BANGKOK 25 April 2019 21:37
Dagnabbit

What is a 'normal' drinker?

On 9/26/2016 at 4:15 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am surprised that nobody have yet tried to quantify what is "normal" drinking. Most health guidelines suggest 3 units of alcohol per day on average is tolerable. Keep in mind that a unit of alcohol is defined as 10 ml of pure alcohol.

A weekly intake of 21 units could be:

1 bottle of wine

6 beers

Personally, on average, that is my upper limits.

Drink a couple of times a week some few glasses or units to food, would be a normal drinker to me. And if going party, then social drinking some few units up to 5-6 would be normal where I come from. 

Someone who drinks on social occasions, or maybe as the odd tot at the end of the day. Depends on the culture. I would imagine a lot of French could get thru a bottle of wine a day, just through social interactions. In the UK the parallel would be someone who binges every now and then, but the rest of the time drinks tea. I remember something from Freud - he said that one way modern man finds his situation tolerable is thru the prudent use of alcohol. Freud always amazes me, so far ahead of his time - he got the father figure, mother figure exactly right, not that it helped me much, but it did help explain an otherwise rather perplexing situation - when your SO starts comparing you to her mother.

A “normal” drinker is someone that does not worry about their drinking one way or another...

• Haha 1

Depending on your doctor and your wallet, any amount of alcohol might be considered 'abnormal'. The effects of alcohol are slow to make themselves apparent and by the time you notice this it may be too late to realise that it was abnormal to have drunk so much. Or maybe you don't care, in my case my family cares. 

I drink, generally one small Chang a day, sat in the garden spoiling the dogs in the evening.