Best places to get single entry tourist visa around Thailand?

Unfortunately we are no longer able to get a METV in MIAMI! So now i have to go about my days and think about doing visa runs every 3 months!!

As an American where is the best place to travel to get a single entry tourist visa? I know malaysia i don't need a visa to enter as well as hong kong, although i don't know how the Thai Consulates are in that country.

I've been to Laos, Vientienne and that was pretty damn busy. The next place i go i would like to explore the area around it

thanks everyone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, londoedan said:

Consider Denpasar Bali - nice place to spend a few days and the Consulate there is rarely busy (in 4 visits, I've seen 2 other people).

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

If you want to apply in Malaysia the best place is the Consulate in Penang. They don't require flight/hotel bookings etc. You can also use an agent (not expensive) if you don't want to spend time applying yourself. 

@londoedan - fantastic, thanks for the recommendation. Do they require flight/hotel booking?

@elviajero - Thanks for the recommendation , i was originally planning to go to penang, and its definite that i need a thai consulate that doesnt require a flight/hotel booking!

thanks guys

• Like 1

10 hours ago, riorobc023 said:

Unfortunately we are no longer able to get a METV in MIAMI! So now i have to go about my days and think about doing visa runs every 3 months!!

You could apply by mail to the embassy in Washington DC. Send application by express mail with a prepaid express mail envelope for the return.

5 hours ago, riorobc023 said:

Are there many other places alike penang/vientianne that don't ask for flights/bookings etc ?

Savannakhet Laos or Hong Kong perhaps.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply by mail to the embassy in Washington DC. Send application by express mail with a prepaid express mail envelope for the return.

Savannakhet Laos or Hong Kong perhaps.

good to know, passport is already in the process of coming back to my house.

next time i'll have to do that! thanks for the advice Joe.

i'il have to get in about 6 months

Kota Bharu, Penang  ( use an agent)  in Malaysia ...nothing needed other than a photo

Yangon

Anywhere in Laos

Phnom Pehn  ( use an agent)  $50 2 nights or $65 next day and u can get 3 in a row ....nothing needed other than a photo

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Vientiane, Savannakhet, Penang, Kota Baru, Hong Kong, Yangon (SETV next day with just photo and money). Phnom Penh with an agent is OK, but takes longer. Most (all) locations will limit the number they will issue to the same applicant, though changing your passport will often reset their count, as they usually only look at your passport and do not use their system to check back (seemingly inconvenient).

• Like 1

HCMC, (Saigon) Vietnam was fast, efficient and no problem. Cheap flights when booked

in advance. 2,300 baht all in when I did the trip last May. Vietnam is cheap and interesting.

Lots of reasonable options. Try them all. :smile:

7 minutes ago, Ulic said:

HCMC, (Saigon) Vietnam was fast, efficient and no problem. Cheap flights when booked

in advance. 2,300 baht all in when I did the trip last May. Vietnam is cheap and interesting.

Lots of reasonable options. Try them all. :smile:

Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are nice options at quiet consulates, and have the standard next day processing. However, they now have extra requirements (flights in and out of Thailand and, possibly, financial proof) that the locations I listed do not impose.

10 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Kota Bharu, Penang  ( use an agent)  in Malaysia ...nothing needed other than a photo

Yangon

Anywhere in Laos

Phnom Pehn  ( use an agent)  $50 2 nights or $65 next day and u can get 3 in a row ....nothing needed other than a photo

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

Vientiane, Savannakhet, Penang, Kota Baru, Hong Kong, Yangon (SETV next day with just photo and money). Phnom Penh with an agent is OK, but takes longer. Most (all) locations will limit the number they will issue to the same applicant, though changing your passport will often reset their count, as they usually only look at your passport and do not use their system to check back (seemingly inconvenient).

@phuketrichard Awesome thanks for your response! Why do you recommend using an agent as opposed to not?

@BritTim Good to know thanks for that tid bit .

On 9/23/2016 at 7:22 AM, elviajero said:

If you want to apply in Malaysia the best place is the Consulate in Penang.

Also great food options in Penang, including some world class Indian food. Penang use be one of two locations nearby to get any visa, the other being Kota Baru.  Not sure if Penang retains the charm of yesteryear, but reports do indicate the food is still very good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riorobc023 said:

@phuketrichard Awesome thanks for your response! Why do you recommend using an agent as opposed to not?

@BritTim Good to know thanks for that tid bit .

It is best to use an agent in Penang as (i) the consulate is inconveniently located and two return taxi fares costs more than am agent; and (ii) you can and it saves queuing in the hot sun.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, riorobc023 said:

Thank you once again to you both! Will keep kota baru in mind as well.

@britTim could you recommend an agent / agency to use to help me out for this process? thanks! i'm not too keen in waiting out in the hot sun, its worse on me then others I'm sure of it ha

Personally, I stay in the Chulia Mansion Hotel (highly recommended) and use their recommended agent (30 MYR) who they will ask to come by the hotel if you like (or it is about a 5 minute walk to their premises). I do not the agent's address in front of me right now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy in DC and the official consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angles.

I've had good luck with the consulate service in Los Angeles.

Was missing a bank document with last visa app.  

Their visa section guy (Bernard Rhein) emailed me.  

I replied next day with the document.  

Two hours later got a reply informing me it was approved and scheduled for mail-out next day.

5 hours ago, craftyone said:

Two hours later got a reply informing me it was approved and scheduled for mail-out next day.

not really nearby Thailand LOL

On September 24, 2016 at 4:34 PM, craftyone said:

Nice. Its unfortunate because even though i live about 30 minutes away from miami, i might have to consider DC next time. . When i did do METV in Miami not long ago they processed it in two days and sent it out, and got it the next day.

Its taking longer this time because i applied on a thursday and the consulate is closed on saturday/sunday. So i should have it soon

23 minutes ago, torrow said:

What's the best travel options for Kota Bharu please?

Probably best is to fly on Air Asia via Kuala Lumpur. It is also possible to take the train to the Thailand Malaysia border at  Sungai Kolok, about an hour from Kota Bahru. The train is a looong trip. Your embassy probably also advises against it, because it goes through the restive Southern provinces.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

Probably best is to fly on Air Asia via Kuala Lumpur. It is also possible to take the train to the Thailand Malaysia border at  Sungai Kolok, about an hour from Kota Baru. The train is a looong trip.

Is there a bus or van from Hat Yai?

On 9/27/2016 at 6:39 PM, torrow said:

Is there a bus or van from Hat Yai?

Yes. Less comfortable and more expensive than the train, but an option. Mostly, I would only take the bus if flying to Hat Yai and the timing was all wrong for the train.

• Like 1