Unfinished construction on Jomtien beach rd.

PattayaBoy

5 hours ago, onemorechang said:

if its the place im thinking of

it was going to be a shopping mall,  about 7-9   years ago

never got started.

1 hour ago, Tony M said:

I think it was actually going to be twin tower 30 - 35 story condos.  The rumours were that there was some kind of "investment" problem.

I think you're both correct.  ISTR that the construction that was started was to be some shopping/entertainment complex as part of a larger development with two high-rise condo towers behind it.

20 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Whatever it was supposed to be, it looks likes shit and should be leveled.

We must assume some bank owns the land now if the investors went bankrupt?

Don't hold your breath. Some of the ghost buildings from the crash last century only got replaced a few years ago. There was one in Pattaya on Beach Rd that was derelict for a very long time. Not far from that was an hotel that was closed for about 20 or so years.

Even worse, the Hopewell pillars still blight parts of Bkk.

There was discussion of the complex here on ThaiVisa several years ago.  I recall people commenting on how it might be distressing to the folks on the south side Jomtien Beach Condo having their unobstructed beach views infringed upon.

On Google Earth there is an image on that construction site for:  "The Beach:"

TheBeach.jpg

Those are the proposed high-rise condo buildings which were to rise behind the shopping/entertainment complex whose skeleton currently exists.  The name "The Beach" sounds familiar, but oddly enough googling for "The Beach" Jomtien turns up nothing relevant.

Scrolling back through historical images on Google Earth shows that the construction began sometime in 2008 or 2009.

I'm surprised it was a Matrix development.  ISTR there was some foreigner prominently in the equation?  Going on very sketchy memory here.

Actually that property was owned by a Norwegian con man , he tricked several buyers to pay deposits and never started the building process. He only owned the land. After that it's been empty for years. I wonder who owns it now... 

Archived