Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

5 year driving licence refused


pazza

Recommended Posts

Hi, I live in Nong Khai province, have extensions based on retirement (7yrs) this year ( first time )I had a re-entry permit so I could leave Thailand for three weeks(February 2016) I went to renew my 5 year driving licence (September 2016) I was told that I could only have a 2 year temporary licence because I had left Thailand, and even though I explained that I had a re-entry permit, they said if I waited until I have my new extension (in December 2016) I could have a 5 year licence.

Has anybody had any experience like this,

Would it be worth making a complaint,

Is there anywhere I can see any supporting documents about this.

 

I hope someone can help as I don't think I have done anything wrong and I have been penalised by unquallified (in immigration law) people in the driving licence department.

 

Thanks in advance

 

Steve

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds crazy,Steve. Never heard of it before. I suggest you speak to someone higher up the 'food chain' in that office or ask for details of the countrywide complaints dept (in BKK?). I'm fairly confident that you will find out that some idiotic office-Waller has no idea of how to do his/her job.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the typical kind of service you sometimes come across at various offices in Thailand.

A poorly trained service advisor, who being unsure of the rules, plays safe to avoid getting in trouble from his superiors, rather than risk the loss of face by checking with those same superiors.

 

I'd return to the same office and demand to see the superior for an explanation.

If indeed this was the rule, we'd have had numerous complaints on TV about it.

You could ring 1111 to complain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add to this problem, the same lady,  when I gave her my documents, said she wanted my yellow book verified by immigration, (even though immigration check it annually and sometimes on my 90 day report).

The man (at the end of the desks) at immigration said he was confused and it took 3 days to do.

I am glad this lady doesn't work at immigration (but she thinks she does).

I think I will go to see her boss (lots of people(Thai) have said this will not change anything, and could make it worse next time.

Thanks again

 

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pazza said:

Just to add to this problem, the same lady,  when I gave her my documents, said she wanted my yellow book verified by immigration, (even though immigration check it annually and sometimes on my 90 day report).

The man (at the end of the desks) at immigration said he was confused and it took 3 days to do.

I am glad this lady doesn't work at immigration (but she thinks she does).

I think I will go to see her boss (lots of people(Thai) have said this will not change anything, and could make it worse next time.

Thanks again

 

Steve

Think you were dealt with by an AH......:bah:

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.smartdriveudon.com/

 

Try this place in Udon Thani. 

I did my last renewal there and it was a breeze compared to the government office

Simple eye test, they filled out the paperwork,  and escorted two of use to the DL office where they did the paperwork and handled the picture taking.

Cost was 3500 baht I think and well worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just go to the DL office in Udon Thani, I renewed mine very recently there, I have been in and out of the country 3 or 4 times this year - a few hundred baht and a couple of hours max!

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 years ago I had a 1 year temporary licence, then a 5 year licence so it should be another 5 year licence not the 2 year temporary licence they gave me.

I have lived here (Thailand) for 7 years, I have not done anything wrong why should I not have another 5 year licence (if we just accept everything from incomptent officials where will it end ??)

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pazza said:

Just to add to this problem, the same lady,  when I gave her my documents, said she wanted my yellow book verified by immigration, (even though immigration check it annually and sometimes on my 90 day report).

The man (at the end of the desks) at immigration said he was confused and it took 3 days to do.

I am glad this lady doesn't work at immigration (but she thinks she does).

I think I will go to see her boss (lots of people(Thai) have said this will not change anything, and could make it worse next time.

Thanks again

 

Steve

Immigration has zero to do with issue/verification of a Yellow Book as the Yellow Book is issued by your local government/district office that is in charge of issuing ID cards and a whole variety of documents/services.    

 

And when you say Immigration verifies your Yellow Book annually and every 90 day report, no they don't.  They may look at it just because you show it to them, but they don't any verification like verifying it's a valid Yellow Book.

 

Surprised this lady you are dealing with didn't ask to have your Yellow Book translated to English and then translated back to Thai again.  Sounds like she is just giving a hard time. 

 

Or maybe what she was really trying to communicate to you is she wants a Certificate of Residence issued by immigration or your home country embassy which is frequently asked for a variety of reasons like to open bank account, get certain Thai documents issued, buy a vehicle, etc.   Basically, she just wanted a Certificate of Residence although a Yellow Book is basically that (your house/address registration)  issued by your local district office.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pib, in reply

 

(Immigration has zero to do with issue/verification of a Yellow Book as the Yellow Book is issued by your local government/district office that is in charge of issuing ID cards and a whole variety of documents/services. )

 

I  agree Pib, but, she did not, so I had to get a letter from immigration (I had to take my wifes ID card and her tabien baan )

 

I didn't say immigration verified it, I said that they check it annually (and I know it isn't on the list of documents for retirement  extension but what can I do. And Sometimes on my 90 day report (I always take it just in case they need it) ( I have been asked for it a number of times). (I think its just their way of making their day interesting.

 

Again I fully agree that the yellow book is proof of address (issued at the amphur), I also agree she may have been giving me a hard time (for some unknown reason) thats why I ended up with a 2 year temporary licence

 

Thanks for the input, I think I will try to see the ladies boss ( not sure it will change anything  but I can try ?)

