Dutch man with cancer says: Hua Hin Hospital fleeced me because I'm a foreigner

webfact

18 hours ago, impulse said:

Only the Europeans.  Free health care apparently spoils you.

If he were American, he'd be marveling at how cheap his treatment was in Hua Hin.  We're accustomed to seeing line after line of obscure charges that only a forensic accountant can decipher.

So! Because America fails to provide free health care, this European living permanently in Thailand is wrong to question his bill? Really?  Is there something in this logic I'm missing? 

Answers on a post card please.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, impulse said:

I agree with that completely.  But he's claiming it's because he's a foreigner, and I'm saying it's happened to me.  A white guy.  In the USA.  So maybe it's not about cheating the foreigner.

Just about everyone I know treated in the fee-for-services health care market has similar complaints about hospital bills.  None of them were foreigners treated in Thailand.

Flawed logic.  The fact that American hospitals can get away with doing this even to their own citizens doesn't really have much to do with the allegation that Thai hospitals focus their victimization on foreigners and not on native Thais.  He's saying it happened to him because he's a foreigner if you're an American and this happens to you in an American hospital, you obviously can't claim it has anything to do with foreigner status, can you?

11 hours ago, impulse said:

I agree with that completely.  But he's claiming it's because he's a foreigner, and I'm saying it's happened to me.  A white guy.  In the USA.  So maybe it's not about cheating the foreigner.

Just about everyone I know treated in the fee-for-services health care market has similar complaints about hospital bills.  None of them were foreigners treated in Thailand.

Flawed logic.  The fact that American hospitals can get away with doing this even to their own citizens doesn't really have much to do with the allegation that Thai hospitals focus their victimization on foreigners and not on native Thais.  He's saying it happened to him because he's a foreigner if you're an American and this happens to you in an American hospital, you obviously can't claim it has anything to do with foreigner status, can you?

23 hours ago, shirtless said:

This is why Thailand is doomed we all know they rip us off , Thais are good at shooting themselves in the foot.

22 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

I've been hearing people say that for a decade. It was bullshit then as it is now

I use Samitivej in Bangkok. Never been ripped off. Thais pay exactly the same as farangs

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

I disagree with you.  When I buy food on the street I pay the same price as Thais. I go to the movies I pay the same price. I buy something at Central same price. Taxi I pay the same price, they dont want to use a meter I get another taxi. I went to the hospital in BKK got great service, had a few xrays, given some pain killers, same price as a Thai 500B for everything.  Sure if you buy something on street they are going to give you a high price everyone knows that and you need to bargain same as a Thai does. If you get ripped off then its your own fault, nobody is forcing you to buy anything!! Dont like the price dont buy it. 

I think your very naive ...

National Parks dual pricing ... Thais cheaper than foreigners

Temples: Thais cheaper than foreigners for example 

more info here http://www.2pricethailand.com

No big deal that us rich (relatively) farangs should be expected to pay a little at some venues. After all, we choose to be in their tropical country for whatever reason. So big deal, about one dollar of my home country money. 

image.jpeg

I live in Thailand most of the time. And go to the doctor occasionally for emergencies. I have ALWAYS been told at the government run hospitals (when I get my bill) that this  is the foreigner price. There is a foreigher price and a Thai price. It is normal, and I think fair IMO. I have never felt cheated!

In about every country in the world you will be handed a larger than local bill with explanation such as...

"This is the price for an outpatient who isnt under the <insert country > health care sytem"

But when the usual keyboard warriors here the words "farang price" they go totally rabid.

I guess TV is never boring in its predictability.

The Dutch guy needs to wake up to himself also. Treatment like that here is probably the cheapest in the world for a non native.

And how much has he saved in 10 years if never had insurance, and now quibbles over a few hundred baht.

Beyond me how Thai women marry these guys. They must never heard the reputation of the Dutch.

In about every country in the world you will be handed a larger than local bill with explanation such as...

"This is the price for an outpatient who isnt under the <insert country > health care system"

But when the usual keyboard warriors here the words "farang price" they go totally rabid.

I guess TV is never boring in its predictability.

The Dutch guy needs to wake up to himself also. Treatment like that here is probably the cheapest in the world for a non native.

And how much has he saved in 10 years if never had insurance, and now quibbles over a few hundred baht.

Beyond me how Thai women marry these guys. They must never heard the reputation of the Dutch.

