Trip Planning! Krabi to Penang?

DerekMarshall

the most convenient, though not the shortest way would probably be to take a Bus from Krabi to Hat Yai, and from there one of the numerous Minivans plying the HatYai - Penang route. That would probably be the most economical way as well, as you do not need to take Taxis or TukTuks to move between several transport hubs. The vans leaving HatYai will drop you at Komtar in Penang, which is in the very heart of Georgetown's downtown area and walking distance (if you don't carry too much of luggage) to many inexpensive hotels and guesthouses.

I couldn't recommend a minibus with a clear conscience. No control over the drivers be it meth or alcohol. You may start drinking after the ride. And as far as being economical, I prefer safety. I can afford it.
But up to you and if you die or worse being a cripple I could give a rats ass.

4 hours ago, augustwest said:

I couldn't recommend a minibus with a clear conscience. No control over the drivers be it meth or alcohol. You may start drinking after the ride. And as far as being economical, I prefer safety. I can afford it.
But up to you and if you die or worse being a cripple I could give a rats ass.

:facepalm:

Ummm Travel info is not for me..and I am already disabled and I can afford safety too!  ...but thanks for giving a rats ass.. 

5 hours ago, siam2007 said:

the most convenient, though not the shortest way would probably be to take a Bus from Krabi to Hat Yai, and from there one of the numerous Minivans plying the HatYai - Penang route. That would probably be the most economical way as well, as you do not need to take Taxis or TukTuks to move between several transport hubs. The vans leaving HatYai will drop you at Komtar in Penang, which is in the very heart of Georgetown's downtown area and walking distance (if you don't carry too much of luggage) to many inexpensive hotels and guesthouses.

Thanks, where can my friend get a bus from Krabi Town right approx 20km from Ao Nang? and do you have any idea of times of buses from Krabi to Hat Yai? 

On 18/09/2016 at 8:09 PM, DerekMarshall said:

Thanks, where can my friend get a bus from Krabi Town right approx 20km from Ao Nang? and do you have any idea of times of buses from Krabi to Hat Yai? 

most likely from the Bus station in Krabi town. He can get there probably by Sawngthaew from Ao Nang, but I am not a local so you better get the correct information from people who live nearby. I am sure there must be frequent Buses to Hat Yai, but I can not advise you on a schedule

OP - It is not a problem to take a bus from Krabi -- to Hat Yai ... and transfer to another Bus or Train to Butterworth -- then take the ferry to Penang / Georgetown.  

Go to the Krabi Bus Terminal -- ask for the window to buy the midnight bus to Hat Yai ...  It is best to buy the ticket the day before -- they sell out.   The bus actually leaves from the front of a nearby bank at 12:00 p.m.   This bus will get to Hat Yai before 6:00 a.m.  Ask around for a tuk tuk / song taew to the Railway Station ... There is an early train to Butterworth.   It is a long ride -- get a 2nd class sleeper if you want to rest.   At Butterworth the terminal houses the Bus -- Train and Ferry service -- at different levels... 

You can also ask for a VIP bus to Butterworth -- it will not be at the bus terminal -- This is Thailand... 

You can get a nice VIP like bus back to Hat Yai ... Along the way down and back you will be lied to and pressured to take a minibus -- which is in reality nothing but a Van ... I recommend you avoid these at all cost if you value your life... Go beyond the bluffs and lies -- find he big bus terminal ,etc. 

You can fly to Penang from Krabi using Firefly airlines ... sometimes they do not have flights going on some days... 

Getting a visa in Penang is easy -- most people use an Agent found at the various guesthouses and hotels.  

From Ao Nang,  you can take a taxi, songtaew or the Airport Shuttle Bus to the Bus / Transportation Terminal ... the Shuttle bus will drop you off at the entrance to the terminal but not into it .

You can rent a car with GPS device and take it to the border or to Hat Yai or even to a border town...  ... a safe place can be found to park it ... check with the local police.  No this is not a joke... I know people who have done it with cars and motorcycles.   

It is about 345 kilometers from Krabi Town to various points on the Malaysian Border ... it is still quite a distance to Penang . 

4 hours ago, JDGRUEN said:

OP - It is not a problem to take a bus from Krabi -- to Hat Yai ... and transfer to another Bus or Train to Butterworth -- then take the ferry to Penang / Georgetown.  

Go to the Krabi Bus Terminal -- ask for the window to buy the midnight bus to Hat Yai ...  It is best to buy the ticket the day before -- they sell out.   The bus actually leaves from the front of a nearby bank at 12:00 p.m.   This bus will get to Hat Yai before 6:00 a.m.  Ask around for a tuk tuk / song taew to the Railway Station ... There is an early train to Butterworth.   It is a long ride -- get a 2nd class sleeper if you want to rest.   At Butterworth the terminal houses the Bus -- Train and Ferry service -- at different levels... 

You can also ask for a VIP bus to Butterworth -- it will not be at the bus terminal -- This is Thailand... 

