Wife has no birth certificate.Problem?

Khon Kaen Dave

Hi one and all,It would seem that my wife has no birth certificate,and i was wondering if any of the posters here are knowledgeable about such things.
I always knew that my wife's mother was really her aunt.My wife's mum died a few days after she was born,and very soon after,her dad found a new girly and fled the scene.Mrs Kaen was born at home with only the village witch doctor and no nurse present.

The mums sister took it upon herself to raise all 4 girls for which i have to admire her,even though she regards me as the foreign Devil who has defiled her daughter. And stares at me with a malevolent,baleful,eye,when i cough due to her lighting up the pot BBQ with rubber strips which she crouches over like some sort of demon from the 7th circle of Hell.

It only came about,the other day,when i asked Mrs Kaen,where she was born.She pointed to a house and said "over there" i then asked her if her 'mother' had registered her.Everything went silent,rather like the silence in between the stop of the drum roll, and the guillotine blade dropping.

Then the answer was a very quiet 'no'.She obviously has an ID card with DOB and number and name,but i was wondering if there is anyway of getting a birth certificate for her at this time if life.She is 45.Where would i start? the Amphur maybe,i do not know.What other information would i have to have,i do not know that either.Under what circumstances would she need such a thing?

Any help would be greatly accepted,because it seems the old girl is now convinced that i wish to whisk her daughter back to the UK,and her money will ceaseand is throwing fits and yak yaking my wife to her wits end.

Thanx again

KKD

Her birth was registered at the Amphoe or she would not have a ID card or house book registry. That means a birth certificate was also done but was probably lost or misplaced. It should be possible to get a copy of it at the Amphoe where her birth was registered.

At the time of the application of her Belgian nationality my Thai wife had a house registration book, ID card, and passport but no birth certificate.
However, the local Amphur could produce a statement based on her documents and her statement supported by two reliable witnesses.
In her case the village chief and a teacher at the local primary school acted as witnesses.

15 hours ago, spieke said:

At the time of the application of her Belgian nationality my Thai wife had a house registration book, ID card, and passport but no birth certificate.
However, the local Amphur could produce a statement based on her documents and her statement supported by two reliable witnesses.
In her case the village chief and a teacher at the local primary school acted as witnesses.

totally agree : Never make a "copy" of the bith certificate. you get one and only one when registered in the amphur. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2016 at 3:28 PM, spieke said:

This is how my wife proved birth as well for her US visas, a statement from amphur based on her documents and her statement supported by two reliable witnesses.

On 10/23/2016 at 0:29 PM, avvocato said:

This is how my wife proved birth as well for her US visas, a statement from amphur based on her documents and her statement supported by two reliable witnesses.

Older family female friend in similar situation. My Thai son wanted to take her to Singapore for a few days to help with his little kids. She had an ID card but no passport and no birth certificate but she had a bag of other documents.

We had never noticed that her ID card has xx  xx  xxxx in the birth date area.

My son went with her to a passport office in Bangkok. There was no problem, all processed quickly and a few days later she had a new shiny Thai passport with xx  xx  xxxx for the date of birth.

They realized that the real test was whether the Singapore immigration authorities would accept this. They did without question, she's also traveled to the USA on same passport, no problems with her 'visa in advance' processing in Bkk and no problems on arrival in US. 

Why does she need a replacement birth certificate? She has a Thai ID card and a housebook entry. She can get a Thai passport with just her ID card. That's all she needs unless a country outside Thailand needs the birth certificate for something.

Why rock the boat?

Since she has a Thai ID card she should be able to get a birth certificate/registration at the amphoe she was born in.  But the amphoe officials will probably need to dig through their paper records to find the birth registration.  It's more of registration than a certificate.  Your situation is not unique in the least....in fact back in the sixties and early seventies when around 50, 000 American troops were stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war and of course marrying lots of Thais to take them back to the U.S. those troops had to get a copy of the Thai wife's birth registration at the amphoe she was born in and then have it validated/translated....it was an common occurrence.   Not a hard process...I know as I did it.   And even today, foreigners of every nationality today run up against the same in needing their future Thai spouse to get a copy of their birth registration/certificate from the amphoe they were born in.   And don't be surprised if the father/mother/auntie/whatever relative of the future spouse don't really have a clue how to get a birth registration/certificate because once they got their Thai ID card many years ago the need for a birth certificate to do most anything in Thailand went away.

But many will not have an actual birth certificate as often no formal registration was ever made - and for those that were made records have often been destroyed as results of vermin and fires as they were kept locally (often in wooden school houses) in about the same conditions families kept them.  For many that will mean alternative documentation/witness type paperwork will be required.

amphoe of her home town.

about 15 mins.. they print it out.. and stamp on it.. pay a very small fee...

done.. i was super impressed they had actually scanned and stored all old paper records!

not too shabby afterall.

No problems at all to get the documents needed just go to the Amphur and get the correct documents with two people of the village. with the documents provided by the Amphur got all the other documents, visas and went abroad and back several times without any problems.

You can see on the ID card the citizenship number. If it starts with 1 the birth registration was done within 2 weeks and if with 3 is was done later (the time mentioned is done by head)

23 hours ago, blackcab said:

Why does she need a replacement birth certificate? She has a Thai ID card and a housebook entry. She can get a Thai passport with just her ID card. That's all she needs unless a country outside Thailand needs the birth certificate for something.

Why rock the boat?

We'll probably be re-locating to live in Scotland at some point in the next few months.

If I die before my wife, she will get a widow's pension from my ex-employer. They have told me that they will require her birth certificate (and a certified English translation) and our marriage certificate, again with an English translation. I obtained an English translation  of our marriage certificate from the local ampeur at Banglamung (we were actually married at the ampeur in Ban Chang, where some of my in-laws stay). 

Alan

8 minutes ago, Eneukman said:

We'll probably be re-locating to live in Scotland at some point in the next few months.

If I die before my wife, she will get a widow's pension from my ex-employer. They have told me that they will require her birth certificate (and a certified English translation) and our marriage certificate, again with an English translation. I obtained an English translation  of our marriage certificate from the local ampeur at Banglamung (we were actually married at the ampeur in Ban Chang, where some of my in-laws stay). 

Alan

My ex-employer's pension scheme told me I only needed my (Lao) wife's passport and our (UK) marriage certificate, for her to get a widow's pension after I die.  I hope they are right as I don't think she ever had a Lao birth certificate!

I started this topic way back in september.I cant believe its still live.The lord and master of all law things thai Ubon Joe,sorted it all out for me within 30 mins of posting.Thanks again Joe.

But i hope that anyone else with a similar problem finds this topic helpful.

When i showed Mrs Kaen that it was still being posted,she said "oh Dave,you  gone virus"

Archived