If you dont stand up and fight - nothing will ever change! doesnt matter if its 300 baht or 300k - i applaud this guy for getting off his butt and doing something! Just imagine the if all the THAIVISA whiners instead of venting to each other on here instead went the same route as him.  Thai watchdog, reporters social media... we may actually see some modicum of change!

One of you here was conflating the ranking of U.S. health CARE and health INSURANCE (whether government or private). The United States certainly does not rank 37th purely in health care standards. That ranking exists because it considers the lack of affordable health INSURANCE for many people. Why do you think heads of state go to such places as the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Sloan Kettering, all some of the best hospitals in the world? And as i said before, once you reach 65 in the US, you can pay less than $300 and all medical care is absolutely free if you choose the right Medicare Supplement, as I did. No deductibles or co-pays and you can go to almost any facility you want. I really get tired of self-righteous Europeans on health care. Recently I saw a Dutch movie in which a young woman said she couldn't go to the doctor because she didn't have the money. Excuse me? A woman in the Netherlands couldn't go to the doc for lack of money? Very strange free health care.

16 hours ago, raphoedon said:

So! Because America fails to provide free health care, this European living permanently in Thailand is wrong to question his bill? Really?  Is there something in this logic I'm missing? 

Answers on a post card please.

Question it?  Fine.  Absolutely.  That's one thing we learn early about medical invoices.  They're complicated, and vulnerable to mistakes.

Accuse them of cheating him?  And because he's a foreigner?  Probably not so fine.

I'm amazed at the people who always think they're being cheated whenever they get hit with a charge that's different than "back home" (where the prices are always clearly marked and everyone pays the same clearly marked price because their government protected them from ever having to actually negotiate anything).  When the dust has settled, they usually find out that the charges were reasonable and customary and that they just weren't familiar with how that industry works.  And they eventually figure out that living overseas in a strange country has a learning curve.

My suggestion:  Hand the invoice to an American who raised a sick kid.  They can probably walk you through it line by line and tell you exactly what each charge is, and whether it's a scam.  Because they've done it dozens (hundreds?) of times to get their kid to adulthood.  And they've probably disputed charges dozens (hundreds?) of times, too.   Sometimes they were right.  Sometimes they were wrong.

Folks who grew up with socialized medicine never have to learn how to negotiate a hospital invoice.   Someone else does it for them.

Health care the world over take the piss.  I had Phuket International hospital try billing me  over 40,000 thb for a glucose drip for my son which I specifically asked for. But they mask ridiculous charges with unnecessary tests etc  a private room for  a few hours that was unnecessary. fortunately in my instance I refused to pay and they soon reduced the charge to around 6,000 . still a lot of money for a drip!!

Most common though is that every Dr. will prescribe a carrier bag full of pills you simply don't need or use and put them in  little un marked  bags, making it hard to identify what it is they have actually given you, so you can't stick them in a drawer and use them sometime in the future. 

My sister came to Thailand last year and had a small accident in Hua Hin. She visited a private hospital (without calling me) and payed over 5000 Baht for seeing a doctor, some bandage and medicine. Then she came up to see me in Sukothai where we went to the local government hospital as she had developed diarrhea. After blood and stool samples the doctor concluded the diarrhea was caused by the medication so she needed medication to treat the diarrhea and new medication for her initial wound, they also cleaned the wound and changed the bandages. The bill became huge... just over 500 Baht.

So my conclusion is that the private hospitals might be good but they are clearly overcharging!

3 minutes ago, peergin said:

Makes me feel ashamed of being Dutch. I'd like to send him a razor + some shaving cream + a pair of scissors + a comb.

I won't charge him. I just need to know where to send it.

to tell you the truth you shame the dutch well enough on your own. 

you are far too shallow to see beyond the beard and read the actual story.

i suppose we should be thankful you suggested a razor and scissors over chemo

11 hours ago, useronthenet said:

I think your very naive ...

National Parks dual pricing ... Thais cheaper than foreigners

Temples: Thais cheaper than foreigners for example 

more info here http://www.2pricethailand.com

Like I said if they charge more dont go. Thats what I do.  Also you guys always bring up the parks. Same thing happens in the USA. Example is Disney World in Florida you get a discount if you live in Florida.  You have a choice nobody is forcing you to go..

On 9/13/2016 at 11:56 AM, impulse said:

Advanced?

Or maybe one that spends so little of their GDP on their NATO commitments that they have spare change left over for universal health care.  Perhaps if the USA didn't have to pick up their slack, we would, too.

