Police name drunk-driving hit-and-run officer, two remain in hospital

snoop1130

Police name drunk-driving hit-and-run officer, two remain in hospital

Yutthawat Lekmak

1473841052_1-org.jpg

Phang Nga Police had to stave off local residents angry after a police officer reeking of alcohol slammed into two motorbikes and a car - leaving six people injured - then fled the scene. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- The police officer facing drunk-driving charges after he landed six people in hospital in Phang Nga last Friday night (Sept 10) has been released on B20,000 bail, and police are still waiting on blood-alcohol test results from the Phang Nga Hospital, which police still say will take a week to confirm.

Phang Nga Police, however, have finally released the name of the officer charged: Sub Lt Thanom Haesathit of Phang Nga Muang Police Station.

Phang Nga Provincial Police Chief Col Suwat Kaewprom confirmed to the press that Sub Lt Thanom is facing charges of reckless driving causing injury and fleeing the scene of an accident.

“We are gathering all information for this case and will send it to court,” Col Suwat said.

“Sub Lt Thanom has been released on B20,000 bail,” he added.

“We also waiting for the alcohol test from Phang Nga Hospital, which I was told will take up to a week for the results to come back. If his alcohol level is confirmed as more than 50mg (per 100ml of blood) , he will be charged with drunk driving,” said Col Suwat.

In Thailand, the standard Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) limit for operating a vehicle is 0.05 per cent.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-name-drunk-driving-hit-and-run-officer-two-remain-in-hospital-59088.php#bi0LvykdyFlRTso1.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-14

To be fair, bail is always much lower for Thais working in the public sector. However, the implication of your post that he will be shown favouritism is extremely likely.

It is worth noting that this was not a pleb plod but a commissioned officer, albeit a very junior one.

Watch something  go wrong in the alcohol/drug test from the hospital like along the lines of the test was inconclusive and should be redone but of course redoing the test would require a time machine....or the test sample got loss...dropped....etc.   Then the driver just needs to deal with a reckless driving charge versus reckless driving while under the influence.   If he had insurance then the insurance company will get to pickup the entire compensation costs where they may not have if the driver was under the influence of drugs/alcohol.   Pretty soon it's just another unfortunate minor accident.

15 hours ago, eisfeld said:

How come a blood alcohol test takes a week when breathalizers can do it instantly? How can they test numerous sicknesses via blood test from HIV over low iron levels to dengue fever in a matter of 1-2h but this test takes a week?

You are quite right, depending on the technology employed the test will be done in a matter of minutes. More alarming is the use of a hospital lab to do this. Whilst I am not questioning their competence to perform the test just how that would stand up in court if it was not certified for forensic work may be an easy get out.

16 hours ago, eisfeld said:

How come a blood alcohol test takes a week when breathalizers can do it instantly? How can they test numerous sicknesses via blood test from HIV over low iron levels to dengue fever in a matter of 1-2h but this test takes a week?

the cop needs to be given time to offer compensation to the victims. if he can pay off the victims and they dont push for any other punishment then the cops wont hand the case on to the prosecutor. blood tests can come back clean or with a low level of alcohol and everyone is happy. seems like a strange system but the longer you live here the more you can come to accept it.

22 hours ago, Chivas said:

Hopefully a decent stretch at the very least and obviously huge compensation

a week to get the results of a blood test? where they sending it? to Vietnam?

I get the results of my blood tests in two Hours! of course i pay for them. I smell a cover up with the hospital saying that the blood was to "old" just wait and see.

Archived