Ideal Weight? Does anyone have a goal or target weight??

dontoearth

1 hour ago, nausea said:

Thanks for the tips. I'm a beginner at this. It's only when I got real problems that I started looking into the research a bit. Like I knew you needed calcium and vit.D; but vit. K and magnesium, for example, were completely new to me. I was quite amazed at the vital role these two play; all backed by solid research.

One point you raised is of particular interest. I use iodised refined salt, cos of the iodene; are you saying 

this is bad. I had a quick look at the packaging to see what it actually contains, but it's all in Thai, so no joy there.

You probably don't need extra calcium, but most people (they reckon over 80%) are deficient in magnesium. Without magnesium, the calcium accumulates where it's not needed - in the soft tissue. The magnesium (and boron) help send the calcium to where it should be - in the bones.

I would recommend you stop using table salt today and order some Himalayan Pink Salt. I ordered mine on eBay, but then found out Good karma online store: https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/  sell it. They are very quick to ship too with very good customer service. (with a name like that they have no choice LOL). When you have your Pink Salt, enjoy using as much of it as you like - no more low-salt diets necessary (in the mistaken belief you're lowering your blood pressure), which is only necessary because regular table salt is so toxic to the body.

Here's some good reading (and a video) on salt, magnesium, and boron:   

http://www.drdeborahmd.com/magnesium

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4712861/

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, nausea said:

Thanks for the tips. I'm a beginner at this. It's only when I got real problems that I started looking into the research a bit. Like I knew you needed calcium and vit.D; but vit. K and magnesium, for example, were completely new to me. I was quite amazed at the vital role these two play; all backed by solid research.

One point you raised is of particular interest. I use iodised refined salt, cos of the iodene; are you saying 

this is bad. I had a quick look at the packaging to see what it actually contains, but it's all in Thai, so no joy there.

I forgot to mention something about the iodine in iodized salt. Perhaps if you consume a fair quantity of iodized table salt you will get enough iodine to prevent goiter but it would be way under the optimum amount you need to be healthy. Right now I'm consuming 50mg per day to load up and get my body up to the optimum level. It also helps to detoxify the body. The amount in vitamin & mineral supplements would be in the 50 - 150 mcg range. You can buy Lugol's iodine solution or iodine tablets. I've gone the cheap way and make it myself with potassium iodide and pure elemental iodine (prilled iodine) which I bought on eBay. I make a 5% solution and use the dropper. I'm sure many people couldn't handle this. You can disguise the taste if you drop it into your coffee. I'm a down the hatch type of guy so I gulp it down with water as fast as possible so I cannot taste it LOL. I also can't taste 4 - 5 drops in my protein shakes.

• 3 months later...
On 9/20/2017 at 1:09 AM, tropo said:

I forgot to mention something about the iodine in iodized salt. Perhaps if you consume a fair quantity of iodized table salt you will get enough iodine to prevent goiter but it would be way under the optimum amount you need to be healthy. Right now I'm consuming 50mg per day to load up and get my body up to the optimum level. It also helps to detoxify the body. The amount in vitamin & mineral supplements would be in the 50 - 150 mcg range. You can buy Lugol's iodine solution or iodine tablets. I've gone the cheap way and make it myself with potassium iodide and pure elemental iodine (prilled iodine) which I bought on eBay. I make a 5% solution and use the dropper. I'm sure many people couldn't handle this. You can disguise the taste if you drop it into your coffee. I'm a down the hatch type of guy so I gulp it down with water as fast as possible so I cannot taste it LOL. I also can't taste 4 - 5 drops in my protein shakes.

Speaking only from my own personal experience.  I have high blood pressure and gave up salt.  Threw away the shaker!  Did lots of my own cooking of soups and cakes and breads and casseroles with NO SALT.  My blood pressure did not go down but my next doctor visit showed that I had low sodium.   So much for that brilliant idea.  Needed to get it up some to properly retain fluids in the body.   He was thinking of salt pills.   Sometimes you have to laugh.

7 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

Speaking only from my own personal experience.  I have high blood pressure and gave up salt.  Threw away the shaker!  Did lots of my own cooking of soups and cakes and breads and casseroles with NO SALT.  My blood pressure did not go down but my next doctor visit showed that I had low sodium.   So much for that brilliant idea.  Needed to get it up some to properly retain fluids in the body.   He was thinking of salt pills.   Sometimes you have to laugh.

