is talking about.

On the other hand it is quite true that Thai hospitals do charge foreigners much more than Thais. I have posted earlier about a quote of 300,000 Thai baht from a Bangkok Hospital being reduced to 150,000 Baht after they found out that I live here. I was eventually charged 100,000 by another hospital.

Oh, some of you ask why he didn't go back to his home country for treatment. He is complaining about 300 Baht doctor fee for foreigners. I guess that is cheaper than paying 50K for a flight home.  Anyway I have noticed that the doctor's fee is about 1000 Baht in Bangkok.

Why didn't I fly home? I have been away for so long that I am not entitled to free treatment.

Not only that he is no longer entitled to free medical care because he has been away 10-years from Holland.

Under the Brussels EU Unelected clique he in all probability after ten-years not living in Holland, now is NOT a Dutch citizen anymore. Ask me, that's how I became statenloos because the Dutch Law of centuries that a born in Nederland person can NEVER loose its citizenship, now under the EU Constitution  which the Dutch and French people in a referendum refused to accept but was regardless of the referendum rammed down the throats of the Dutch and French people with the help from the Master race, that law a couple years ago was thrown in the paper shredder.

LOL in LOS

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

Have a friend in the UK with a Thai wife,she has been living there for about 18yrs, never worked in the U.K. So obviously she has never paid income tax. Her husband who claims industrial injury benifits, will of course pay vat on goods purchased.

The Dutchman will have paid tax on any income he may have earned in Thailand ( article does not say ) or if he's living off foreign  income, then again he would likely have paid Thai vat, from that same imported money.

But at the end of the day it ain't about how much tax he has paid, and he probably has contributed anyway - but about not being overcharged cos he is a foreigner. 

Something the TVF posters always moan about and when someone actually takes a stand, he is shot down for it  with a load of rubbish about tax, I had to pay when I was young, health care in the West blah blah blah....

And one anecdote does nothing against the research etc about contributions from immigrants to the UK systerm, and anyway this isn't really about that is it, it is about the Dutch guy. 

1 minute ago, swerver said:

Not only that he is no longer entitled to free medical care because he has been away 10-years from Holland.

Under the Brussels EU Unelected clique he in all probability after ten-years not living in Holland, now is NOT a Dutch citizen anymore. Ask me, that's how I became statenloos because the Dutch Law of centuries that a born in Nederland person can NEVER loose its citizenship, now under the EU Constitution  which the Dutch and French people in a referendum refused to accept but was regardless of the referendum rammed down the throats of the Dutch and French people with the help from the Master race, that law a couple years ago was thrown in the paper shredder.

LOL in LOS

So, how come as a Brit, also still under the EU, I have not lost my citizenship? And lots of other Europeans haven't either... I smell BS on this one 

1 hour ago, off road pat said:

Yes, probably,...but he is not a American. he comes from a much more advanced country were free or inexpensive health care is a right he's father and grandfather fought for....

Regards.

Advanced?

Or maybe one that spends so little of their GDP on their NATO commitments that they have spare change left over for universal health care.  Perhaps if the USA didn't have to pick up their slack, we would, too.

And, you should probably check your facts.  They were invaded on the 10th and surrendered on the 15th of the same month.  Held out for 5 whole days.  I think that's even faster than the French.  (Had the highest percentage of collaborators of the Western European occupied territories, too)  Then, it was up to the US barbarians to liberate them 4-5 years later, and then the USA paid to defend them from the Commies for the next 50 years.  (Edit:  BTW- You're welcome- enjoy your universal health care.)

10 hours ago, shirtless said:

This is why Thailand is doomed we all know they rip us off , Thais are good at shooting themselves in the foot.

this guy is a Dutch. he is married to a thai for ten years. not all countries accord spouses similar privleges as the locals. it is thus fair for the hospital to charge him foreigner rates but there is no justification at all for the hospital to pad charges which are not explained or explainable. the hospital must account for that.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

Only the Europeans.  Free health care apparently spoils you.

If he were American, he'd be marveling at how cheap his treatment was in Hua Hin.  We're accustomed to seeing line after line of obscure charges that only a forensic accountant can decipher.

it is beyond shadow of doubt that  treatment is cheaper than the western countries and even some asian countries.that does not mean that the hospital can pad the bill and include items that are not explained.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why he doesn't get treated in his home country where presumably it's for free

and no one will reap him off? I know I would not risk my health being treated

here by fake doctors and charlatans,

And why he can't understand the charges on the bill? how hard it can be? again,

if it was me, I don't pay until someone explain to me what am I paying for,

Gee, you can't be a pussy and let "doctors"  walk all over you, and with all due

respect to the doctors, I have my rights as well......

precisely that is the issue. bill contains charges that the hospital too cannot explain.

