British bar owner on Koh Phangan says council man ripped him off and wanted bribes

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Philthebook.

Excuse me phil but if you are refering to my place.

It was by no means a little beer bar.

If you are not,then a thousand apologies.

Not at all KKD, the article is a bit misleading calling it a bar, it is a beach club complete with swimming pool that hosts large events with an entry fee (as it was on the night of the raid)

Try to don't mind there m*****s who advice you to leave or saying your naive. Excepting corruption or ignoring it is the same as corruption.

the only way to do something against it is to stand up and fight. Yes. Many will lose, but at the end this is the only way to fight corruption.

throw away your standards as garbage makes yourself garbage.

you have my respect and I hope that more farang Wil do the same

56 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

There are bars and there are bars.Our bar was in my Thai wifes name.We only ever had one visit and we donated to the ball,a very small amount indeed.We never had any trouble,and we obeyed the rules(well some of them) Only ever dealt with the one guy.We did have 2 guys come in one time and tried to tell mrs Kean That our music licence was no good and we had to but their new one for 12000 b.She outed the old mobile,and took pics of both of them and tried to get them to speak, so she could record them.needless to say they never came back to ours,But a few fools up and down the soi fell for it.

That confirms Farlangs cannot own and run bars in Thailand, otherwise your name would be on the paperwork and licence, which means the man in the OP has no chance with his complaint.

10 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

That confirms Farlangs cannot own and run bars in Thailand, otherwise your name would be on the paperwork and licence, which means the man in the OP has no chance with his complaint.

Company can have licence.

Farangs can be managers.

It is an unfortunate consequence of running a business in Thailand.  Fortunately for us my wife's sister manages a government office and her relatives are in the police so we were protected.  However it didn't stop  all the leeches trying initially.  It is the accepted face of life in Thailand and you live with the system or leave. 

35 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Company can have licence.

Farangs can be managers.

I don`t know for certain, but I would guess that the bar would have to be registered as a company with all the rules that apply. I know I wouldn`t want all the stress and dangers of being in that racket.

always sleeping with one eye open... its amazing how quick you can get stuck in the muck and just how quick the Thais will say - Just remember i am Thai and you just Farang - this my country. Roughly translated i can pay peanuts to have you thrown from a high rise condo when you least expect it...

You can form a company .But you only have 49%b of the shares.You can also apply for a work permit,but it costs,and you can only be in a supervisory capacity.

Mrs kaen is a sweetheart and never gave me any problems.Of course she always knew that all takings went into my bank account.But we had the place for 5 years and made enough for us to reitire.:D

Look at the police officer in the photo.....looking as if he is actually listening to the mans complaints while putting on a serious look of concern for the mans plight....like as if he really cares at all.

Meantime, what he is concerned about are 2 things of more importance:

His next meal of Som Tam ....and how he is going to get part of that 21,000 baht extorted from the Farang business man.....while he is thinking:  Oh yes......I will be having a talk with the local administrators, for sure, and make it very clear about who exactly does the extorting around here.

Cheers

We do not know all the details and circumstances about what lead up to the early morning visit.

Meantime .....may I venture to suggest that the bar owner was not paying some commonly charged local administration fees, as expected, and the same fees as other business establishments are expected to pay so they came and personally collected the over due local administration fees...... plus, some generous "interest" ...also collected ...but done in a most unsavory way.....possibly.......could be...maybe?

Just saying

Apart from absolute mental Ill cases in the world, nobody in his right mind would hire a lawyer, THAI, and file a complaint if the story would crack......nobody...............now this simple conclusion on my part needs to be investigated by the RTP for fairness to both sides, sometimes for years, at the expense of the victim of course who needs to pay his lawyer........just like the attempted extorsion whereby the national police chief himself took the phone to intervene..........and in the end got waived away as an imposter by his own men.

in case someone didn't knew it

w'r fair game.

The dirty little councilor. The Thainess has developed nicely. This type of germ is not fit to wash the jail floors. This is what is used to help develop and run a nation lol.  Weak men hunt weak victims. No this there is no Buddha after life Sir. That is a story for nice people. Your place shall be where you belong dear councilor. The fire enjoy.

Archived