Twenty injured - one seriously - as fans riot after Muang Thong football match

webfact

4 hours ago, Timmaayy said:

Football is an outlet for many people, a way of working off a bit of anger or frustration. There aren't many other opportunities in life to stand around shouting & singing your head off in public. But some people take it a bit too far. But I have to say I've met the nicest people I know in Thailand - locals and farangs - at football. 

it is only the small number of black sheep  who end up smearing the good image of the game.

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

To bad they cannot make a pill to fix football fever. Sorry but I cannot see the sense in a bunch of overly skinny long haired fleet of foot over paid full of testosterone young males running up and down the field chasing a ball. It kind of reminds of the one silly season that I played golf. I have better things to do with my time like ranting here on TV. I am tired of the whole beat em up burn cars scene peoples property/livelihood destroyed and people hurt in the name of sports which is supposed to promote sportsmanship qualities. Newsflash!! Its failing. Sometimes I think sports was invented to take our minds off of more important things in life like the jerks who are pulling the levers of power. Yes the overpriced shirt, merchandise makers make a fortune and throw in the TV rights and its worth billions. Billions for the .01% who already own everything. Again a great distraction to divert our attention away from the more serious things in life. Its a ploy by governments like beauty contests, the Kardashians, football, baseball, hockey to divert our attention away from this <deleted> world. They are the modern gladiators attention seekers of sports the people that misdirect us away from the truth. On the flip side of the coin there is the rest of us poor smuck wanna be's. Sorry to burst the bubble of all the beer swilling sport wanna be's. We live in an emulation world to glorify golden gods of the arena. Sorry for rant I just returned from a grueling morning at immigration. Its funny how the nice plastic chairs from last year disappeared to be replaced by hard wooden stools to park my butt on for 5 hours. I guess they are trying to tell me at my advanced age to get an agent which I will never do.  

Your essay (rant) is worthy of a reply even though, like you, I can be a grumpy old fart at times. Had you prefaced your rant with the fact that you had a shitty day at C.M. Immigration, I would have better understood. I am not sure which paragraph of your essay to address first, but lets try sports.
People have participated in sports of one kind or another for at least two thousand years, hence the bizarre Olympic sports of discus, javelin and hammer throw.  Gladiatorial events at Roman arenas were opportunities to witness men being killed by an opponent for the entertainment of the masses , similar to what we saw in the movie ,Gladiator. People need sports to take their minds

off the humdrum daily lives that many live. I personally don't try to rationalize the businesses of Nike, Umbro, Puma and Adidas. If people want to spend their pocket money on a shirt representing their home team, so be it. Your reference to " ...overly skinny long haired fleet of foot over paid full of testosterone young males" might have applied to the Premier leagues of Europe and South America for example, but does not consider the millions of young men and women in poorer countries who engage in the sport for the pure joy of it. I would love to be a skinny,  testosterone filled, long legged footballer again.

It is not only top end football, but Formula 1 motor racing with its own billionaires and the other sports that attract top stars, like golf and tennis. I haven't even mentioned the millions of Americans and Canadians who enjoy their version of football and ice hockey along with baseball, neither the legions of people that enjoy that quaint English game known as cwicket which has been enjoyed by millions across what was once the " Bwitish Empah ". Sport has healed the racial divide in a way unseen before.

There will always be some troublemakers wherever one goes, but for the vast majority of people, sports is a much more desirable way to let off steam than having a good old war once in a while. After all, the Germans and the Allies managed to stop shelling the crap out of each other 100 years ago in the trenches in order to kick an air filled leather ball around in the mud for a few minutes.

So, I recommend you loosen up a bit and enjoy a game of chess.

I hope you get better chairs on your next visit to the Immigration boys..

Here endeth the essay.:wai:

45 minutes ago, teacherpaul said:

Umpires? In football, they're called referees. Try cricket or tennis.

Nit picking again Paul.

umpires... Refs... All the same really

the word you use, may well depend on your personal experience.... For example, in real football ( Aussie rules... Pay attention there to the second word) the referee is called an umpire

image.png

7 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Nit picking again Paul.

the word you use, may well depend on your personal experience.... For example, in real football ( Aussie rules... Pay attention there to the second word) the referee is called an umpire

"For example, in real football ( Aussie rules.)"

Aussie rules is a version of football played by real men with tight shorts and big muscles. However the real tougher guys play rugby.

Football, by its very definition is a game invented by the English where the ball can only be hit using feet, body or head but not hands and arms. 

Rugby is a game invented by the English for guys who thought sissies played football. Aussie rules is for those who cannot make up their minds.:thumbsup:

37 minutes ago, Timmaayy said:

Not really, wasn't a particularly controversial game. 1-1 draw which meant MT beat us 3-2 on aggregate to go to the League Cup final. Just the fact that MT & Port have a lot of previous "history" and there were fans on both sides looking for trouble from the start. It's also a horrible place to watch football, a crappy corrugated iron stadium surrounded by flyovers, ditches & industrial wasteland, all of it conducive to those who want a ruck. And as I said, I've never encountered such hostile, unfriendly supporters anywhere in Thailand. Normally enjoy going to away games & having a laugh with the locals, but that was never a possibility last night. 

