BANGKOK 21 April 2019 11:24
Dagnabbit

What is a 'normal' drinker?

57 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

I wasn't suggesting everyone should use spreadsheets.

Part of my journey into alcoholism was the drink diary. It didn't work for me. I was getting so drunk I couldn't fill it in and couldn't even remember what I had drunk.

• Like 1

"One drink is too many, & a thousand is never enough"

Quite true in my case.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

To the drinkers, and the bar-goers, I'm not trying to preach, and you can do whatever you like, it's none of my business, but I'm just curious what you actually get out of it.  I know having a drink or two can make you loosen up and have more fun, and that's great once a week when you're in good company, but there's a difference between that and sitting slouched over a bar every day, with a bunch of other 'like-minded' expats, all of whom are almost immune to the effects of alcohol.  All that is doing is slowly killing you.

Why don't you try not drinking completely for a month.  Find something more beneficial to do.  Fruit juice, smoothies, lots of other flavoured drinks all taste as nice/nicer than alcohol, really they do.  I hear a lot of people say after a hard day there's nothing better than having a cold beer.  Well there are, alternatives are just as refreshing.  Society is overexposed to alcohol in general and thus ed and almost used as a substitute to water, when it should be seen as a occasional treat.  I think people associate beer with happy times from their past, and thus it remains their go-to drink.

I bet after a month, you will wonder why you drank so much beer before.

I am a drinker and a bar-goer, that is what I do not what I am. I also read books, go to church and exercise regularly. I do not tell other people how they should live their lives although I know plenty who do.

I had a month off it about a year ago, this was my decision not on medical or spiritual advice. It was torture. I reduced the month to four weeks, enough was enough. What bothered me was not missing the big weekly session but not having a can or two with the pad pak ruam at the corner caff once or twice a week. took the edge off it a bit. Virtually never drink at home (rather have a cup of tea) and can't remember the last time there was a beer in the fridge. And going in a pub/bar but not having a beer? Well I have done it plenty of times but it ain't the same.

• Like 2

I can't tell you what makes a normal drinker but can tell you how you can spot one

They don't have to chug down a drink before it is finished if they need to leave

Look at a table when a group leaves and the non empty glasses are those of the normal drinkers in most cases

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my opinion you're normal is you drink a glass of beer or wine to your food , if it daily or a few times per week .  And also in the pub , 2 beers should be enough . 

It can even be healthy with beer . lots of B vitamins in it.

But if you feel the need to drink more beer than water every day  , you have a problem . 

Normal is the wrong word isn't it? Towards the end of his life Richard Burton would 'normally' drink a couple of bottles of vodka a day. Perhaps the right word is moderate, but even that can vary significantly from person to person. A girl I know who is very slight of stature only needs half of lager shandy and she's dancing naked on tables.  

29 minutes ago, balo said:

Edited by Baht Simpson

12 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I can't tell you what makes a normal drinker but can tell you how you can spot one

They don't have to chug down a drink before it is finished if they need to leave

Look at a table when a group leaves and the non empty glasses are those of the normal drinkers in most cases

Those that have a drinking problem are the ones that leave last and drink everyone elses left over drink

3 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

... A girl I know who is very slight of stature only needs half of lager shandy and she's dancing naked on tables.  

Sounds like the perfect date.

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2018 at 9:10 PM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

To the drinkers, and the bar-goers, I'm not trying to preach, and you can do whatever you like, it's none of my business, but I'm just curious what you actually get out of it.  I know having a drink or two can make you loosen up and have more fun, and that's great once a week when you're in good company, but there's a difference between that and sitting slouched over a bar every day, with a bunch of other 'like-minded' expats, all of whom are almost immune to the effects of alcohol.  All that is doing is slowly killing you.

Why don't you try not drinking completely for a month.  Find something more beneficial to do.  Fruit juice, smoothies, lots of other flavoured drinks all taste as nice/nicer than alcohol, really they do.  I hear a lot of people say after a hard day there's nothing better than having a cold beer.  Well there are, alternatives are just as refreshing.  Society is overexposed to alcohol in general and thus it is normalised and almost used as a substitute to water, when it should be seen as a occasional treat.  I think people associate beer with happy times from their past, and thus it remains their go-to drink.

I bet after a month, you will wonder why you drank so much beer before.

Somehow the thought of a bunch of people sitting around the bar drinking smoothies seems a bit strange.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2016 at 4:24 PM, francofunghi said:

Normal drinker is the one who never drinks )

A normal drinker is one who can drink a glass of wine/beer and be satisfied at that.  The problem is I've never met him yet!

• Haha 2

On 1/30/2018 at 10:10 PM, mommysboy said:

A normal drinker is one who can drink a glass of wine/beer and be satisfied at that.  The problem is I've never met him yet!

I guess it's unlikely we'll ever meet but I do typically drink one or two beers a week, and that seems fine to me.  I put in my time with drinking lots more when I was younger and somehow just moved away from it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, honu said:

I guess it's unlikely we'll ever meet but I do typically drink one or two beers a week, and that seems fine to me.  I put in my time with drinking lots more when I was younger and somehow just moved away from it.

Me too.  I just chucked it completely.  I dont miss it one jot.

On 1/30/2018 at 9:47 PM, leddie said:

Somehow the thought of a bunch of people sitting around the bar drinking smoothies seems a bit strange.

I think it would be an interesting business idea to open a bar , that looks like a bar serving only alcohol free drinks.  Cocktails without alcohol etc. Big signs outside to tell everyone to have fun and stay sober.

And I want some great music to dance to . Everyone in party mode without alcohol , that would be great . 

Edited by balo

36 minutes ago, balo said:

I think it would be an interesting business idea to open a bar , that looks like a bar serving only alcohol free drinks.  Cocktails without alcohol etc. Big signs outside to tell everyone to have fun and stay sober.

And I want some great music to dance to . Everyone in party mode without alcohol , that would be great . 

With girls who aren't really girls?