Toyota Fortuner driving modes

PattayaBoy

Hi, just got New Fortuner TRD

I know I should not drive 4WD on dry normal roads.

How about rain

Heavy rain

And flood on asphalts roads in towns.

Heres bit of a info

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/2016-toyota-fortuner-technical-analysis-4wd-system-explained/

If any of u understand it let me know.

Its my first 4WD car.

Thanks

The OPs link explains it well: " The Fortuner is a part-time 4WD vehicle which means you have to run it in 2WD on the road, only using 4WD on loose-traction surfaces like dirt, sand and mud."   

The Toyota manual probably says something similar.  

4H or 4L on ashphalt or concrete can cause damage if there is enough grip.  Grip on flooded or wet asphalt or concrete is not predictable so the manufacturers say not to use 4WD.  

20 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

The New Tuna has a New 5 speed box, driven one but just banged it in Drive, our Spivo Tuna was the same year as T.A.s so not sure about new one,never found 4wd much use goin to Big C anyway  :stoner:

I have to agree with you, you don't need 4X4 just going to Big C.

But you have to take into account some of us go to other places than Just B/C.

The other week I had to go to Burma/Mae Sot on the way back through the mountains hit a thunder storm. Water was rushing down the hill's at an alarming pace at time's well over 1" deep. So much so some Noddy cars stopped due to aquaplaning My Tuna with permanent 4x4 just plodded through without a problem.

Not going down the road of how fantastic it was during the floods.

Agree you don't need it most times but there are occasions when it comes in very handy. 

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Can't remember if I engaged anything on the Spivo ,but the Mitsu had many tings to do to engage but never did,I think it was rear only for everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Spivo 3lt as we know it was first produced in 2009 it had permanent 4x4, anything prior to that was a miss mash of Buddha knows what including it's crap brakes. Tip. Anyone buying an old used Spivo/Fortuner don't buy unless it's had the brake upgrade.

The only thing you could engage on the old 2009+ one was the H/HL/LL gearbox.

Has been changed to the new set up on the 2016 model. 

The new set up doesn't have a H/HL/LL gear stick. But could be electric???

N/B. Have only used the HL/LL twice in the 7 years I have had it. First time was in muddy conditions when the standard H set up wouldn't cope, and the second was to tow two Noddy cars out of a field.

Note to self don't go to watch off road M/C racing when there's rain about.

1 hour ago, transam said:

I have never had a problem with pre 2009 stopping power. Yes they may of upgraded the brakes for less pedal pressure, l don't know. Have they increased the diameter of the discs, or fitted bigger pad calipers...?

You drive a Vigo my post was about Fortuners.

The early ones had small brakes for a big 7 seat lump. You had to stand on them to make it stop.

I think it was in  2007/8 they sorted it, fitted bigger rotors/discs, bigger calipers, servo, also bigger drums on rear.

Even after they had done that you could still get brake fade when loaded going through the mountains.

The new style drums on the 2009+ ones by the way ware out very quick you'll be lucky to get 50th KM out of them before the leading edge is a goner driving in places like BKK more than likely less. Failing to change same as needed will require having to have the drums skimmed or replaced.

The Vigo seemed to last forever well my one did still like new at 70th Km when I sold it.

The new 2016 model has bigger drums so they might have cured that.

New Spivo is now fitted with rear discs. Like all the export Fortuners have. Why they didn't fit same on all the cheaper !!! models Buddha only know. Toyota Thailand trying to save monies???

31 minutes ago, PattayaBoy said:

TRD got disc breaks front and back. They sharp.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Spivo/Sportivo Is the TRD one I did mention that in my post.

What I cant understand is why all the other models only have crap drums on the rear.

Thank Buddha "they sharp" because the drum disc set up most certainly are not.

One of the reasons I have changed my 7 year old Spivo brake's to disc's all round including 36cm with large calipers on the front twin caliper on the rear. Albeit be at a cost but at least it stops on a pin now.

Archived