You must have salt...

4 minutes ago, transam said:

You must have salt...

Small amounts naturally occur in food and some is inevitable.  I was commenting on the medical advice so many with high blood pressure are getting to get all salt out of their diet.  A big mistake.   You are completely correct.   

2 hours ago, dontoearth said:

If you give up iodized salt it's essential you take care of your iodine needs.

I would suggest you stock up on one of the big 3 famous salts: Real Salt from Utah, Himalayan Pink Salt (Pakistan) or Celtic Sea Salt from France... and shake, shake, shake. Use as much as you like as they are very good for you. You'll really start to enjoy your food again. It tastes way better than regular salt. If you're in the US next, get some packs of Real Salt. In Thailand - I just discovered they stock Himalayan Pink Salt in Foodland. It's 202.50 baht for 400g.

29 minutes ago, tropo said:

If you give up iodized salt it's essential you take care of your iodine needs.

I would suggest you stock up on one of the big 3 famous salts: Real Salt from Utah, Himalayan Pink Salt (Pakistan) or Celtic Sea Salt from France... and shake, shake, shake. Use as much as you like as they are very good for you. You'll really start to enjoy your food again. It tastes way better than regular salt. If you're in the US next, get some packs of Real Salt. In Thailand - I just discovered they stock Himalayan Pink Salt in Foodland. It's 202.50 baht for 400g.

Thanks as always great advice and the second I learned I was sodium depleted I got two big bottles of Himalayan Pink Salt.  Great stuff.

1 hour ago, dontoearth said:

Thanks as always great advice and the second I learned I was sodium depleted I got two big bottles of Himalayan Pink Salt.  Great stuff.

Quite a coincidence. Just as we're discussing salt on here my Redmond Real Salt order arrived from iHerb. There was free shipping, so I went for it. I also got Celtic Sea Salt from iHerb. I just wanted to try them all out, but their mineral profiles are quite similar. Himalayan salt has less sodium than the Celtic Sea Salt.

Where did you get your Himalayan salt? My first batch I bought on eBay, but the Foodland Himalayan salt is the same price.  

Just to clarify my statement above about iodine as it is ambiguous - there is no iodine in these natural salts so supplementation may become necessary. I make my own Lugol's 5% iodine solution. You can buy the raw ingredients on eBay. They are the KI (potassium iodide) and Iodine prills (pure iodine). It's very cheap compared to ordering the prepared Lugol's solution and with one small order (of raw materials) you'll be able to prepare enough Lugol's solution to last many years.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, jane nair said:

Every month I set a goal and target weight.But finally, I cant reach the goal.:sad: .I'm in 24, height 5.6", weight 138lbs.I wanna lose more weight but I cant I always gain weight.because I m too lazy and I love to eat cheese, chicken, beef, seafood, pizza etc.thats why every month I set a goal and become a failure. :saai::sad:

maybe concentrate on getting taller?

28 minutes ago, jane nair said:

Every month I set a goal and target weight.But finally, I cant reach the goal.:sad: .I'm in 24, height 5.6", weight 138lbs.I wanna lose more weight but I cant I always gain weight.because I m too lazy and I love to eat cheese, chicken, beef, seafood, pizza etc.thats why every month I set a goal and become a failure. :saai::sad:

I am lucky, can't afford the stuff you and I like so weight loss is nooooo ploblem...:stoner:

On 3/25/2017 at 12:51 PM, robertthebruce said:

Yes, still a bit to go.....now you need definition......but it's a start......

On 3/25/2017 at 12:19 PM, simon43 said:

LoL so true :).

Without wanting to put posters off their food, I just snapped a photo of my abdomen.  I'd say that there is still some excess fat there....

Snapshot9.jpg

I think you might be a TOFI.   Thin on the outside.  Fat on the inside.  This is a new finding for medical doctors as they find people meeting the correct BMI with too high a percentage of body fat on their bodies.  They don't seem to have much explanation or treatment yet but Nebido addresses cutting fat on their website for men with low T.  So you might get your testosterone levels checked out.

15 minutes ago, nausea said:

My grand father lived to 85, my father is in his 90s; did they follow some food fad? My ideal weight is the weight I'm comfortable with. 

