BANGKOK 20 April 2019 17:46
Dagnabbit

What is a 'normal' drinker?

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

So how to give up drinking could turkey 

I gave up smoking doing this how you do Drinking?

It depends how much and for how long you have been drinking.

It did it many times with a few valium. It would take me a couple of days before I could eat anything. The valium should only be used for a few days.

Also, glucolin was very useful - pure glucose powder to put in all drinks.

On 26.9.2016 at 9:15 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am surprised that nobody have yet tried to quantify what is "normal" drinking. Most health guidelines suggest 3 units of alcohol per day on average is tolerable. Keep in mind that a unit of alcohol is defined as 10 ml of pure alcohol.

A weekly intake of 21 units could be:

1 bottle of wine

6 beers

Personally, on average, that is my upper limits.

You can´t quantify. We´re all different !

Especially me . .   :smile:

3 hours ago, starfish said:

You can´t quantify. We´re all different !

Especially me . .   :smile:

That is true, even our inner plumbing and chemistry works in different ways and it was very well illustrated in a Horizon documentary.

Some, especially Asians are direct allergic to alcohol and flush red when drinking.

The majority just get drunk and have a hangover.

Some have an internal "pressure relief valve" for alcohol and can drink heavily without getting excessive drunk and have moderate hangovers. 

Personally, I hate hangovers and that naturally limits my drinking.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2016 at 0:49 PM, cooked said:

In my case, I knew for a long time that I should stop drinking, I was developing acid reflux and was puking twice or more a week. Financially, I used up all my savings and realised that if I didn't stop I would have to go back home where I would be much better off financially but still have a drinking problem. During a 10 day stay back home my step-granddaughter started sending me messages in English (for the first time) everyday asking when I was coming back, she missed me and sloppy stuff like that. I had a last beer on the plane back and that was the last drink, 131 days ago (yes I have a count up program on my PC). Now I actually have money at the end of the month and am saving, life has improved.

What it comes down to, as far as I am concerned: knowing you should stop isn't enough, you need to be 100% convinced that you need to, for whatever reason.

Cheers!

counter.odt

That's great, well done "cooked".

Millions of lives and families are destroyed every year when people get caught up in semantics about normal drinking and alcoholism.

If my drinking causes problems in my life, I have a drinking problem.  Full stop.  Whether I'm a normal drinker, an alcoholic or anything in between.

I wasn't an alcoholic when I darkened the door of my first AA meeting.  It didn't matter.  I stopped drinking and a lot of life's problems get better.  That's what counts.

Today, I'm a grateful alcoholic.  

• Like 1

Alcoholics, by definition, will always redefine "Normal". They will gravitate to and attract people, were 12 beers a day is normal. Smokers do the same. If all your friends have there 1st beer at 10am and you wait until 11am, you can pat yourself on the back , normal drinking is a beer at 10am, I wait until 11, Im not an alcoholic.

• Like 1

"alcoholic" - A man, or a woman, sitting in an AA meeting - trying to figure out if they're alcoholic or not.

"normal drinker" - Someone who never ever asks what a normal drinker is...

LOL

j/k ofc

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ding said:

"alcoholic" - A man, or a woman, sitting in an AA meeting - trying to figure out if they're alcoholic or not.

One of my personal favorites:

The difference between a drunk and an alcoholic?   Drunks don't have to go to those meetings.

• Like 1

On September 25, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Johnniey said:

Normal drinkers don't post how much they had to drink on internet forums at 2 am in the morning. 

Heavy drinkers or alcoholics perhaps wouldn't be able to !!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Heavy drinkers or alcoholics perhaps wouldn't be able to !!

Some great pieces of literature has been written by heavy drinker and alcoholics.

18 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Some great pieces of literature has been written by heavy drinker and alcoholics.

Indeed, the same can be said of many substances...  However, this forum no longer offers the 'chain of quotes' making use of context difficult when understanding a response... 

On 26 September 2016 at 3:15 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

I am surprised that nobody have yet tried to quantify what is "normal" drinking. Most health guidelines suggest 3 units of alcohol per day on average is tolerable. Keep in mind that a unit of alcohol is defined as 10 ml of pure alcohol.

A weekly intake of 21 units could be:

1 bottle of wine

6 beers

Personally, on average, that is my upper limits.

a bottle of wine is about 10-12 units so 2 bottles of wine per week and a pint of beer is 2-3 units so around 8 pints