BANGKOK 22 February 2019 03:00
dontoearth

Ideal Weight? Does anyone have a goal or target weight??

3 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

Yeah I haven't really bulked up much after initial gains, but I am getting nicely toned.  I'm going for a 'swimmer body' more than a 'gym rat'  :)  I  love weights though.

You both train the same way.. just have to stop adding weights once you got the swimmer body because as long as your lifting weights and adding weight to the bar (assuming your getting enough protein and total calories) you will be adding muscle. Its a mistake to think you have to train different to get that kind of body. (progressive overload)

Though.. one good thing is (and bad just how you look at it) its quite hard to gain muscle for most people. You won't wake up looking like Arnold overnight its never that easy. 

I love lifting a lot more than the cardio that I do but both are good for health. 

Edited by robblok

Though.. one good thing is (and bad just how you look at it) its quite hard to gain muscle for most people. You won't wake up looking like Arnold overnight its never that easy. 

Though I can really appreciate the discipline and effort that Arnold put into his physique, as well as how well he has been able to maintain things, that's absolutely not the body type that I would want. Michael Phelps on the other hand, now there is something that looks worthy of dreaming of. And no, I'm not going to start swimming 400 laps today, but if I had to choose between the two physiques, Michael's would certainly be the one that I would choose.

When I was young, I was really skinny, and then when I turned around at nine years old I ballooned up to a huge weight. I then lost all of that weight around puberty and became quite skinny again. Then around 25 years old I started adding on a little bit at a time. Then around 27 years old I was able to lose a lot again and became quite thin. But since then and now I had gained quite a bit over again. Mostly due to getting older and not reducing my food intake and probably not exercising as much as I should.

So I have been working out the last couple years and I am getting closer to my goal. I also realize that I need to be careful what I'm eating and to make sure that I move around enough. Also I have found that getting enough sleep is really important, especially backed up these days with the research that says not enough sleep increases the cortisol in your body which can keep you from losing weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ha. the link in the OP says I should weigh between 52kg and 65kg.

Thats some funny shit right there !!

I would like my weight to be about 85kg.

44 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

Though I can really appreciate the discipline and effort that Arnold put into his physique, as well as how well he has been able to maintain things, that's absolutely not the body type that I would want. Michael Phelps on the other hand, now there is something that looks worthy of dreaming of. And no, I'm not going to start swimming 400 laps today, but if I had to choose between the two physiques, Michael's would certainly be the one that I would choose.

When I was young, I was really skinny, and then when I turned around at nine years old I ballooned up to a huge weight. I then lost all of that weight around puberty and became quite skinny again. Then around 25 years old I started adding on a little bit at a time. Then around 27 years old I was able to lose a lot again and became quite thin. But since then and now I had gained quite a bit over again. Mostly due to getting older and not reducing my food intake and probably not exercising as much as I should.

So I have been working out the last couple years and I am getting closer to my goal. I also realize that I need to be careful what I'm eating and to make sure that I move around enough. Also I have found that getting enough sleep is really important, especially backed up these days with the research that says not enough sleep increases the cortisol in your body which can keep you from losing weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I certainly dont want to look like Arnold, would not even be possible. I like muscular and I am muscular now but certainly not like a pro bodybuilder. I get a lot of attention from the girls and quite some remarks from people when they think I don't understand Thai. All positive so far though I might be too muscular for some. I doubt I will add much more muscle nor is that really my goal. I just like to workout hard, so its natural is still gain a bit.. but I am close to how big I can be so if i add muscle it wont be much.. maybe 2 kg a year maximal. But my aim is to be real lean and muscular. Just love pushing my limits. 

Now added the rowing after each weight session I do a 35 min (500+ calories) rowing session. I notice it that it helps for general health. 

At present stand 180 cm, I weigh 98kg and estimate 16-20% body fat. Bottom line, my weight/fat suits me at this moment in time. Last year I DEXA scanned in Australia before coming to Thailand at Christmas, weight 92kg and BF% 9.4 %. I have learnt from experience that aesthetics is about balance. I worked <deleted> hard to get single digit body fat and felt great. My visceral fat was less than 300grams which basically meant I was at virtually no risk of diabetes or heart disease caused by fat in this part of body. What happened? I needed a break, I looked good with vienes from my temple to the top of my foot visible apart from the cheek on my face. Healthy sex drive, loads of energy, massive appetite, all good. I still work out and throughout winter do not care for that little extra fat because it protects me. We are coming into summer shortly and I will start to cut and again aim for sub 10% BF, I would like to sit at 95kg this time though with smaller quads. I have learnt a lot and always learn more every day.

If it helps you, I will share a snap shot of my beliefs, right or wrong, they are real as they have worked for me as I have pics and DEXA scans, etc.

Develop your heart. Its the bottom line, I use a run-tastic chest strap (transmitter) and phone app to monitor and understand resting heart rate, maximum heart rate, and the appropriate training zones. It takes a little balancing and fine tuning but your heart and cardio vascular system I find is very responsive. If you train in the right zone your heart will strengthen quickly although conversely weaken quickly without challenges.   

With a strong heart then work to develop muscularity with a committed focus to connective tissue especially in the early stages. 