And, you should probably check your facts.  They were invaded on the 10th and surrendered on the 15th of the same month.  Held out for 5 whole days.  I think that's even faster than the French.  (Had the highest percentage of collaborators of the Western European occupied territories, too)  Then, it was up to the US barbarians to liberate them 4-5 years later, and then the USA paid to defend them from the Commies for the next 50 years.  (Edit:  BTW- You're welcome- enjoy your universal health care.)

Well, there is a lot to answer here, The communists were never a threat in Europe, Only The American government pushed this agenda so they can sell NATO to most of the world ! The Communists (Soviet's) lost over "twenty Million" (20 000 000 both civilian and military.) People in the second world war !!! Every family lost at least someone, so there is no one that wants to go to war again in that country. Every European country has a communist political party and they were never a threat ! on the contrary they helped advance the social system. most European country's have Communist people in Parliament, or in one or another level of Government. We don't have problems with this.

The Netherlands were invaded ? Just look at the size of The Netherlands compared to Germany or France, sins you mentioned it !!!) it's so small you have difficulty parking your car without crossing a border !!! so they got invaded by the Germans ? big deal.. !?!? so did the rest of Europe ! "(Had the highest percentage of collaborators of the Western European occupied territories, too)" this is true !!!

the dutch have a great social security system because they fought there government and the big financial companies to get this far.

And by the way I know of no Dutch person who had to sell he's house or belonging to pay for a Hospital stay or major operation ! but I know of a few Americans who had to !

And at last, I have Dutch, German, French, Swiss, Italian, British, Australian, Canadian and American friends....to name a few countries.

And I am Belgian !!! We have a similar social system, and It's great !!!...I just went to the Doctor a block away to my house this afternoon, for a couple of ailments and I just had to pay ..2.. Euro for the consultation. (less than 2 $ US) Tomorrow I will go to the Pharmacist to get the prescribed Medicine and I probably will have to pay something between +/- 5 to 10 Euro..... I just love it !!!!!!

Instead of wasting Billions to finance useless overseas wars? we have a universal health care instead ! I prefer it this way, by far.

Best regards.

On 9/13/2016 at 11:56 AM, impulse said:

Advanced?

Or maybe one that spends so little of their GDP on their NATO commitments that they have spare change left over for universal health care.  Perhaps if the USA didn't have to pick up their slack, we would, too.

And, you should probably check your facts.  They were invaded on the 10th and surrendered on the 15th of the same month.  Held out for 5 whole days.  I think that's even faster than the French.  (Had the highest percentage of collaborators of the Western European occupied territories, too)  Then, it was up to the US barbarians to liberate them 4-5 years later, and then the USA paid to defend them from the Commies for the next 50 years.  (Edit:  BTW- You're welcome- enjoy your universal health care.)

Good that someone is scrutinizing their hospital bills and charges.

The thing , amongst many things, that is irksome is how the hospital staff and administration seldom will give you a confirmed cost quotation or explain the costs of certain hospital fees ( before ) you agree to use their service(s)

You basically have to shop around and you will learn there are wide discrepancies in the prices quoted to you while the cheaper prices that are quoted to you at some hospital facilities commonly come with hidden fees presented to you after the operation or services are supplied.....plus the costs of medicines at any hospital are 3 to 5 times what you can buy the same medicines for at any drug store outlet.

Meantime the hospital charges here in Thailand are not all that cheap...for Thailand that is ....while for those living here, comparing the prices to your home country may appease you and others, but still the health care system here in Thailand is a "for profit" affair and one of Thailand's most lucrative and profitable sectors of the growing economy.

Most Thai people, as in 90% of them, can not afford to get sick as the hospitals do not give them any special breaks on the prices rather try to charge as much as they can get away with....and then negotiate the final invoice with the client.... if need be.

Cheers

Only a real dumb foreigner would disagree that this man is being robbed in plain sight. Same all doctors small large surgery and hospitals do happily to falang.  A long time back the big Prayut had a brain fart. Oh gee I are concerned foreigners getting robbed oh no over charged. Ok robbed falang skun like a cat. 

Yes who cares this is our country and we do not give a toss about you.I do not like whites and now I marry China.

Dental work that was diagnosed to cost $25,000 $35,000 in Bangkok because it would require several implants was fixed very nicely here in Tokyo for $1,850 utilising a five-tooth bridge and various ceramic fillings.  Some of the teeth that were to be extracted turned out to be sound when  X-rayed in Tokyo.  Beware Thai dentists!

Archived