Ideal Weight? Does anyone have a goal or target weight??

dontoearth

17 hours ago, Naam said:

180cm, 78.0 kg.

a year ago i was willing to part with a hundredthousand dollars if i could lose 10kg. New Year's Eve last year i panicked when my scale showed 97 :w00t:  january and february i was starving myself and lost 2kg. then the Mrs. reminded me of a diet we did together a quarter century ago and lost both each 6-8kg within 6 weeks. a diet where you eat small portions,
but as many as possible from morning till evening.

three months later i was (and still am) a happy man. my target was to see the "7" on the scale, which i saw about two weeks ago. today i'm
down to 78.0kg, i eat all the goodies i want, no calorie counting, no such thing like "this is forbidden" no time consuming exercises which reduce quality of life... but my wife is demanding 190,000 dollars (10k for each kilo that i lost).

next target 75kg and that's it.

Well done.. and yes eating has a far bigger impact than exercise.. I don't share your views on exercise as reducing quality of life.. i am of the opinion it will increase quality of life later one (and I don't hate doing it right now helps against stress). But if you don't choose the exercise that suits you then yes.. it would reduce the quality of life.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, jvs said:

1.70m 65 kg.The same weight as when i was sixteen,started working out again and can do 10 chin-ups and 30 push-ups with ease.

Want to gain a few kilos by lifting but running has always been my thing.Never been past 70kg or 62 at the lower end.

Most people in my family are a lot overweight or even obese.

Don,t drink or smoke and try to eat healthy,no sugar or things from a package.

We do grow a lot of veggies at home and have eggs from our own chickens.

I do eat meat and love dairy.

I will be sixty very soon.

If you don't like lifting.. don't and you seem to be the runner type...  meaning it would be hard to gain some muscle from lifting.  They call your kind hard gainers.. but that does mean its easier to lose fat too. My type gains muscle easy.. and fat too. For hard gainers its real hard to add muscle.. it can be done but takes a lot of effort and if you hate it.....

44 minutes ago, robblok said:

Well done.. and yes eating has a far bigger impact than exercise.. I don't share your views on exercise as reducing quality of life.. i am of the opinion it will increase quality of life later one (and I don't hate doing it right now helps against stress). But if you don't choose the exercise that suits you then yes.. it would reduce the quality of life.

Rob,

i admit that my expression "reducing quality of life" is perhaps not applicable. but once you have reached a certain age and realise that there is not too much "later life" left you try not to waste a single hour of your life with time consuming physical exercise.

3 hours ago, Naam said:

Rob,

i admit that my expression "reducing quality of life" is perhaps not applicable. but once you have reached a certain age and realise that there is not too much "later life" left you try not to waste a single hour of your life with time consuming physical exercise.

I don't hold it against you.. it really depends on how old you are how do you feel. I just think that those who started early have a better quality of life. Even those that started relatively late (my dad biking) has a better quality of life than my mom. But I get it if your already real old not so sure if there is much benefit to be had still. 

But i already said.. do something you like.. there are not many who enjoy slaving away at a treadmill or even a rowing machine (doing it because its good I get no enjoyment.. lifting weights is different I have no problems doing that). Its impossible to do exercise if you hate it or dislike it.. real good point it just wont work. 

2 hours ago, damo said:

How many people have negative attitudes to physical exercise yet adore it once immersed in it? Bone density is a fantastic reason to lift at an older age.

yep! weight lifting is a fantastic and inexpensive way to commit suicide when when the three wires going from your implanted pacemaker/defibrillator are implanted in only 4-5mm depth of your heart muscle. and when you are dead there's no need to shell out 35,000 Dollars every 6-8 years for a replacement when the batteries are down (inflation not considered).

I'm tall 1.90 and 85 kg , and think it's around the same weight I've had since my late 20's.  I only do light exercise like walking and cycling.  When I was a teenager I was skinny and people called me funny names like beanpole . After I gained weight and got some muscles that stopped quickly . I do not eat much , maybe my stomach is not hungry lol. 

8 hours ago, Naam said:

yep! weight lifting is a fantastic and inexpensive way to commit suicide when when the three wires going from your implanted pacemaker/defibrillator are implanted in only 4-5mm depth of your heart muscle. and when you are dead there's no need to shell out 35,000 Dollars every 6-8 years for a replacement when the batteries are down (inflation not considered).

Naam, yea then I would not do it for sure.. I think for exercise in general its wise to start early and not when you need it. 

