Am I liable for my wife's debts?

thaibeachlovers

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.

As I am now divorced, and beyond such proceedings ( my wife gave me a quicky divorce and asked for nothing more than not having to repay the loans I had made her already, so it did cost me a substantial amount of money ) as far as I am concerned, this thread is :mfr_closed1:

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 0:56 PM, bwpage3 said:

One of the craziest things about Thailand is farang's can move to Thailand, have their choice of 30,000,000 million women and still end up getting divorced.

Isn't that the craziest thing ever? Why do you suppose that is?

What is the common denominator for all these guys getting divorced in Thailand?

On the other hand there are many that made the right choice out of 30,000,000 and stay married forever.

So far after 16 years of observation i can say that most of the time it was for the money and once they secured a house, car, land, buffalos and of course gold that they didnt need the foreigner interfering with what they wanted to do while the ones who remain married probably do what the hell they want or cant recognise how much money is 'enough' before pulling the plug on the sucker. Im sure some stay with a farang out of true love........ maybe both of them are reading my reply?

On 23/09/2016 at 6:40 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

In the end I didn't get to play, but I still had to pay.

There is no point telling people not to get married- the little head rules.

What we can do is advise farangs how to protect themselves in the event of it going south.

I could have done with some advice before getting married, like NEVER LIVE ANYWHERE THE FAMILY CAN VISIT. Not for that, I'd probably still be happy.

Speak for yourself.Even if the little head rules,you can just have a village marrige and everybody is happy.Don't sign that bit of paper,pretty simple really.

On 24/09/2016 at 3:34 AM, hawker9000 said:

That may be the way it works where you're from, but the elephant in the room here is that different places around the world do deal with this differently.  In Thailand and as a practical matter, I think it matters whether the source of the borrowed/financed money was legitimate or not more than what the money was used for or whether or not "both spouses signed".  If legitimate, then much depends on what legal resources the lender or merchant is willing to throw at you to recoup the money it's owed (plus interest, plus charges - whatever was in the agreement, which you probably never saw and is likely in Thai).  And in most cases, as a foreigner, you're generally going to find yourself disadvantaged in the Thai legal system if it comes to that unless you have contacts or can afford an exceptionally good lawyer.   If the money came from a NON-"legitimate" lender (e.g, "mafia" or other "informal" source), THEN I think you potentially have even bigger problems as their recovery methods will tend to be more "traditional" (and at least potentially less gentle...).

NOT good to find yourself married to a woman who would do this.  But if you do and a situation like this presents itself (i.e., the creditor is coming to you for payment), it's probably best NOT to just assume you're immune and ignore their demands.

Just say can you wait til next week then bolt.Take the dog but leave the wife to clean up the mess.Change sim and banks.

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

If she is a bad wife leave her and move. If you want a divorce give her 10,000 baht after she signs the paper. If she gambles and

incurs debts get out of dodge and never return. Plenty  more apples in the tree and some aren't rotten.

There is so much wrong with that theory, but I'll give you just one situation that applies to me. As I am married, I am on the married rate of pension. To get the single rate of pension, which is a substantial amount more than the married rate I have to prove I am separated/ divorced. If I just ran away, she is still married to me and I don't get the full pension.

It's not always just about bonking a different person.

4 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Your not the only one on this forum.It is a warning to the newbies.

...who will never ever listen because they know THEIR lady is "different" and their relationship is blessed and nothing like this will ever happen to them.  Human nature.  They arrive in country with western values & expectations along with romanticized visions of an idyllic existence based on 50yo stories of the way things were, and, well, it just takes a while to lose the rose tints (some never do...).   Unfortunately reality seems to tend towards a post-matrimonial timetable. 

Archived