BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheapskatesam

Do Thai people hate Indian food?

I remember once taking a Thai girl to a Indian restaurant on Sukhumvit in BKK because i fancied a curry and i assumed Thai people would also like Indian curry because it's spicy..

Anyway i order loads of food for the both of us and she picked at it and said "cannot eat".. and she ended up munching away at the poppadoms only whilst i had to contend with the whole amount of food! It would have been a good meal for 3 people and i felt i had to eat it all because i'm like that. I dont want that money to go to waste and i feel embarrassed leaving food.

I had to cram down nearly 900bahts and she later on stoped at a noodle stand for 30baht worth of noodles.

I have a plethitude of interesting and funny stories like this one. I will be sharing them in the coming days

They are not all the same person, so I can't definitively answer your question. But from experience I can say that some don't.

Generally Thais don't eat Indian and Muslim food

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

A true Isaanite will not even consider to have a taste, out of principle.

An average Bangkokian may taste half a teaspoon before gagging.

Bangkokian from wealthy family will eat the whole table.

ps. The latter be 25kg heavier than

former ;0) 

My wife eats Indian food and she is from Issan.  She has two fat friends who date Indian men and they both eat Indian food.  

Sharing Thai stereotypes in my experience is the same as telling ethnic jokes and only appeals to a small segment of the population.

1 hour ago, sulasno said:

Thai Muslims? Don't eat Muslim food?  The Michelin big star restaurant in Bangkok is run by owned by an Indian guy.   http://eatatgaggan.com

My Thai wife loves Indian curry so much that we usually have it three or four times a week. She prefers milder curries and I prefer hot ones. Her cousin came over and tried a vindaloo which she enjoyed but said it wasn't hot enough, wow. The aunties (older generation) wouldn't even try.

1 hour ago, sulasno said:

Rubbish -  khao mok gai, rotis etc are widely eaten.

I don't believe the OP spent B900 on a meal. 

I have come to the conclusion, that the reason many Thai's don't like Indian food, is because there is no fish sauce!!! ;)

They both do curries but Indian curries are 'wrong'.

Yes, Thai people have told me that. :stoner:

10 years ago you couldn't get Thais to eat Japanese.. Now there are sushi places everywhere.

The younger generation are more open to experimentation. They travel more and have social media to present new ideas. Of course there will always be a more backward and less open to change element in any society. Here it's girls/guys from bahn nork unwilling to try the unfamiliar. No different to Brits unwilling to try "nasty foreign food" on their first package holiday back in the 50's

Or the guys on here who live on Spam, Toast and Frey Bentos pies because they don't like Thai food...  

10 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

10 years ago you couldn't get Thais to eat Japanese.. Now there are sushi places everywhere.

The younger generation are more open to experimentation. They travel more and have social media to present new ideas. Of course there will always be a more backward and less open to change element in any society. Here it's girls/guys from bahn nork unwilling to try the unfamiliar. No different to Brits unwilling to try "nasty foreign food" on their first package holiday back in the 50's

Or the guys on here who live on Spam, Toast and Frey Bentos pies because they don't like Thai food...  

Really? I think Japanese food was already popular with Thai people 10 years ago. There is something about Indian food and Thais. Just ask a bunch of random Thais. You will definitely get comments alluding to racial stereotypes ... the phrase SMELLS BAD will come up you can bet your curry house on it. 

Japanese are seen as racial cousins by Thais.

Indians aren't. 

Thailand is a nation that is very and unapologetically up front with racial identity linked to nationalism. 

"I have a plethitude of interesting and funny stories like this one. I will be sharing them in the coming days"

Thanks for the warning!