6 hours ago, balo said:

I'm tall 1.90 and 85 kg , and think it's around the same weight I've had since my late 20's.  I only do light exercise like walking and cycling.  When I was a teenager I was skinny and people called me funny names like beanpole . After I gained weight and got some muscles that stopped quickly . I do not eat much , maybe my stomach is not hungry lol. 

Some people just don't have the same hunger response as others and if they have a bit faster metabolic rate that means they stay lean. Just consider it a gift. 

• 4 months later...

Re-activating this old thread.

I'm 172cm tall and typically have a body weight of 73Kg.  My body type is 'compact', (very much akin to a typical Thai male).

6 weeks ago, I started on a low carb diet, minimised my sugar  intake, stopped the beer, started cycling every day, some home exercise etc.  Then I started visiting the gym to do upper body muscle exercises, since I was concerned that dieting would result in loss of weight and no muscle build ==> skinny old man.

In the last couple of weeks, the weight has suddenly started to fall at a good pace. I'm down to 68.9Kg and can see improvements in my muscle tone from the gym work, and reduction in my abs fat from the cycling and dieting. 

On the recommendation of a fellow forum member, I downloaded and read 'The Life Plan Diet'.  This made me realise that getting a well-toned upper body and visible 6-pack was absolutely not beyond the realms of possibility, even as I approach 60 years old.

I don't have an ideal target weight, because my modest gym work and protein intake should result in an increase in muscle mass. I am probably looking at 60Kg, which is about right for my compact body type.

If I consider my diet and fitness regime, I would say that it is the low-carb diet that is probably the major factor in reducing my weight.

I'm very happy with my progress, and don't miss any of the sugary foods or alcohol. I feel very healthy and alert.

On 10/25/2016 at 4:44 PM, LeilaLee said:

So true!

BMI ignores the bone structure..  ectomorph, light boned, mesomorph, medium boned, and endomorph heavy boned-structures. This drastically effects thermogenic effect.. the metabolic rat rise after a meal. That's why an ectomorph can quaff down half a gallon of heavily sugared, HFCS ice-cream and weighs the same next day, withtheir inherent high thermic effect. The endomorph gains body fat on a slice of apple pie, with a low inherent metabolic rate rise.  This also shows that calories don't count.. as there also exist other various homeostasis mechanisms that speed or slow metabolic rate depending one what, when and how much/little is eaten.  Mainstream misinform on calories as it's the carbs that fatten. Digested carbs 1st top up liver and muscle glycogen stores, the rest is rapidly converted to body fat in the cell's mitochondria.  Digested fat only slowly converts to usable energy in the liver.

So true!

BMI ignores the bone structure..  ectomorph, light boned, mesomorph, medium boned, and endomorph heavy boned-structures. This drastically effects thermogenic effect.. the metabolic rat rise after a meal. That's why an ectomorph can quaff down half a gallon of heavily sugared, HFCS ice-cream and weighs the same next day, withtheir inherent high thermic effect. The endomorph gains body fat on a slice of apple pie, with a low inherent metabolic rate rise.  This also shows that calories don't count.. as there also exist other various homeostasis mechanisms that speed or slow metabolic rate depending one what, when and how much/little is eaten.  Mainstream misinform on calories as it's the carbs that fatten. Digested carbs 1st top up liver and muscle glycogen stores, the rest is rapidly converted to body fat in the cell's mitochondria.  Digested fat only slowly converts to usable energy in the liver.

So true!

Mainstream seems out of touch with human physiology on this subject.  There are 3 main bone structures on humans: light, ectomorph, medium, mesomorph and heavy endomorph. These 3 types have vastly different thermic effects.. that's the metabolic rate rise after a meal. An ectomporph can quaff down a half gallon of ice cream and weigh the same next day. due to a high thermic effect. An endomorph gains weight on a slice of apple pie. There also exist other homeostatic mechanisms that slow or speed metabolic rate depending on what, when, and/or how much/little is eaten.  That makes a nonsense of calorie counting.  Also not mentioned is that it's the carbs that fatten. Digested carbs 1st top up the liver and muscle glycogen stores, the restis  rapidly converts to body fat in the cells' mitochondria. Meanwhile digested fat only slowly converts to usable energy in the liver.

On 3/19/2017 at 8:01 AM, simon43 said:

Re-activating this old thread.

I'm 172cm tall and typically have a body weight of 73Kg.  My body type is 'compact', (very much akin to a typical Thai male).

6 weeks ago, I started on a low carb diet, minimised my sugar  intake, stopped the beer, started cycling every day, some home exercise etc.  Then I started visiting the gym to do upper body muscle exercises, since I was concerned that dieting would result in loss of weight and no muscle build ==> skinny old man.