I am just going to make a wild guess that neither man weighed in at near 300 or + lbs!  The ideal weight is the one at which a person has no medical problems caused by excess weight. 

No one should follow a diet that is a food fad.  It should be well thought out and part of your daily life not a quick fix that blows up shortly after.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:47 AM, jane nair said:

Chicken, beef and seafood are fine.  Combine them with some complex carbs like veggies.  Get rid of the pizza!  

On 2/7/2018 at 8:08 AM, simon43 said:

Happily, my abdomen no longer looks like that photo :)

To be honest, I don't think your abdomen looks big in that photo - it's your torso that looks small and gives the impression that your waist is bigger than it is. I'm pretty sure my waist circumference would be larger than yours (in the photo), but having a chest measurement just shy of 50" makes my 35 - 36 inch (sucked in - wider if relaxed) waist seem small by comparison. If I took a zoomed in photo of my waist, it would not make a pretty picture. The overall picture is more important.

Seeing as you're not shy - how about an updated photo.:smile:

6 hours ago, dontoearth said:
6 hours ago, nausea said:

My grand father lived to 85, my father is in his 90s; did they follow some food fad? My ideal weight is the weight I'm comfortable with. 

I am just going to make a wild guess that neither man weighed in at near 300 or + lbs!  The ideal weight is the one at which a person has no medical problems caused by excess weight. 

No one should follow a diet that is a food fad.  It should be well thought out and part of your daily life not a quick fix that blows up shortly after.

Yeah - so and so lived to 80 or 90 or even 100 is often cited to prove points about health.

In fact, they are pointless. My mother is 87 and still kicking, but she has 2 hip replacements, diabetes, osteoarthritis and probably more that I don't know about. The NZ social welfare system does a fine job of keeping her alive with free medical including drugs and surgery. She never was interested in listening to any of my advice on healthy, drug-free living and ways to avoid drugs. In her thinking doctors are God and should be trusted and followed 100%. I might be healthier for my age than she ever was, but without lots of medical intervention, I'll probably not live nearly as long as her. 

Having said that, "ideal weight" is just a statistical average of millions of people. It doesn't have a lot of meaning on an individual basis. My ideal weight is somewhere between 100 - 105kg. If I went down to the statistical ideal weight for my height I'd be skin and bones. People who follow BMI charts looking for their statistical ideal weight have no clue. Insurance companies go by these charts as they need to assess statistical probabilities and that's probably the main reason they exist in the first place.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Yeah - so and so lived to 80 or 90 or even 100 is often cited to prove points about health.

In fact, they are pointless. My mother is 87 and still kicking, but she has 2 hip replacements, diabetes, osteoarthritis and probably more that I don't know about. The NZ social welfare system does a fine job of keeping her alive with free medical including drugs and surgery. She never was interested in listening to any of my advice on healthy, drug-free living and ways to avoid drugs. In her thinking doctors are God and should be trusted and followed 100%. I might be healthier for my age than she ever was, but without lots of medical intervention, I'll probably not live nearly as long as her. 

Having said that, "ideal weight" is just a statistical average of millions of people. It doesn't have a lot of meaning on an individual basis. My ideal weight is somewhere between 100 - 105kg. If I went down to the statistical ideal weight for my height I'd be skin and bones. People who follow BMI charts looking for their statistical ideal weight have no clue. Insurance companies go by these charts as they need to assess statistical probabilities and that's probably the main reason they exist in the first place.

If you are an average person of normal height and normal athletic frame the BMI says that the weight range for normal should give the least disease and longest life.   The ranges are often huge!  My normal range runs from 131 lbs to 172 lbs at 5'10" tall.  I agree at 131 lbs I would look like a cancer survivor.   I think I might like the look at 172 and that is where I am headed! 

I have seen a number of new BMI tables for older individuals and even ran across one the other day that plotted best of all averages.  It was satisfied with my weight of 192 lbs allowing for some additional pounds based on my age and other conditions.

As discussed so many times.  The BMI does not apply to athletes or weight lifters or the very short or the very tall and those blessed with a good body frame proportion beyond that of the general population.  This means the broad range is acceptable to probably 85% of the population.  Let's face it there are not that many athletes and tall and short people.  And the insurance companies are looking for ways to make minimum payouts on maximum premiums so BMI does indeed mean something regarding disease and death.  It is a good money maker for them as a predictive tool.