You can get a nice VIP like bus back to Hat Yai ... Along the way down and back you will be lied to and pressured to take a minibus -- which is in reality nothing but a Van ... I recommend you avoid these at all cost if you value your life... Go beyond the bluffs and lies -- find he big bus terminal ,etc. 

You can fly to Penang from Krabi using Firefly airlines ... sometimes they do not have flights going on some days... 

Getting a visa in Penang is easy -- most people use an Agent found at the various guesthouses and hotels.  

From Ao Nang,  you can take a taxi, songtaew or the Airport Shuttle Bus to the Bus / Transportation Terminal ... the Shuttle bus will drop you off at the entrance to the terminal but not into it .

You can rent a car with GPS device and take it to the border or to Hat Yai or even to a border town...  ... a safe place can be found to park it ... check with the local police.  No this is not a joke... I know people who have done it with cars and motorcycles.   

It is about 345 kilometers from Krabi Town to various points on the Malaysian Border ... it is still quite a distance to Penang . 

I don't think there are Buses from Hat Yai to Butterworth/Georgetown, it indeed is only served by Minivans. At least it was like that in 2013 when I did the trip myself. I inquired at the Bus station myself, as well as at the offices of several Bus companies in downtown Hat Yai that do VIP services to KL and Singapore. Those Buses do NOT stop at Butterworth.

The train ride from Hat Yai to Butterworth does not take that long, it is usually only one (!!!) 2nd class carriage, used exclusively by foreigners, as no locals are interested to use such slow means of transport. the sleeper seats are erected to regular seats, as the train leaves at 7.10 and it is entirely a daytime-ride therefore.

Still, I would prefer it over a Minivan ride, as the Minivan I took from Penang to HatYai had the usual amphetamine-loaded madmen on the steering wheel (both drivers, one to the Malaysian border, and the other one - must have been over 60 years old but still visibly "high" - further on to HatYai.

As mentioned, this is my personal experience from year 2013, so I can not exclude that there have been changes.

Selamat jalan !

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

I don't think there are Buses from Hat Yai to Butterworth/Georgetown, it indeed is only served by Minivans. At least it was like that in 2013 when I did the trip myself. I inquired at the Bus station myself, as well as at the offices of several Bus companies in downtown Hat Yai that do VIP services to KL and Singapore. Those Buses do NOT stop at Butterworth.

The train ride from Hat Yai to Butterworth does not take that long, it is usually only one (!!!) 2nd class carriage, used exclusively by foreigners, as no locals are interested to use such slow means of transport. the sleeper seats are erected to regular seats, as the train leaves at 7.10 and it is entirely a daytime-ride therefore.

Still, I would prefer it over a Minivan ride, as the Minivan I took from Penang to HatYai had the usual amphetamine-loaded madmen on the steering wheel (both drivers, one to the Malaysian border, and the other one - must have been over 60 years old but still visibly "high" - further on to HatYai.

As mentioned, this is my personal experience from year 2013, so I can not exclude that there have been changes.

Selamat jalan !

I have a good friend who took a VIP Bus to Hat Yai within the last 9 months -- things could change .. .it even had WIFi ... It was a private bus line - not government - and not at the bus station .

27 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

I have a good friend who took a VIP Bus to Hat Yai within the last 9 months -- things could change .. .it even had WIFi ... It was a private bus line - not government - and not at the bus station .

good to hear as I would love to avoid any vans in the future, but did he really travel from Penang ? I doubt that ANY Buses originating from Penang are allowed to depart from any other place than the new Bus station at Sungai Nibong.

even KOMTAR is a no-no for long-distance Buses nowadays, though the vans still depart from there (convenient location, that)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2016 at 1:19 AM, mindovermatter said:

There's a bus from Krabi to Hat Yai. Then you can ride the Malaysian train in Hat Yai. There's a morning and afternoon trip from Hat Yai to Butterworth. This may not be the most comfortable option though.

No Longer the case due to some sort of dispute involving Thai rail company and Malaysian one. All trains stop at pedang bessar where they have to switch over and change and get a connecting one from pedang bessar to Butterworth. 

Same on the way back up. 

Train FYI, I do know arrives approx 7/8am in Hat Yai arrives Butterworth after change over and passport control at approx mid day. 

There is a minibus that leaves Big Tescos in Krabi about 12:10am - drive through the night get to Georgetown about 8:30am 1 night in hotel all travel and food included cost 4000 just pay on top for your visa 

not sure about advertising rules on TV so pm me for number of company 

• 2 months later...

Last trip to Penang from Krabi in November was via Firefly on a Friday and the aircraft had approx ten people on board, return flight on Wednesday had four on board. I have tried booking for February and though it is still advertised on their site no flights available, anyone have any updates?  Last year I did a van trip to Penang, never ever again, we sat in silence like a bunch of sheep heading to an abattoir, why we didn't speak out I still don't know. 

Archived