Why do we have contracts?

angryajarn

As the title says why do we have contracts?

What are they worth? The answer is nothing....absolutely nothing.

The foreign teachers all signed new contracts a few days ago and today we had our annual trip to the immigration department. While the visas were being processed one of us noticed that the front page of each contract (with the working conditions on) had been removed and replaced with a new page with different (worse) working conditions. This had been done without informing us.

So... why do we bother to have contracts?  It seems that the employer can chop and change as much as they like.

The working conditions can be changed any time by a school. The question is whether or not you, the teachers, are willing to do anything about it. The only thing that would worry me is whether my vacation time or my salary have been changed. 

Moreover, this is why you are supposed to have a copy of your contract as you have signed it, and every page must be signed. Did they have you sign the first page that you say has been changed?

I wouldn't worry about it unless they change your pay and your off time. Been here more than 12 years and I have seen schools add periods on a regular basis. 

Also, I had a discrepancy with a school once and had I not had a contract I would not have gotten a 2 month paid settlement.

8 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I always sign then initial every page. Then I myself photocopy every page before I leave the office never had a problem nothing has ever been changed.

Has anyone in your group!! Challenged this ???.

Why would you sign and initial each page - either or.

At the Labour Dept., the woman told me that my application says that the contract would end on the 16th February 2017. <deleted>?! Oh, someone wants to grab the "saved salary". :rolleyes:

The contract is all in Thai, which I can't read. 

It's your choice. Wonna work - or be right?

They want foreigners who smile, not folks quo object to unfair contract terms etc. 

All the negative experiences they ever had with "farangs" gets memorized and ads to the baggage of prejudice. 

4 hours ago, onlycw said:

At the Labour Dept., the woman told me that my application says that the contract would end on the 16th February 2017. <deleted>?! Oh, someone wants to grab the "saved salary". :rolleyes:

They want foreigners who smile, not folks quo object to unfair contract terms etc. 

All the negative experiences they ever had with "farangs" gets memorized and ads to the baggage of prejudice. 

Meaning that your WP and extension of stay end on that day too.

What date was agreed on if I may ask?

The more better to  mess things up on you as you know.. actually, protect yourself, more established program have this down and you get both a copy in English and Thai.

Cheers Mates..

Why do we allow them to do this .... is the follow up question.

11 hours ago, onlycw said:

Till the end of February.

Why not March or even April? Mmm, cui bono? Someone will grab the saved salary!

I'd never sign such a contract. That should be discussed in the interview and if they offer such a contract just say no. 

If all/ more foreigners would do that, they will change the contract. What will you do on February 16th? There aren't jobs available and your visa's gone as well.

You're asking why not March, or April on this forum. That would have been a question for your employer.

Even our out in the sticks school offers 12 months contracts, all holidays paid. Do some legwork next time, please. 

P.S. Your last sentence isn't really fair, because you were the one who agreed that the contract ends in February. 

I've never seen holidays spelled out in a Thai contract with a Government school. Whomever stated this, are you sure?

When I was once asked to do extra duties such as gate duty, home room duty, camps, etc., I asked about a situation where I was hired to wash your car and then you say BTW, clean my house as well....respectfully declined and nothing ever came of it. 

Extra duties and holidays aren't spelled out is my point and the contract means nothing other than you get a VISA and WP. It mustn't be used to enforce work condition demands. I agree with the others as well, February 14th is a strange date. It must be the end of the school year/classes. 

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I've never seen holidays spelled out in a Thai contract with a Government school. Whomever stated this, are you sure?

When I was once asked to do extra duties such as gate duty, home room duty, camps, etc., I asked about a situation where I was hired to wash your car and then you say BTW, clean my house as well....respectfully declined and nothing ever came of it. 

Extra duties and holidays aren't spelled out is my point and the contract means nothing other than you get a VISA and WP. It mustn't be used to enforce work condition demands. I agree with the others as well, February 14th is a strange date. It must be the end of the school year/classes. 

Or an extension of your permission to stay, based on employment.  :-)

Archived