And endless research on the metabolic diseases shows that being somewhere in the normal BMI gives you the least likely chance of having high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Type II diabetes, etc.   abnormal body fat problems and increased heart disease risk.

And all that said.  The BMI is only one of many factors in determining a best weight for an individual. I also get weight, fat, fat mass, fat free mass, muscle mass and clothing measurements to help in determining if I am making progress.  And there is the old fashioned mirror and photos.  Do you like what you see?

Right now I am wearing medium size underwear for the first time in I don't know when.  I was in XL three years ago and then large and now medium.  My waist went from 40" to 34".

And my reason for continuing my weight loss program is high blood pressure.  I got rid of the pills and worked my numbers back to pre-hypertension with the diet and exercise.  When the blood pressure hits normal with no medication for a few weeks I will weigh again and that might be the most satisfactory weight for myself.  If it is higher than the top of the normal BMI for my height I don't really care!  

The blood pressure medication caused gout, edema, severe uncontrollable muscle cramps, a strange cough when I spoke that I was not aware of and could not feel, sun sensitivity and on and on.  I went thru all 6 different types.   Getting my blood pressure under control rather than having the stroke or heart attack might really be my top weight goal.   Oh I did I forget the episodes of breaking shoulder and knee joints.   Not everyone has all of these side effects but it seems to be a family problem I can't find a medical solution too.  So weight loss it is!

I encourage everyone to really think about the full and complete experience.  Don't shy away from the BMI but don't let it be at the very top of your goals in your program. It is not at the top of my goals.

Seeing as you're not shy - how about an updated photo.:smile:

Here you are.  My camera phone has no flash, so the quality is lousy! But you can hopefully see that my flab has reduced.  If you look carefully, you can see the lines between each set of ab muscles.  My pects remain woefully absent.....

In fact, my body condition has got a little flabby over the past 2 months because I no longer go to the gym.  (I will move into a house next month, and will be able to install a pull-up/chin-up bar, treadmill etc etc, to allow me to do some home exercises, as well as HIT work. My easy road jogging and daily cycling will continue, but I will alter my current diet to add more protein.

now.jpg

38 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

If you are an average person of normal height and normal athletic frame the BMI says that the weight range for normal should give the least disease and longest life.   The ranges are often huge!  My normal range runs from 131 lbs to 172 lbs at 5'10" tall.  I agree at 131 lbs I would look like a cancer survivor.   I think I might like the look at 172 and that is where I am headed! 

I have seen a number of new BMI tables for older individuals and even ran across one the other day that plotted best of all averages.  It was satisfied with my weight of 192 lbs allowing for some additional pounds based on my age and other conditions.

As discussed so many times.  The BMI does not apply to athletes or weight lifters or the very short or the very tall and those blessed with a good body frame proportion beyond that of the general population.  This means the broad range is acceptable to probably 85% of the population.  Let's face it there are not that many athletes and tall and short people.  And the insurance companies are looking for ways to make minimum payouts on maximum premiums so BMI does indeed mean something regarding disease and death.  It is a good money maker for them as a predictive tool.

And endless research on the metabolic diseases shows that being somewhere in the normal BMI gives you the least likely chance of having high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Type II diabetes, etc.   abnormal body fat problems and increased heart disease risk.

And all that said.  The BMI is only one of many factors in determining a best weight for an individual. I also get weight, fat, fat mass, fat free mass, muscle mass and clothing measurements to help in determining if I am making progress.  And there is the old fashioned mirror and photos.  Do you like what you see?

Right now I am wearing medium size underwear for the first time in I don't know when.  I was in XL three years ago and then large and now medium.  My waist went from 40" to 34".

And my reason for continuing my weight loss program is high blood pressure.  I got rid of the pills and worked my numbers back to pre-hypertension with the diet and exercise.  When the blood pressure hits normal with no medication for a few weeks I will weigh again and that might be the most satisfactory weight for myself.  If it is higher than the top of the normal BMI for my height I don't really care!  