35 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

So, how come as a Brit, also still under the EU, I have not lost my citizenship? And lots of other Europeans haven't either... I smell BS on this one 

it seems to me that citizenship is not the issue of this post, then why are we digressing.

36 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

As a Brit, you haven't lost your citizenship, but you may possibly no longer be considered a resident of the UK, which does affect rights to welfare assistance if ever you were to need them upon returning.

1 minute ago, sahibji said:

it is beyond shadow of doubt that  treatment is cheaper than the western countries and even some asian countries.that does not mean that the hospital can pad the bill and include items that are not explained.

I agree with that completely.  But he's claiming it's because he's a foreigner, and I'm saying it's happened to me.  A white guy.  In the USA.  So maybe it's not about cheating the foreigner.

Just about everyone I know treated in the fee-for-services health care market has similar complaints about hospital bills.  None of them were foreigners treated in Thailand.

41 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

it seems to me that citizenship is not the issue of this post, then why are we digressing.

9 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Mr.Dutchman you have stayed here for 10 years but have you ever paid income tax here ? Because this is where the money comes from to pay for your treatment or do you think the treatment cost what you were charged ? Yes I know the old farang excuses of paying so much VAT and spending so much money here supporting their wives/gf. How much will I pay as a non-Dutch citizen if I go for treatment in the Netherlands ? Will it be less than €40? What will the Dutch peoples reaction be if I complain about this cost? Then my last question is why do you not return to your hkme country to get treatment if you feel you are getting ripped off here ?

a bit personal but sure for Euro40.00 you may not even get  a consultation.

I went to the Bangkok hospital in Prachom and was asked 2 149 Bath to clean both ears, very professional, very modern facilities. A single visit to a Dr in the USA (last month) cost me $101 consultation only no treatment so I do not think they overcharge foreigners.

2 hours ago, Puccini said:

Does he?

1. Free, it is not: "everyone has to take out their own basic healthcare insurance (basisverzekering), except those under 18 who are automatically covered under their parents' premium" (https://goo.gl/kA3kYG)
  2. Inexpensive is a subjective term.

Subjective ? Yes, you are right...and it is still a whole lot cheaper than in the US of A ! ..I know of no Dutchman (Nederlander) who had to sell he's house and belongings to pay for hospital costs !!! But I met a few Americans who had !!!

Regards.

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

He should be embarrassed even bringing up that bill.

Where does he get that he was overcharged from?

If his bill was for thousands of baht understandable, not jut a few hundred.

Sorry i do not agree that hospitals here over charge farangs.

Every 3 weeks i go to our local hospital for 3 hours intensive physio 670 baht

Sometimes 1 physio and assistant with me sometimes 2.

Cost is 670 baht  small charge for 2/3 professionals time.

what you pay here is a fraction of what you would pay in the US even with health insurance that u pay a $300 per month for, I ended up with a bill for $10.000 that was not covered by insurance after my prostrate cancer treatment 

14 hours ago, useronthenet said:

you will always get treated the same, as a foreigner you have big money compared to Thais, hence the farang price. This goes right across the board.

I disagree with you.  When I buy food on the street I pay the same price as Thais. I go to the movies I pay the same price. I buy something at Central same price. Taxi I pay the same price, they dont want to use a meter I get another taxi. I went to the hospital in BKK got great service, had a few xrays, given some pain killers, same price as a Thai 500B for everything.  Sure if you buy something on street they are going to give you a high price everyone knows that and you need to bargain same as a Thai does. If you get ripped off then its your own fault, nobody is forcing you to buy anything!! Dont like the price dont buy it. 

2 hours ago, Missing Troll said:

what you pay here is a fraction of what you would pay in the US even with health insurance that u pay a $300 per month for, I ended up with a bill for $10.000 that was not covered by insurance after my prostrate cancer treatment 

Why do Americans always bring the discussion back to the USA. This report is in regard to a Dutchman in Thailand.

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This guy is out of his mind. Why should be be treated like a Thai person? He has to expect if he goes to a hospital here, he is going to pay more than a Thai person, who is at least partially covered by the national health care system. The hospitals here cost a fraction of what they do in the US, and probably in Europe. What is his problem?

Infectious greed

Archived