In the last couple of weeks, the weight has suddenly started to fall at a good pace. I'm down to 68.9Kg and can see improvements in my muscle tone from the gym work, and reduction in my abs fat from the cycling and dieting. 

On the recommendation of a fellow forum member, I downloaded and read 'The Life Plan Diet'.  This made me realise that getting a well-toned upper body and visible 6-pack was absolutely not beyond the realms of possibility, even as I approach 60 years old.

I don't have an ideal target weight, because my modest gym work and protein intake should result in an increase in muscle mass. I am probably looking at 60Kg, which is about right for my compact body type.

If I consider my diet and fitness regime, I would say that it is the low-carb diet that is probably the major factor in reducing my weight.

I'm very happy with my progress, and don't miss any of the sugary foods or alcohol. I feel very healthy and alert.

Could you be more specific as to what you mean by "compact body type"? I would consider 60kg for a172cm male underweight or skinny.  

Be careful that your quest for weight loss doesn't turn you anorexic. It can happen. An anorexic person can be a skeleton and still think they are fat.

Be careful that your quest for weight loss doesn't turn you anorexic

No chance of that :) I am old-fashioned and British, no time for those types of 'mental' issues..... 

Hmm, how can I be more precise about my body type?  I'm not that tall and I have never been the muscle type. Right now, after 2 months of diet, gym and cycling, my weight is hovering around 68Kg (I think that the weight decrease has slowed down because of my gym work that is building up muscle).

My target weight is actually not that important to me.  It is the reduction of body fat that is more important.

I still have love handles and flab around my abdomen, but it has visibly reduced since I started my health regime.  I have no interest in looking like a living skeleton.  I do want to reduce the flab and fat, but also to tone up my upper body mass through my gym work.  I have no interest in looking like a 'muscle guy'.

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

No chance of that :) I am old-fashioned and British, no time for those types of 'mental' issues..... 

Hmm, how can I be more precise about my body type?  I'm not that tall and I have never been the muscle type. Right now, after 2 months of diet, gym and cycling, my weight is hovering around 68Kg (I think that the weight decrease has slowed down because of my gym work that is building up muscle).

My target weight is actually not that important to me.  It is the reduction of body fat that is more important.

I still have love handles and flab around my abdomen, but it has visibly reduced since I started my health regime.  I have no interest in looking like a living skeleton.  I do want to reduce the flab and fat, but also to tone up my upper body mass through my gym work.  I have no interest in looking like a 'muscle guy'.

Anorexia is an insidious affliction. It creeps up slowly even when a person has it, they are unaware of it. People with a little flab are good candidates for it. If you're still dieting at 68kg, you could also be a candidate. I don't see how being British makes a difference. Are there no anorexic people in the UK? The UK populous is on average quite fat, just as in the USA.

It's amazing how mind images don't always match the numbers. For example, I'm currently about 102kg at 10% bodyfat, yet I feel very lean - even a bit skinny. At one time I was up to 120kg muscular and felt small... yet when I saw another person at that weight I'd think to myself "wow, that guy is massive". At 90kg I'd feel like a 90lb weakling. The numbers tell a different story than my mind image.

Everyone is worried about this girl. She has a YouTube channel. Despite everyone making comments that she's too thin and needs help, she still thinks she looks just fine. I see she posted a video 4 days ago, so she's still alive, but she won't last long. Karen Carpenter died at 32 and I don't think she was this skinny and had a lot of professional medical help.

I don't see how being British makes a difference

British SoH. There was a comedy series on the TV in my younger years called "French & Saunders".  It featured 2 'country men' (actually acted out by the 2 female stars, typically old-fashioned British.  They had no time for hospitals or illnesses and snorted 'stuff and nonsense!' when one of them had a leg cut off......

I can assure you that I'm not anorexic, nor expect ever to be in that condition :)

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

British SoH. There was a comedy series on the TV in my younger years called "French & Saunders".  It featured 2 'country men' (actually acted out by the 2 female stars, typically old-fashioned British.  They had no time for hospitals or illnesses and snorted 'stuff and nonsense!' when one of them had a leg cut off......

I can assure you that I'm not anorexic, nor expect ever to be in that condition :)

You cannot assure me of that... No one with anorexia will admit or even know they are. That's the point I'm trying to make. I'm purely going on your numbers and the fact you seem seriously motivated to lose more weight even though you're already low at 68kg. It starts off with an obsession to lose weight.

According to this chart:

http://halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

Factoring in your height, weight, and age, only 15% of people in your age group are lighter than you. That's pretty low.

I don't mean to harp on about this, but considering the title of this thread is: "ideal body weight, does anyone have a goal or target weight", it's worth a mention.

