Jump to content
BANGKOK 24 April 2019 09:28

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dontoearth

Ideal Weight? Does anyone have a goal or target weight??

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Very interesting post, though I did think that you should be a certain weight according to your height. I have little fat and little muscle, I was never strong when I was a teenager, just about everyone would beat me at arm wrestling, but when it came to running, I was faster than most other guys in my age group.

 

But take a guy at 185 Cms, he should weigh around 78-80Ks. If a guy is big muscled, no fat, 185 cms tall and weighs about 95 Ks, he is still well overweight no matter how you dress it up, and he is only that weight because of pumping iron, and probably on steroids, as muscle weighs more than fat.

 

Robblok beat me to the reply but yeah.

 

bodybuilder will almost always be heavier yes but no one would call them "overweight" even if they are generally over the average.

I used to run quite a bit, wish I still did (damn dogs)

 

for reference here's a picture of me on the left at about 68kg, 191cm. with my dad and brother about ±15kg more (so 191cm and 83-85kg)

 

1233339_10151672222815617_11510916_n.jpg.8d8e42e0d9e4c66391b31b372b62978b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robblok said:

Your a funny guy with a skinny guy complex... overweight is used for fat not muscle. 

 

But now that you explained how everyone could beat you up it all made sense to me. 

I'm sorry Robbok, but much as I agree with nearly all your posts, IMO, guys who pump iron, and a lot of them are on steroids, so much that their bodies are full of veins, look like freaks, and it is not natural. I still say that guys who are so full of muscle that they are a lot of Ks above the normal weight for their height are over weight, the scales in the gym don't lie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I'm sorry Robbok, but much as I agree with nearly all your posts, IMO, guys who pump iron, and a lot of them are on steroids, so much that their bodies are full of veins, look like freaks, and it is not natural. I still say that guys who are so full of muscle that they are a lot of Ks above the normal weight for their height are over weight, the scales in the gym don't lie.

Mine ain't and l don't...:stoner:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I'm sorry Robbok, but much as I agree with nearly all your posts, IMO, guys who pump iron, and a lot of them are on steroids, so much that their bodies are full of veins, look like freaks, and it is not natural. I still say that guys who are so full of muscle that they are a lot of Ks above the normal weight for their height are over weight, the scales in the gym don't lie.

Look... its ok for you to live in your own world and make up your own fantasy. I wont shatter your illusions. Your totally wrong about what constitutes overweight. You have no medical background. The overweight term is based on fat.. and its the health problems stemming from that. 

 

As for steroids, I would not know if it were a lot or not. I am sure that many of the biggest guys are on steroids, but in a given gym they are a minority. I understand you got a bit of a trauma from your youth being the smallest and now you feel you have to defend the only thing you got going for yourself your weight. 

 

So be it.. i prefer to debate based on facts not made up stories. Overweight is designed to look for people who are to fat and have health risks from carrying extra weight. This does not apply to athletes (bodybuilders included) who are heavier because muscle is heavier than fat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Look... its ok for you to live in your own world and make up your own fantasy. I wont shatter your illusions. Your totally wrong about what constitutes overweight. You have no medical background. The overweight term is based on fat.. and its the health problems stemming from that. 

 

As for steroids, I would not know if it were a lot or not. I am sure that many of the biggest guys are on steroids, but in a given gym they are a minority. I understand you got a bit of a trauma from your youth being the smallest and now you feel you have to defend the only thing you got going for yourself your weight. 

 

So be it.. i prefer to debate based on facts not made up stories. Overweight is designed to look for people who are to fat and have health risks from carrying extra weight. This does not apply to athletes (bodybuilders included) who are heavier because muscle is heavier than fat. 

I'm not saying that being overmuscled is a health risk, what I am saying is that some of these photos I have seen are unsightly, just like these fat bellied  tattooed guys. You

must know the sort I am talking about. But we will just have to agree to disagree that overmuscled guys are overweight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, possum1931 said:

I'm not saying that being overmuscled is a health risk, what I am saying is that some of these photos I have seen are unsightly, just like these fat bellied  tattooed guys. You

must know the sort I am talking about. But we will just have to agree to disagree that overmuscled guys are overweight.

I find real skinny guys unsightly.. just like fat bellies and tattooed guys.. and the current top bodybuilders are not something I think looks good. But muscled is ok with me. But can't debate taste as everyone likes different stuff.

 

As for the overweight.. lets agree to disagree because its an endless debate and you don't seem to understand that overweight is a medical term and based on fat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, robblok said:

I find real skinny guys unsightly.. just like fat bellies and tattooed guys.. and the current top bodybuilders are not something I think looks good. But muscled is ok with me. But can't debate taste as everyone likes different stuff.

 

As for the overweight.. lets agree to disagree because its an endless debate and you don't seem to understand that overweight is a medical term and based on fat.

OK mate. Muscled is OK with me too up to a point. I cannot comment on medical terms, I think Sheryls the one for that.

I'm happy the way I am 6ft and 77Ks, not skinny but slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

OK mate. Muscled is OK with me too up to a point. I cannot comment on medical terms, I think Sheryls the one for that.

