TM30 Experience Revisited

CMBob

Back in February, I reported filing the TM30 with my landlord of 4+ years (he was fined 3,000 baht for not reporting me earlier) and indicated that the Immigration dude (back office, Immigration office near the airport) told me that another report would have to be filed every time I returned from out of country.  And he told me that I could report for the landlord (who lives in Bangkok).

Anyway, returned this past Saturday from a visit overseas, prepared a TM30 and a raft of all the necessary documents, and went out to Immigration this morning about 11AM.  Handed all the documents and my passport to the guy, he handed back the TM30 form and attachments I gave him, he played with his computer for a couple of minutes, printed out the Notification form, and stapled it back in my passport.  Took a total of maybe 5-6 minutes.  And he told me next time only bring my passport (apparently, once you're on their computer, that's all they need...at least if you're still renting at the same place from the same landlord).

Rather quick and pleasant experience.

I made a rare trip out of the country a month or so ago and didn't bother with doing a new TM30 as I was under the impression that since I am living with my wife in our house there was no need to. I have lived there for about 25 years so I'm assuming that they know where I live by now, and that if I do venture out I will be returning to what is essentially my permanent residence.

Some of this TM30 reporting mentioned here due for returning from a trip

seems like such an overlapping of red tape .Most taking a trip & returning already had a TM30

& would most likely also already be applying & paying for a re-entry permit.

So the info you left & returned is nothing new...not to mention being clocked in by Imm

at the airport during re-entry

The TM forms sure could be simplified by just saying .....file once & only if moving/changing primary Thai residence refile a new one period....

The additional requirement about trips even short ones seems OTT

11 hours ago, naboo said:

Is 3000B what your landlord told you? The fine is 1600B.

I was there, listened and talked to the Immigration Officer, heard him tell the landlord what the fine was, and saw him pay over the 3k baht. 

Edit:  I don't know what the official fine rate might be but I've always read that it's 200 baht per day with a maximum of 5,000 baht.  My landlord was about 4 years (1,400+ days) late.

10 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

CMBob, were you fined?  If I'm reading right, you filed this 5 days after returning.

No....as I reported in February, the officer told me that I personally could file it for the landlord and had 7 days after my return to do that.  I realize that the law seems to refer to a much shorter time limit to report but that's what he told me (and I asked him to repeat it then so I was clear as to what they expected) and so I complied with that.  He didn't say a thing to me yesterday about being late (he seemed happy that I was filing it at all).

I did my Retirement extension yesterday and asked the Immigration Officer if I had to do a new TM30 each time I re-entered the country.  He said, "No, not if I returned to the same address." As this was contradictory to other posts here, I asked the agent that was with me  (first time in 14 years I reluctantly used an agent, but that is another story) what he thought.  The agent stated that is not his understanding either.  The agent said he thinks the Immigration Officer meant HE would not require a new TM30 if HE processed my extension next year.   The agent said in his opinion, to avoid future problems,  I should do another TM30 when I returned from travel.  Confusion continues....

1 hour ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I did my Retirement extension yesterday and asked the Immigration Officer if I had to do a new TM30 each time I re-entered the country.  He said, "No, not if I returned to the same address." As this was contradictory to other posts here, I asked the agent that was with me  (first time in 14 years I reluctantly used an agent, but that is another story) what he thought.  The agent stated that is not his understanding either.  The agent said he thinks the Immigration Officer meant HE would not require a new TM30 if HE processed my extension next year.   The agent said in his opinion, to avoid future problems,  I should do another TM30 when I returned from travel.  Confusion continues....

The whole issue is clouded depending on who you talk to. When this matter first popped its head up I went into Promenada,spoke with an officer and showed him my yellow book. He said "no need you are in the system unless you move" Now as we know that could well change next time I have no alternative but to go there for my extension.I havent been out of the country and on line 90 day reporting does not work for me but snail mail is fine, 47 baht,which is less than what it would cost me in fuel and I have no "human" contact. 

Archived