True Fiber Huawei HG8247H Bridge Mode

matbkk

Hi,

I want to switch my True Fiber Router into Bidge Mode. I found 2 tutorials In thai which are pretty clkear (even though I do not speak thai).

http://pantip.com/topic/35060773

I am only confused about the part regarding the Fiber ppoe password.

How to get or save this Password ? (true won't reveal the password) 

Is it possible to do so with windows instead of Mac OS  

Thanks,

Mat

You've tried highlighting the existing character string, copying into Notepad, then re-copying and pasting it back in to a new WAN config? That didn't work? (I guess it shouldn't but not sure?)

I'd ask True, tell them you're not satisfied with the WiFi performance of their router and want to bridge in your own router. They should allow you to do this.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

You've tried highlighting the existing character string, copying into Notepad, then re-copying and pasting it back in to a new WAN config? That didn't work? (I guess it shouldn't but not sure?)

I am not sure that it would work but I am very scared of screwing up my connection...

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I'd ask True, tell them you're not satisfied with the WiFi performance of their router and want to bridge in your own router. They should allow you to do this.

I aksed them but I am waiting for a call back from a special technician for 3 days now. So I would feel better to be independant by doing the change by my own.

Just found this trick which seems to work :

Open the router configuration page using a browser like Google Chrome or Firefox. Right click the password box, select Inspect element.

Search for <input type="password".... and remove that bit. It should show the password in plain text

enter image description here

http://superuser.com/questions/777548/how-to-reveal-pppoe-password-behind-asterisk-in-my-router

OK, you're scared but independent, got it.

You are creating a new, second WAN configuration, which you will save, apply and enable. You'll still have you original WAN configuration which will still be available, and re-enable-able.

I was simply suggesting that you may be able to copy the password from the current configuration, out to Notepad, then back in to the new, second WAN configuration. Not much to screw up there?

All that said, you may still need True's help. for example they may only allow a log-in from the MAC address associated with your Huawei, so they'd need to update their config with the MAC address of your "secondary" router?

Thanks Mtls.

Actually by following the youtube tutorial it works.

1) Do not forget to unplug the fiber cable from your router when you reset it 

2) When set into bridge mode your other router must be able to handle PPoE

3) for me User Name was 123456789@fiberhome and password 123456789 

I assume that it is the same for everyone the password is just your user number

Mat

Step by step:

1) remove optical cable

2) press reset button for 15 seconds

3) log in to 192.168.1.1 as telecomadmin password admintelecom

4) select system tools and save old config file. If you mess up you can restore it.

5) select WAN page and copy the WAN login 96044xxxx...@fiberhome

6) select "New"  - this will be your new config.

7) Enable WAN, WAN mode=Bridge WAN, VLAN ID=100, Binding Options Lan1/2/3/4/SSID1 and apply

8) Delete old WAN config.

8) Change Password and LAN IP  to suit your setup (LAN IP not to be on same subnet as your PC's e.g. 192.168.0.1)

9) After applying this the router IP will now change to 192.168.0.1 and the bridge mode will start working

10) go to your own router and set WAN to PPPOE

11) Set login to your copied 96044xxx...@fiberhome and password to same xxxx...  (for TRUE Internet Thailand, they use the same ID as password)

12) Check the router now gets a WAN IP. Check internet works.

Having done the above, you will probably find that you can't port forward, and that UPnP/NAT-PMP doesn't really work. The reason is that TRUE puts most people behind their own "Carrier-Grade NAT"  (google it).

You must telephone their customer support and ask them to remove you from their NAT. The easiest way to make them do it is to say you have cctv cameras that you need to access over the internet.

• 5 months later...
On 9/29/2016 at 7:50 PM, stolidfeline said:

Having done the above, you will probably find that you can't port forward, and that UPnP/NAT-PMP doesn't really work. The reason is that TRUE puts most people behind their own "Carrier-Grade NAT"  (google it).

You must telephone their customer support and ask them to remove you from their NAT. The easiest way to make them do it is to say you have cctv cameras that you need to access over the internet.

Turning of uPnP anyways is a good idea.  It was good when it was first created, but it lacks security and now the devices have multiplied.... each of them possibly communicating with the router and opening a port.... many of them with massive security problems.  Manually configuring port forwarding when you want is better.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

don't mean to answer to old topics but I too have issues accessing my huawei router + Ip cams over the internet. I assigned static IP addresses outside DHCP range, setup port forwarding and enabled DDNS in my True Huawei HG8247H router. I'm able to see my cams through internal wifi, so setup is ok internally, but I can't seem to get them to work when visiting my DDNS url. A friend of mine tried pinging the router from Europe, but he didn't get a responds. I've noticed this post which suggests that True is blocking port forwarding and putting us behind a Carrier NAT? I've done a quick what is my IP search and the result was 27.xxx.xxx.xxx but internally the router assigned a 100.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address. My knowledge end here.. should I call True for support and request NAT removal? Or should I switch to a different router using bridge mode?

Thanks

Archived