Use the muscle you have gained to burn stored energy / fat. Do this with food. Calorie surplus to gain muscle and slight calorie deficit to loose fat. 

I see so many people make the mistake for dieting and training muscle away and just becoming skiny-fat. You don't want to become smaller, you should aim to become leaner. massive calorie deficits are counter productive and only cause catabolism and exacerbating the problem of not having the muscle to burn fat.

I like the analogy of a car with a small motor requiring little fuel whereas the same car with a large motor requires more fuel. If you view motor size as being the amount of lean muscle you have the you will understand the power of muscularity in relation to fat loss. 

I took a long time to get to where I got to, lots of learning and I would still say today there is so much I do not know. 

Some good google search terms you could try are: 

transverse abdominous , catabolism, anabolism, DEXA scan, metamorphic body type, subcutaneous and visceral fat, heart rate training zones,

and maybe take a look at a fellow that I have followed for over a year now through youtube is Jeff Cavalier, his channel is called Athlean X.

I am not going to reference anything, this is not an assignment for uni. 

Don't get caught up body image too much, functional fitness is a great focus point, especially for older guys who are subject to diminished testosterone levels. Yoga and stretching are worth their weight in gold and many people never realise their benefits. Stretching is easily my favourite excersise. I did get in the trap of running to develop great cardio only to make my calves rock solid and pull tension through my lower back, massaged out my body function is much better. 

Hope you find something amongst this to help.

21 hours ago, SummerHaze said:

I figured out that I need to grow taller. I have weight problem. Huge problem. I even found legal steroids, I want to transform my fat into muscles. I hope it will works. PS all these diets had no effects

Are you female ?

If so don't go steroids way and you cant transform fat into muscle.. you need to lose fat and build muscle.. its impossible to transform it. And yes testosterone is a legal steroid here. Though purely for dieting steriods wont help.. they do help if you combine diet and training. But steroids are not without risks.

Im really not a fan of these weight and height formulas. I think every body is different and they never account for muscle weighing more than fat. According to the link in the OP i should lose 5 kgs. The 5 kgs I have worked hard to gain through weight training. No thank you!

11 hours ago, LeilaLee said:

Im really not a fan of these weight and height formulas. I think every body is different and they never account for muscle weighing more than fat. According to the link in the OP i should lose 5 kgs. The 5 kgs I have worked hard to gain through weight training. No thank you!

BMI is an outdated formula its ok for the average public but not for people who exercise and have some muscle. It should be banned because it really gives a wrong result for healthy active people. For the average non active person its ok.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

BMI is an outdated formula its ok for the average public but not for people who exercise and have some muscle. It should be banned because it really gives a wrong result for healthy active people. For the average non active person its ok.

So true!

8 hours ago, robblok said:

It works fine for most active healthy people also - but that tends to be for those who concentrate more on cardio workouts rather than building muscles.

4 minutes ago, kevozman1 said:

It works fine for most active healthy people also - but that tends to be for those who concentrate more on cardio workouts rather than building muscles.

Even if you just do cardio it messes up because you get extra muscle from cardio (not a lot but still a few kg). So the formula is flawed.. and accepted that its flawed.. they only use it because its hard to find something better. 

171cms and 86.5 kg, 18 months down the line still 171cms but 68.5kg

Cut out my evening meals and rubbish food, don't eat after 5 pm unless maybe once a week go out to eat and cut right down on the carbs such as bread and rice. Worked for me, now the weight is off I can set about  getting back into my exercise without the knee pain from carrying that extra baggage and enjoy it.....

1.70m 65 kg.The same weight as when i was sixteen,started working out again and can do 10 chin-ups and 30 push-ups with ease.

Want to gain a few kilos by lifting but running has always been my thing.Never been past 70kg or 62 at the lower end.

Most people in my family are a lot overweight or even obese.

Don,t drink or smoke and try to eat healthy,no sugar or things from a package.

We do grow a lot of veggies at home and have eggs from our own chickens.

I do eat meat and love dairy.

I will be sixty very soon.

Edited by jvs
added age

30 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

171cms and 86.5 kg, 18 months down the line still 171cms but 68.5kg

Cut out my evening meals and rubbish food, don't eat after 5 pm unless maybe once a week go out to eat and cut right down on the carbs such as bread and rice. Worked for me, now the weight is off I can set about  getting back into my exercise without the knee pain from carrying that extra baggage and enjoy it.....

180cm, 78.0 kg.

a year ago i was willing to part with a hundredthousand dollars if i could lose 10kg. New Year's Eve last year i panicked when my scale showed 97 :w00t:  january and february i was starving myself and lost 2kg. then the Mrs. reminded me of a diet we did together a quarter century ago and lost both each 6-8kg within 6 weeks. a diet where you eat small portions,
but as many as possible from morning till evening.

three months later i was (and still am) a happy man. my target was to see the "7" on the scale, which i saw about two weeks ago. today i'm
down to 78.0kg, i eat all the goodies i want, no calorie counting, no such thing like "this is forbidden" no time consuming exercises which reduce quality of life... but my wife is demanding 190,000 dollars (10k for each kilo that i lost).

next target 75kg and that's it.