I've found that their "Ultras" aren't so bad but there is a minority who want to be 'real English hooligans' and every year they come to our stadium and cause damage (except this year because they won for the first time everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

I punched the opposition hooker in a scrum one time, simply because his face provided a tempting target*. He hit me back, the unsporting bustardo. So I clobbered him with a neat right, and we both got sent off. He was my best mate right through school, and still is today. Didn't have any friends who played soccer.

*C'mon, it was right in front of me and his arms were around his props, and one of mine was loose. Jeez, what the heck would you do? You don't let a great opportunity like that slip. 

39 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

I punched the opposition hooker in a scrum one time, simply because his face provided a tempting target*. He hit me back, the unsporting bustardo. So I clobbered him with a neat right, and we both got sent off. He was my best mate right through school, and still is today. Didn't have any friends who played soccer.

*C'mon, it was right in front of me and his arms were around his props, and one of mine was loose. Jeez, what the heck would you do? You don't let a great opportunity like that slip. 

Sure you haven't embellished your story slightly for the internet...........go on, admit it, in the 'real world' version, you didn't give the hooker a dig, you took the opportunity when his arms were tied to tickle his nuts.......... :) 

9 minutes ago, somchai jones said:

Sure you haven't embellished your story slightly for the internet...........go on, admit it, in the 'real world' version, you didn't give the hooker a dig, you took the opportunity when his arms were tied to tickle his nuts.......... :) 

Of course I embellished it. "I got flattened" doesn't make for a good yarn, now does it?

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Nit picking again Paul.

image.png

I think that is the weakest, and most futile,  attempt by anyone to try and justify something they have done wrong!  :cheesy:

9 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I don't understand what makes people so stupid after a soccer match.  They are just as crazy as the Europeans over a sport that means nothing in real life.

Football isn't a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that. 

Bill Shankly

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

I always let it pass. 

3 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

I've found that their "Ultras" aren't so bad but there is a minority who want to be 'real English hooligans' and every year they come to our stadium and cause damage (except this year because they won for the first time everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

English hooligans? 

How 1980s. 

5 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

After all, the Germans and the Allies managed to stop shelling the crap out of each other 100 years ago in the trenches in order to kick an air filled leather ball around in the mud for a few minutes.

A myth - there was a truce, sure, but it wasn't for a kick around - there is very little evidence any football was played. 

Saw this on TV. Agree with many posters on the idiocy o9f the fans. What baffles me is the incompetence of the Police and soldiers near the incident when the man was getting beaten with a big pole. not one of them stepped in. Cowards. Typical mob mentality once again but also shows the inept training of the police/soldiers and the lack of guts. Not one stepped in. Shameful.

On 9/15/2016 at 4:46 PM, ldiablo72 said:

But Prayut has brought the smiles back to the Thai people.

White people of Anglo stock are the best in the world at repeating the same "jokes" over and over and thinking that it is oh so funny. What a pathetic bunch of cretins you lot are.

On 15/09/2016 at 9:42 AM, elgordo38 said:

To bad they cannot make a pill to fix football fever. Sorry but I cannot see the sense in a bunch of overly skinny long haired fleet of foot over paid full of testosterone young males running up and down the field chasing a ball. It kind of reminds of the one silly season that I played golf. I have better things to do with my time like ranting here on TV. I am tired of the whole beat em up burn cars scene peoples property/livelihood destroyed and people hurt in the name of sports which is supposed to promote sportsmanship qualities. Newsflash!! Its failing. Sometimes I think sports was invented to take our minds off of more important things in life like the jerks who are pulling the levers of power. Yes the overpriced shirt, merchandise makers make a fortune and throw in the TV rights and its worth billions. Billions for the .01% who already own everything. Again a great distraction to divert our attention away from the more serious things in life. Its a ploy by governments like beauty contests, the Kardashians, football, baseball, hockey to divert our attention away from this <deleted> world. They are the modern gladiators attention seekers of sports the people that misdirect us away from the truth. On the flip side of the coin there is the rest of us poor smuck wanna be's. Sorry to burst the bubble of all the beer swilling sport wanna be's. We live in an emulation world to glorify golden gods of the arena. Sorry for rant I just returned from a grueling morning at immigration. Its funny how the nice plastic chairs from last year disappeared to be replaced by hard wooden stools to park my butt on for 5 hours. I guess they are trying to tell me at my advanced age to get an agent which I will never do.  

Sometimes you think?
You're right.  It was invented for that very reason.  It's like a licence for otherwise fairly OK IQ adults to speak about something totally pointless all the time,  taking up all their time.  There's people I've known who lose sleep over football.  I don't mind watching a bit of sport,  but I simply could never get that caught up in it for it to dominate my life.

What is it with soccer and extreme violence, not just in Thailand but around the world?  Is it the total boredom of the non contact game that drives the spectators mad?  Would never let my kids get involved or go to a soccer game, I love them to much and don't want to bury them.

8 hours ago, IsItFlab said:

White people of Anglo stock are the best in the world at repeating the same "jokes" over and over and thinking that it is oh so funny. What a pathetic bunch of cretins you lot are.

You sound racist, how do you know he/she is a white Anglo. 

Archived