 

Steve

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact you have a Tabian Baan means you are registered on the Civilian Register.

Any government department can check your ID and address against your TB number.

 

For what it's worth, I have a Tabian Baan and got the new Foreigners ID card as soon as they became available.

My passport was used as my original ID when I got my 1 year temporary DL. (Passport number)

I asked the DLT to change my ID number to that of my Foreigners ID card. (Same as TB).

Since then I have only required my TB and Foreigners ID card to change my licence (new address) and to re-tax my motorcycle.

Passport never required now, just the same documents a Thai supplies.

 

It does help having someone who knows their job though.

 

On principle, I wouldn't accept her answer and would take it higher.

Ring 1111 while your there, (English speakers) they'll speak to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Faz

 

My first (1 year temp licence) I had my UK licence, passport, and an international driving licence (even back then I was taking no chances ?)

 

I think the bottom line on this is, maybe, the ladies inexperience, (she was more than 40 yrs old I think)

I need to do this in such a way as to not create a life long enemy ?

Thanks again Faz, good advice (as was the advice from some of the other members )?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Go to AEK in Udon Thani or to the LTO south of Udon and you will have no problem. Total cost for 2 licences, car and bike, at the AEK was about 300 baht, total time was about 15 minutes 

Think I paid twice that........and had to watch the video even though l had a 5 year one before...:facepalm:

 

I asked why and was told the new gov orders...After we watched it we had to sign a book to show we had...

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a worry,i had a years temp licence and then changed it in for a 5 year,which i got with no prob's.My licence is up in june next year,but i have moved to khon kaen.i assume my present licence will show my old Pattaya address I have registered with the police here and immigration are no problem when i do my 90 day report.I'm now wondering if i had better register my new address (living here for a year now)with the DL department before i apply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

^  For what its worth! My previous license had a Pattaya address when I renewed it recently - they never questioned it in Udon AEK, I did have to watch the one hour video though!!

They also had no interest in the medical I had done either, just gave me the form back & said not required.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have admitted defeat ?
I will try to keep this brief,.
A friend of mine kindly loaned me his wife as interpreter, and diplomat, so,


 I went back to the driving  licence dept and we had a word with the same woman (the one that gave me the run- around).
The problem   (she said) was that the last entry in my passport (my entry stamp) didn't have retirement on it, even though the page prior to this (the facing page) had my re-entry permit, and, prior to that my extension (based on retirement renwable in January) was in full view
She then said that I could get the 5 yr licence if I waited 1yr and 1 day  that was her best offer.
She then said "they" had, a meeting about this and she was right ??
So just for clarification I went to Nong Khai immigration and spoke to the man near the window (if you have been their you will know who I mean) he was very helpful but confused, he even put a retirement stamp on my entry stamp ? he also gave me his mobile number incase the woman wanted clarification.


Well, we went back (99.9% sure of the outcome) and she was just walking past so we grabbed her and explained what we had done, showed her the ?retirement ? stamp and she said it was too late now I should have done this before it was issued as it couldn't be changed now, saying she was busy she ran away.
My wifes friend asked her what documents I should take when I come for the 5 yr licence, she said the usual documents + I have to go to immigration again to verify my yellow book (I know what you said Faz) her reason, because you could have sold the land and moved again by next year ?
I found the Thai MOT website, it has a complaint's box (probably goes straight to junk mail)and I was wondering, if I should complain or not, and if I did complain what should I say?

Any (helpful) suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks for listening to my liitle vent
????

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pazza said:

I have admitted defeat ?
I will try to keep this brief,.
A friend of mine kindly loaned me his wife as interpreter, and diplomat, so,


 I went back to the driving  licence dept and we had a word with the same woman (the one that gave me the run- around).
The problem   (she said) was that the last entry in my passport (my entry stamp) didn't have retirement on it, even though the page prior to this (the facing page) had my re-entry permit, and, prior to that my extension (based on retirement renwable in January) was in full view
She then said that I could get the 5 yr licence if I waited 1yr and 1 day  that was her best offer.
She then said "they" had, a meeting about this and she was right ??
So just for clarification I went to Nong Khai immigration and spoke to the man near the window (if you have been their you will know who I mean) he was very helpful but confused, he even put a retirement stamp on my entry stamp ? he also gave me his mobile number incase the woman wanted clarification.


Well, we went back (99.9% sure of the outcome) and she was just walking past so we grabbed her and explained what we had done, showed her the ?retirement ? stamp and she said it was too late now I should have done this before it was issued as it couldn't be changed now, saying she was busy she ran away.
My wifes friend asked her what documents I should take when I come for the 5 yr licence, she said the usual documents + I have to go to immigration again to verify my yellow book (I know what you said Faz) her reason, because you could have sold the land and moved again by next year ?
I found the Thai MOT website, it has a complaint's box (probably goes straight to junk mail)and I was wondering, if I should complain or not, and if I did complain what should I say?

Any (helpful) suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks for listening to my liitle vent
????

 

Get over it and move on, nothing good or positive will come out of your complaint.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

 

Get over it and move on, nothing good or positive will come out of your complaint.

3 things

 

1 read the previous posts

2 If it happened to me it could happen to you (and will keep happening)

3 I did say "helpful posts"

Thanks anyway

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...