The blood pressure medication caused gout, edema, severe uncontrollable muscle cramps, a strange cough when I spoke that I was not aware of and could not feel, sun sensitivity and on and on.  I went thru all 6 different types.   Getting my blood pressure under control rather than having the stroke or heart attack might really be my top weight goal.   Oh I did I forget the episodes of breaking shoulder and knee joints.   Not everyone has all of these side effects but it seems to be a family problem I can't find a medical solution too.  So weight loss it is!

I encourage everyone to really think about the full and complete experience.  Don't shy away from the BMI but don't let it be at the very top of your goals in your program. It is not at the top of my goals.

Whenever I checked my bmi it would bring up borderline obese 78KG 166cm,lose weight, danger of diabetes,heart disease etc etc,how bad and irresponsible failure I was as a human.Then I Googled bmi in the real world and got smartbmicalculator that takes into account sex,age,etc now at 75kg (cut out sugar)I am fine well within the green zone for my age 67.check them out.

36 minutes ago, adammike said:

Whenever I checked my bmi it would bring up borderline obese 78KG 166cm,lose weight, danger of diabetes,heart disease etc etc,how bad and irresponsible failure I was as a human.Then I Googled bmi in the real world and got smartbmicalculator that takes into account sex,age,etc now at 75kg (cut out sugar)I am fine well within the green zone for my age 67.check them out.

The site is:

https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

My analysis at 192 lbs says if everything is fine....great weight to be at really.  However, because of the high blood pressure still in pre-hypertension scores I need to move further down.

My analysis, "Your weight is at a marginally elevated level; in our view, it should still be fine for your health. By classification of the WHO, you are "overweight".With a good balance of body fat and muscle mass, your blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar values should still remain at more or less moderate levels."

So even the more moderate smart BMI says some additional weight should come off for me.  We will see where that number is at in the next few months.  When I reach normal BP I will let everyone know at what weight that occurred.    I would believe that is my correct weight even if it is high on the old fashioned non-scaled BMI not taking into account sex and age variables.

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Here you are.  My camera phone has no flash, so the quality is lousy! But you can hopefully see that my flab has reduced.  If you look carefully, you can see the lines between each set of ab muscles.  My pects remain woefully absent.....

In fact, my body condition has got a little flabby over the past 2 months because I no longer go to the gym.  (I will move into a house next month, and will be able to install a pull-up/chin-up bar, treadmill etc etc, to allow me to do some home exercises, as well as HIT work. My easy road jogging and daily cycling will continue, but I will alter my current diet to add more protein.

now.jpg

I can see quite a change. Well done! Now that you have your waist under control it's time to take it to the next level, but don't expect to gain much muscle if you're running and cycling as much as you are.

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

now.jpg

I would be more worried about all the moles...avoid the sun if possible.   And do lots of pushups to get those pecs built up

5 hours ago, norrska said:

I would be more worried about all the moles...avoid the sun if possible.   And do lots of pushups to get those pecs built up

Seriously?  This is supposed to be a serious thread about body transformation and you make a stupid comment about moles. It's pretty obvious that the OP doesn't spend much time in the sun. Also, FYI, moles are the least likely area on the skin to develop melanoma. 

21 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:
On 9/21/2016 at 12:47 AM, KittenKong said:

I weigh 106kg and should weigh around 90.

Is it going to happen? No.

You might not be overweight, you could just be under-height.

We should distinguish "overweight" from overfat. I'm 104 kg but not fat. Overweight is an irrelevant term.

jane nair said:

Every month I set a goal and target weight.But finally, I cant reach the goal.:sad: .I'm in 24, height 5.6", weight 138lbs.

two years ago (mid march 2016) my weight was 97kg (210 lbs), height 1.80 (5'10½'') i started seriously losing weight. my goal was to see the ''7'' on the scale by the end of the year. i saw the ''7'' end of october at 76kg and by year's end my weight was 72kg, i.e. minus 25kg (55 lbs). since then, now 14 months, my target weight is 72 in the morning and 73 in the evening and i have kept it except for two short stays in my home country.

after losing 25% of  my body weight my belly shows a fold as if i had given birth to twins. but it was worth the effort because one of the advantages is that i can see my pecker just looking down without the help of a mirror. don't ask me how i lost weight without too much suffering and without any gruelling exercises because you won't believe the story of an old fart and heart patient (multiple coronary bypasses, pacemaker implant and COPD lungs).

Archived