My target weight is 105kg.:smile: When I reach that I may re-evaluate.

What you really need to do is work out your fat percentage and forget about absolute weight. If you're in the UK I would suggest getting it done at a clinic that can give you accurate measurements. Perhaps a DEXA scan, or a Bodpod.

53 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

I am 65 Kilos , and exercise every second day, for three hours in the extreme heat..

watch what I eat, and avoid Thai Food as it's loaded with Sugar, Salt, or deep fried..

62 Would be ideal for me....still a bit to go....

What type of exercise do you do in extreme heat?  

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

What type of exercise do you do in extreme heat?  

I did try to join the Local Fitness Fiest, but they wanted me to join for one Year ??

me being me, I don't know where I will be next week, let alone commite to one Yesr..

so, just so happens there is a Park with a nice Lake and it has some exercise machines and between that and power walking for about 30 Km....it's exhausting,,,but I do start early about 6 or 7....

got,to,try...

1 hour ago, robertthebruce said:

I did try to join the Local Fitness Fiest, but they wanted me to join for one Year ??

me being me, I don't know where I will be next week, let alone commite to one Yesr..

so, just so happens there is a Park with a nice Lake and it has some exercise machines and between that and power walking for about 30 Km....it's exhausting,,,but I do start early about 6 or 7....

got,to,try...

I wouldn't call that trying. I'd call it torture. It's not the way to long-term success because you won't keep it up. Sooner or later the body and mind rebel against over-training and you'll quit. You need to find something that you can sustain long term.

...or maybe you're a robot or some kind of super human.:smile:

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

I wouldn't call that trying. I'd call it torture. It's not the way to long-term success because you won't keep it up. Sooner or later the body and mind rebel against over-training and you'll quit. You need to find something that you can sustain long term.

...or maybe you're a robot or some kind of super human.:smile:

Super Human.....I wish...

actually I don't mind it quite enjoy ot, especially when I see the results...

fortunately for me,,I have good Genes, so I am quite slim naturally...and being strict Vegetarian helps,too..

as for for the training,,,..yep going well for the moment...,just wish there was a swimming pool close by...

...the fact you seem seriously motivated to lose more weight even though you're already low at 68kg

Tropo, my weight for several years has hovered around 72Kg.  At that weight, I have a relatively large beer gut and love handles.  My waist size was about 34 inches.

Perhaps 15 years ago, my weight was 62Kg and a waist size of 29 - 30 inches. 

Since my weight now is about 68 Kg, it is not a low weight for me.  I still have a beer gut and love handles, albeit they are reducing in size.  My waist is still about 33 inches.

We are not all built like American Soccer players.  

How much does a Thai male weigh?  I mentioned before that my body type/build is very similar to a Thai male.

As I previously mentioned, I am seriously motivated to lose fat, not weight.  If I achieve my fat target at a weight of 68Kg or at a weight of 60Kg, the weight is not important.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Tropo, my weight for several years has hovered around 72Kg.  At that weight, I have a relatively large beer gut and love handles.  My waist size was about 34 inches.

Perhaps 15 years ago, my weight was 62Kg and a waist size of 29 - 30 inches. 

Since my weight now is about 68 Kg, it is not a low weight for me.  I still have a beer gut and love handles, albeit they are reducing in size.  My waist is still about 33 inches.

We are not all built like American Soccer players.  

How much does a Thai male weigh?  I mentioned before that my body type/build is very similar to a Thai male.

As I previously mentioned, I am seriously motivated to lose fat, not weight.  If I achieve my fat target at a weight of 68Kg or at a weight of 60Kg, the weight is not important.

Simon,i am around your size and 66 kilo at the moment.Bodyfat around 18% right now,have been lifting weights for the

last six months again and really start to feel and see the difference.When i compare myself with most male farangs

i know i look skinny but i am the normal one and they are fat!Fat seems to be the new norm and if you are under 20%

body fat people are calling you skinny.Keep it up and feel good about your own body.

Fat seems to be the new norm...

LoL so true :).

Without wanting to put posters off their food, I just snapped a photo of my abdomen.  I'd say that there is still some excess fat there....

Snapshot9.jpg

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I'd say that there is still some excess fat there....

and i'd say "either your scale is broken or your height is not 1.72 but 1.62" :whistling: no way to carry that amount of bacon with 172cm and 68kg.

32 minutes ago, simon43 said:

LoL so true :).

Without wanting to put posters off their food, I just snapped a photo of my abdomen.  I'd say that there is still some excess fat there....

Snapshot9.jpg

Yes, still a bit to go.....now you need definition......but it's a start......

Archived