What is a 'normal' drinker?

Dagnabbit

On 1/20/2018 at 6:19 PM, Langsuan Man said:

I can't tell you what makes a normal drinker but can tell you how you can spot one

They don't have to chug down a drink before it is finished if they need to leave

Look at a table when a group leaves and the non empty glasses are those of the normal drinkers in most cases

Unless they are Scotch? :laugh:

On 2/3/2018 at 4:14 AM, champers said:

With girls who aren't really girls?

and people who are really robots...a true virtual experience.  Maybe you can write to playstation to get them to make this type of headset and never leave the house!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2018 at 10:12 AM, gerryBScot said:

Part of my journey into alcoholism was the drink diary. It didn't work for me. I was getting so drunk I couldn't fill it in and couldn't even remember what I had drunk.

My counselor didn't believe me. First week was 285 units. 32 units for a bottle of spirits, 1 unit for a glass of wine. 2 units for a point of strong beer.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 9:15 AM, Neeranam said:

My counselor didn't believe me. First week was 285 units. 32 units for a bottle of spirits, 1 unit for a glass of wine. 2 units for a point of strong beer.

That is some consumption Neeranam. The equivalent of well over a bottle of spirits every day of the week. How long did you drink at that rate for.?

Is there any consensus on what is one unit of alcohol.?

My understanding is that one single vodka is one unit. So 25 ml at 40%abv makes it 10 ml of alcohol equals one unit.

So one 620 ml bottle of normal Thai beer is over 3 units. And didn't the UK sometime recently reduce the recommended max to 14 units. We're all doomed.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rott said:

That is some consumption Neeranam. The equivalent of well over a bottle of spirits every day of the week. How long did you drink at that rate for.?

I only drank that amount for usually 2-3 weeks then had a break of a week or so, but once it lasted nearer 1 year.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I only drank that amount for usually 2-3 weeks then had a break of a week or so, but once it lasted nearer 1 year.

If you came out of that with no permanent damage you are a lucky man. Best wishes with staying off it.

That is close to 10 times what I would do in an average week, the hangovers won't let me drink too much.

• Like 1

If you can't conceive of a social interaction that doesn't involve alcohol

If you can't go to a game without alcohol

If you can't sit on a beach without alcohol

If you look forward to that beer at the end of the day and leave quickly for it

If you can't eat an evening meal without aalcohol

If you can't celebrate without alcohol

If you can't drive home because you drank alcohol

If you change your plans to include alcohol.....

If your excuse for being late is because of alcohol

If you ever get a hangover

If you miss work because of alcohol

If you argue with someone because of alcohol

I'm sure you can think of more....

.. in truth any one of those above ever happens alcohol, not you, is running your life.

I see this in so many expats....nothing to do, they fill their days around bouts of alcohol consumption......and then make up spurious sets of rules or excuses to justify their self imposed slavery.

"I never drink in the day"

"I often go for a day or more with no alcohol"

"I just do it to be sociable"

"I never drink and drive.......I always get a motor cycle taxi"

"I don't drink in the week"

"It helps me relax"

These are of course just admissions that alcohol is dominating your life....

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rott said:

If you came out of that with no permanent damage you are a lucky man. Best wishes with staying off it.

That is close to 10 times what I would do in an average week, the hangovers won't let me drink too much.

It's extremely unlikely that this person is undamaged by alcohol.

Apart from long term injury to heart liver and lungs many illnesses are result of alcohol abuse.

Meanwhile take a look at the list of effects on brain function......

Occasional and moderate drinkers:

• Memory impairment
  • Blackout
  • Recklessness
  • Impaired decision-making

Heavy and/or chronic drinkers:

• Diminished brain size
  • Inability to think abstractly
  • Loss of visuospatial abilities
  • Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome
  • Memory loss
  • Loss of attention span

Edited by Airbagwill

14 hours ago, Briggsy said:

In the UK, a unit of alcohol is 1 cl. of alcohol.

Thus a can of Tiger is 32 cl. at 5 % abv. = 1.6 cl. or units of alcohol.

There is not a standard international language for the unit of alcohol, however the concept is pretty universal

"One unit of alcohol (UK) is defined as 10 millilitres (8 grams) of pure alcohol" -wiki.

Australia has a very detailed approach to alcohol consumption...both in units effect on sexes and body weight and time it takes to wear off.

Check either Aussie or UK web sites.

The US approach is fragmented, archaic, cloaked in dogma, religious morality and ineptitude.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've been working outside in the Thailand heat for past week, and having a tall Leo on ice at noon is heaven. And at end of workday another tall Leo.....ahhhhhhhh the good life.

2 weak cordials a day is allowed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've been working outside in the Thailand heat for past week, and having a tall Leo on ice at noon is heaven. And at end of workday another tall Leo.....ahhhhhhhh the good life.

Never understood why people would drink that when Chang does the job so much faster.

The world of alcohol dosing really exposes as a  nonsense any attempt to describe norms. At best so called safe limits are a bench mark or yard stick but there are huge variables and variations. A friend tells me he gambles on a pokey every day for an hour and limits himself to a certain, affordable amount. He's self-evidently deluding himself in the same way that I'd be deluding myself if I thought I was drinking 14 or 21 units of alcohol a week and thus was drinking within safe limits, whatever that latter term may actually mean. I am so glad to be out of the debate other than in this context....

Its gotta be tough in such a hot humid climate not to be able to sit in an air con bar while sipping on a few pints. if I couldn't control my drinking I would probably leave Thailand especially because it has such an active bar scene and lets face it most meetings with friends are in a bar if you live in Bangkok or Pattaya ,Phuket or Chiang mai.

Edited by InMyShadow

15 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Its gotta be tough in such a hot humid climate not to be able to sit in an air con bar while sipping on a few pints. if I couldn't control my drinking I would probably leave Thailand especially because it has such an active bar scene and lets face it most meetings with friends are in a bar if you live in Bangkok or Pattaya ,Phuket or Chiang mai.

One could say the same about anywhere.

Sitting in a warm bar in Scotland or Finland, for example. Thailand is a great place NOT to drink!! Most my friends don't drink, so we don't care about meeting in a bar or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 7:09 PM, InMyShadow said:

and lets face it most meetings with friends are in a bar if you live in Bangkok or Pattaya ,Phuket or Chiang mai.

Not for everyone , most meetings I have with with friends are inside coffee bars.  But I can't stand the bar scene anyway . 

A pretty simple indicator of what's a "normal" drinker, is one who never has to ask himself the question. 

Taking that a step further and in my experience, (almost 40 years as a "skid row" volunteer) by the time anyone has to ask himself what's "normal," he has a drinking problem. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Okay, what is a problem drinker?

In my opinion. If you have a problem that you dont want to occur as a result of drinking alcohol and you continue to drink alcohol at that level so that you have that or another equally unwanted problem occur again, then by definition you have a drinking problem. You decided that the drinking was more important than eliminating the occurance of problems.

• Like 1