Growing Bamboo by the ocean

My house is by the ocean and gets the salty air.  I have a sister-in-law who lives about two k's from the beach.  I brought two bamboo plants and planted one at my place and one in our plantation by Sister-in-laws.  The one at our place would not grown and the one at the plantation did well.  What are the experiences with growing

bamboo by the ocean.  Research indicates that some bamboo's don't have a problem.

Concentrated salty air conditions can cause drying and burning of leaf tips and leaf margins, but there are multiple factors to consider. The soil and nutrient availability may be different in the two locations. Are you close enough to the beach where your soil may be primarily sand? If so you will need to do some serious soil improvements. There may be more prevalent windy conditions near the beach, which would cause more rapid loss of plant and soil moisture. Is the sun/shade exposure the same in both locations? Are you watering adequately? Have you provided soil organic matter and mulched the soil surface to help retain soil moisture?

Look around your area near the beach and see if other residents are growing bamboo successfully. If you see some thriving, ask about what species and growing conditions they have used.

Ask Mr Bamboo. Greg (a frequent long stay visitor to Thailand) may give you some tips on available species that are more tolerant of your seaside conditions. http://mrbamboo.com.au/

Archived