I'm happy the way I am 6ft and 77Ks, not skinny but slim.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

 

 

 

Sorry possum, just couldnt resist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

OK mate. Muscled is OK with me too up to a point. I cannot comment on medical terms, I think Sheryls the one for that.

I'm happy the way I am 6ft and 77Ks, not skinny but slim.

As long as your happy with how you are then that is ok, there was a time I was not happy with my looks and it caused me to lose 25kg of weight. I kept the fat off.. though my weight went up because of muscle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A better way to look at this is in a table or chart format.  You will notice that the BMI (Body Mass Index) gives you a range of weights that are considered healthy.   The BMI for my height 5

10" runs from 136-173 lbs.   That is quite a range of weight.   It still won't include body builders or super athletes or very short or very tall people.  A friend commented that an update for older people would be helpful too.   It probably covers about  80-85% of the population very well.  It is hard to remember what a world of normal weight people looked like.  Try some google image searches of old crowd photos in the 1940-60's.  You will see a lot of ANOREXIC people.  LOL  Or you will realize we have bent the norm way out of shape making overweight seem normal.   And blood pressure pills seems normal!  And cholesterol pills seems normal!  And Type II Diabetes seems normal!  Do you get my drift?   The extra 20-40 lbs people are carrying around is unhealthy!   Either it causes disease which science is presently debating or is a sign of disease.  Cause or correlation?  My brother told me how you need to be overweight to fight off a major diseases according to his doctor's advice.  My thought was that you would be a lot less likely to have a major disease like cancer or heart failure to fight off if you weren't overweight in the first place!   I am down from a BMI of 30 to a BMI of 26 but need to move down to a 24 BMI.  It ain't easy.  I do believe it is very necessary.

Here is a chart giving ranges for a healthy weight based on height.  

http://www.free-power-point-templates.com/articles/free-printable-body-mass-index-bmi-chart/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fat VS. normal weight for body builders or athletes can only be solved by body fat testing.  My health club the Olympic in Parthumwan Princess Hotel at MBK has an electronic Tanita scale with body composition analyzer.  According to the product manual it is within some small % point of DEXA scans.   If you are way above  normal weight on BMI and muscular a scan to prove you are healthy meaning low fat weight would clear things up nicely.  There are charts or scales showing a healthy body fat weight.  BTW, my body fat is still too high.  :sad:  Here is an article for the more athletically inclined.

https://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

The fat VS. normal weight for body builders or athletes can only be solved by body fat testing.  My health club the Olympic in Parthumwan Princess Hotel at MBK has an electronic Tanita scale with body composition analyzer.  According to the product manual it is within some small % point of DEXA scans.   If you are way above  normal weight on BMI and muscular a scan to prove you are healthy meaning low fat weight would clear things up nicely.  There are charts or scales showing a healthy body fat weight.  BTW, my body fat is still too high.  :sad:  Here is an article for the more athletically inclined.

https://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

 

Allow me to come in again and upset the apple cart.

 

This is no such thing as a healthy body weight. You can be very healthy and fat or very unhealthy and skinny, and everywhere in between.

 

BMI scales are merely statistical averages and have no place in modern day assessment as the figures you get are merely "statistical lies".

 

Ever heard of the guy who drowned crossing a river with an average depth of 3 feet?

 

We should stop using meaningless words such as "overweight" and "underweight" and use percentage of body fat. Geez, when I'm in shape I'm over 100kg and around 10% bodyfat. That's obese on BMI scales. I actually feel lean at 100kg. I'd feel like a skeleton at 80kg.

 

Having said that, I don't think there would be any additional health risk if, for example,  I carried 10kg more of body fat. That's all about body image and vanity, not health. The important thing is to keep an eye on things such as blood sugar levels and blood pressure and try to stay fit. You can carry extra fat and still be fit and healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, tropo said:

Allow me to come in again and upset the apple cart.

 

This is no such thing as a healthy body weight. You can be very healthy and fat or very unhealthy and skinny, and everywhere in between.

 

BMI scales are merely statistical averages and have no place in modern day assessment as the figures you get are merely "statistical lies".

 

Ever heard of the guy who drowned crossing a river with an average depth of 3 feet?

 

We should stop using meaningless words such as "overweight" and "underweight" and use percentage of body fat. Geez, when I'm in shape I'm over 100kg and around 10% bodyfat. That's obese on BMI scales. I actually feel lean at 100kg. I'd feel like a skeleton at 80kg.

 

Having said that, I don't think there would be any additional health risk if, for example,  I carried 10kg more of body fat. That's all about body image and vanity, not health. The important thing is to keep an eye on things such as blood sugar levels and blood pressure and try to stay fit. You can carry extra fat and still be fit and healthy.

I was totally agreeing with you and hyperlink is a chart on % of BODYFAT! :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I was totally agreeing with you and hyperlink is a chart on % of BODYFAT! :smile:

Sure... I was harping on about the "healthy body weight" terminology that everyone clings onto these days. A lot of the leaner folk would probably be healthier with more body fat, but vanity prevents that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...