Twenty injured - one seriously - as fans riot after Muang Thong football match

webfact

Twenty injured - one seriously - as fans riot after Muang Thong football match

p4.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Twenty people were injured including police and soldiers as violence erupted after a football match in Muang Thong Thani, northern Bangkok, last night.

Authorities had to use water cannon to try to quell the riot that Nonthaburi police admitted was out of control, reported Sanook.

The violence occurred under the expressway and in roads leading from the SCG Stadium after a Toyota League Cup semi final second leg match between Muang Thong United and Port ended 1-1. The result meant Muang Thong progressed to the final.

Twenty supporterss, police and soldiers ended up in two hospitals - Krung Thai and Cholaprathan. One seriously injured fan was reportedly now out of danger at Cholaprathan Hospital.

Nonthaburi police spokesman Susak Prakkamakun said that no arrests had been made yet as evidence is gathered to arrest the ringleaders.

He defended the force's actions saying that procedures were in place to deal with potential trouble but admitted that the situation spiraled out of control and violence on this level had not been experienced before.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-15

I was at the game last night, in the away end. Followed Port to many away games and we always get a warm welcome, but the atmosphere at MT last night was very hostile & unpleasant. They may be the wealthiest club in the country, but money can't buy class it seems. 

10 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

I don't understand what makes people so stupid after a soccer match.  They are just as crazy as the Europeans over a sport that means nothing in real life.

"...over a sport that means nothing in real life."

Football is the most watched sport in the world and whether we like it or not, it has an impact on millions of peoples lives. Betting both the legal and illegal, Thai style, club clothing makers, TV rights, it's worth hundreds of billions of dollars, pounds, whatever.

Footbal fever affects many people, not just in Europe but around the world. It's a shame that people have to get so angry over results in a sport.

Football is an outlet for many people, a way of working off a bit of anger or frustration. There aren't many other opportunities in life to stand around shouting & singing your head off in public. But some people take it a bit too far. But I have to say I've met the nicest people I know in Thailand - locals and farangs - at football. 

2 hours ago, Timmaayy said:

I was at the game last night, in the away end. Followed Port to many away games and we always get a warm welcome, but the atmosphere at MT last night was very hostile & unpleasant. They may be the wealthiest club in the country, but money can't buy class it seems. 

At the game last night ... 

were there any bad calls by the umpires?

any more than usual ?  just wondering if there were things to set them off...

3 hours ago, Timmaayy said:

But let's face it, there is a history of Muang Thong fighting, especially with Port FC. It was hardly a surprise. You are right though, they are a team with no class. 

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"...over a sport that means nothing in real life."

Football is the most watched sport in the world and whether we like it or not, it has an impact on millions of peoples lives. Betting both the legal and illegal, Thai style, club clothing makers, TV rights, it's worth hundreds of billions of dollars, pounds, whatever.

Footbal fever affects many people, not just in Europe but around the world. It's a shame that people have to get so angry over results in a sport.

To bad they cannot make a pill to fix football fever. Sorry but I cannot see the sense in a bunch of overly skinny long haired fleet of foot over paid full of testosterone young males running up and down the field chasing a ball. It kind of reminds of the one silly season that I played golf. I have better things to do with my time like ranting here on TV. I am tired of the whole beat em up burn cars scene peoples property/livelihood destroyed and people hurt in the name of sports which is supposed to promote sportsmanship qualities. Newsflash!! Its failing. Sometimes I think sports was invented to take our minds off of more important things in life like the jerks who are pulling the levers of power. Yes the overpriced shirt, merchandise makers make a fortune and throw in the TV rights and its worth billions. Billions for the .01% who already own everything. Again a great distraction to divert our attention away from the more serious things in life. Its a ploy by governments like beauty contests, the Kardashians, football, baseball, hockey to divert our attention away from this <deleted> world. They are the modern gladiators attention seekers of sports the people that misdirect us away from the truth. On the flip side of the coin there is the rest of us poor smuck wanna be's. Sorry to burst the bubble of all the beer swilling sport wanna be's. We live in an emulation world to glorify golden gods of the arena. Sorry for rant I just returned from a grueling morning at immigration. Its funny how the nice plastic chairs from last year disappeared to be replaced by hard wooden stools to park my butt on for 5 hours. I guess they are trying to tell me at my advanced age to get an agent which I will never do.  

^ Nothing wrong with their attitudes they are not "questioning" the "government"!

It's been said football is the new religion, keeps people occupied, shame they are not smart enough to realise what the "governments" around the world are really up to!

Try having an intelligent conversation with a Celtic or Rangers supporter :whistling:

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I don't understand what makes people so stupid after a soccer match.  They are just as crazy as the Europeans over a sport that means nothing in real life.

Not just Europeans .... Football rivalry was the tipping point for a war between El Salvador and Honduras a few decades ago: The Soccer War. Canadians have gone on rampages over hockey and Americans over baseball. Something deep in the human psych..... 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

To bad they cannot make a pill to fix football fever. Sorry but I cannot see the sense in a bunch of overly skinny long haired fleet of foot over paid full of testosterone young males running up and down the field chasing a ball. It kind of reminds of the one silly season that I played golf. I have better things to do with my time like ranting here on TV. I am tired of the whole beat em up burn cars scene peoples property/livelihood destroyed and people hurt in the name of sports which is supposed to promote sportsmanship qualities. Newsflash!! Its failing. Sometimes I think sports was invented to take our minds off of more important things in life like the jerks who are pulling the levers of power. Yes the overpriced shirt, merchandise makers make a fortune and throw in the TV rights and its worth billions. Billions for the .01% who already own everything. Again a great distraction to divert our attention away from the more serious things in life. Its a ploy by governments like beauty contests, the Kardashians, football, baseball, hockey to divert our attention away from this <deleted> world. They are the modern gladiators attention seekers of sports the people that misdirect us away from the truth. On the flip side of the coin there is the rest of us poor smuck wanna be's. Sorry to burst the bubble of all the beer swilling sport wanna be's. We live in an emulation world to glorify golden gods of the arena. Sorry for rant I just returned from a grueling morning at immigration. Its funny how the nice plastic chairs from last year disappeared to be replaced by hard wooden stools to park my butt on for 5 hours. I guess they are trying to tell me at my advanced age to get an agent which I will never do.  

and that was conspiracy theory number 495, brought to you by the Monster Raving Loony Party.

5 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

done by the crazed morons who have no notion about what sports and sportsmanship is. they let their emotions cloud their thinking and end up doing stupid deeds. they are also possibly aware that enforcement will be weak and hence run riot over the smallest of things.

2 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

At the game last night ... 

were there any bad calls by the umpires?

any more than usual ?  just wondering if there were things to set them off...

Not really, wasn't a particularly controversial game. 1-1 draw which meant MT beat us 3-2 on aggregate to go to the League Cup final. Just the fact that MT & Port have a lot of previous "history" and there were fans on both sides looking for trouble from the start. It's also a horrible place to watch football, a crappy corrugated iron stadium surrounded by flyovers, ditches & industrial wasteland, all of it conducive to those who want a ruck. And as I said, I've never encountered such hostile, unfriendly supporters anywhere in Thailand. Normally enjoy going to away games & having a laugh with the locals, but that was never a possibility last night. 

5 hours ago, Timmaayy said:

it could even be orchestrated by book makers and have nothing to do with football as a game.

Archived