All smiles once again as Aussie and 500K are reunited thanks to Bangkok cabbie

rooster59

All smiles once again as Aussie and 500K are reunited thanks to Bangkok cabbie

news26237_855.jpg

Image: Krobkruakao

BANGKOK:-- It was all smiles at Suvarnabhumi airport for the second time this week as an Australian businessman was reunited with more than 500,000 baht he had dropped in a cab.

David Collinson had brought the money from Australia to give to his Thai family. He took a cab from the airport to Mor Chit but didn't realize he had dropped the brown envelope until he got back to his Thai wife. There was 20,000 dollars in Australian currency in the dropped envelope.

"I never thought I would get it back", he said, "as he thanked driver Wimon Triphat who drove back to the airport after being contacted by officials there. He found the package on the floor under a seat at the back.

David gave Wimon a reward and, speaking though his wife as an interpreter,said that he hoped he could use this honest man's taxi service in the future.

Earlier in the week a UK woman got a considerable sum of money back from another honest cabbie who worked the airport routes.

Source: Krobkruakao

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-25

Call me skeptical,  but far too many of these stories, almost as though they are fake, just why would a cabby look under a seat, I have never seen a follow up comment from any of these tourists, thanking the cabby, airport worker etc maybe they are one of the expats that have sold their souls to the devil.... TAT.

1 minute ago, Rorri said:

Call me skeptical,  but far too many of these stories, almost as though they are fake, just why would a cabby look under a seat, I have never seen a follow up comment from any of these tourists, thanking the cabby, airport worker etc maybe they are one of the expats that have sold their souls to the devil.... TAT.

Wimon Triphat who drove back to the airport after being contacted by officials there.

Yeah, right, some people are honest ,especially Thais.

1 minute ago, Rorri said:

Agree with you 100%.

Most likely a made up story by Tat.

We are seeing these reports almost daily about large amounts of cash being left in taxis.

12 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Agree with you 100%.

Most likely a made up story by Tat.

We are seeing these reports almost daily about large amounts of cash being left in taxis.

If it is true then I wonder what proportion of the envelopes of cash so carelessly left on the back seat of assorted cabs are returned?

Like you, I think that it is made up.

21 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Well then, "Skeptical", given the amount of cash that reports indicate seem to be left by farangs in cabs, if I drove an airport taxi I would look under the seat after every fare!!

23 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Wimon Triphat who drove back to the airport after being contacted by officials there.

Yeah, right, some people are honest ,especially Thais.

Call me skeptical,  but far too many of these stories, almost as though they are fake, just why would a cabby look under a seat, I have never seen a follow up comment from any of these tourists, thanking the cabby, airport worker etc maybe they are one of the expats that have 

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well then, "Skeptical", given the amount of cash that reports indicate seem to be left by farangs in cabs, if I drove an airport taxi I would look under the seat after every fare!!

Really, well I'm  glad you would, but I suggest very few, if any, actually do check, in fact every one I've seen, doesn't,  too much of a rush to get back for the next fare. I put it to the readers, has anyone seen a cabby check the back seat/floor?

The story said that airport tax officials contacted the driver telling him that an Aussie likely dropped his cash in the cab. that is the only reason he looked and we can only conjecture that if he had cleaned his cab the next day and found the $$$ without notification...what he might have done with it.

5 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Really, well I'm  glad you would, but I suggest very few, if any, actually do check, in fact every one I've seen, doesn't,  too much of a rush to get back for the next fare. I put it to the readers, has anyone seen a cabby check the back seat/floor?

No

Also they are not that that trustworthy, when my wallet dropped out in the back of a cab with 10.000 baht in it, credit cards, driving licence etc in it, i didn't get that back.  Even though we were on the phone to the taxi companies and police with in 15 mins max

Ahm...I have some questions:

- does Thailand have the most stupid bunch of idiots, traveling here? Every month -and quiet regularly- some numbnut "forgets" a bag of jewlery, a sack of cash or a very expensive electronic device in a taxi! Mostly stacks of cash!

- does Thailand have the most honest taxi- drivers in the world, who ALWAYS return this stuff to the idiots?

...or why is it, that having lived in another country for over 40 years, I have not heard of as many of these cases in that whole time, than I hear about in Thailand on a regular basis?

Especially after 2 or 3 horrificly negative things happening here, especially to foreigners or tourists!

Makes one wonder...:coffee1:

I am no fan of taxi drivers (in BKK) but I once took a taxi from the airport for the 145 kms journey to my home.  Fatigue & jet-lag resulted in my leaving some hand luggage in the cab.  I had not taken his number & had no way of contacting him.

An hour later he returned with everything intact including my camera.

1 hour ago, starky said:

BS story or he is a complete idiot. Who misplaces 20 k. Who are all these clowns who are so careless with their money. Honestly don't deserve to get it back IMHO.

Right - who carries that much money in cash? Bank transfers are so easy these days, and can be done online.

4 hours ago, Rorri said:

It's a little-known fact that TAT has a special, secret division of semi-professional actors who play the roles of taxi drivers and money-losing passengers. These actors are wheeled out from time to time, whenever too much negative news has been circulating and tarnishing the image of Thailand ...

I joke, of course. But - one can't help wondering!

4 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Thais are very honest people. Not counting the vulture scum that migrate to Pattaya every high season.

The normal Thai has a high degree of morality. Doubt this would happen in other countries very often.

I love Thailand!

I could not agree more with you. I wish and hope that more expatriates feel like us and express their views in public here in Thailand and abroad.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I am no fan of taxi drivers (in BKK) but I once took a taxi from the airport for the 145 kms journey to my home.  Fatigue & jet-lag resulted in my leaving some hand luggage in the cab.  I had not taken his number & had no way of contacting him.

An hour later he returned with everything intact including my camera.

This just confirms Johnies views -see above and mine -see below!

5 hours ago, Rorri said:

Cabbies often check under their seats to ensure their weapons are secure and ready for quick access in times of need.

Perhaps an unpopular viewpoints, but my personal experience is that on the overwhelming percentage of my taxi trips, the ride is "issue" or "drama" free.. I get to where I want to go, timely, (reasonably) safely and with only the meter rate applied. Now, yes, I have had "meter not working" drivers- but again, when I look at my own experiences, this would represent a very, very small percentage of trips (but I do agree that the number should be zero)
As far as left on taxi items, I've done that only once, several years back - and the driver must have seen/heard my house key chain in the back seat, because he just circled around the block and ran them into the building (I wasn't aware of this at that point in time) and the desk manager gave him B200 as a "reward"
For me, the overall service standard has moved up.. Is it perfect? No, far from such.. But if I were to frame it as a percentage question, for me, it would be somewhere in the upper 90's in terms of satisfactory.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just look around in the street and you will see motorbikes parked festooned with shopping, helmets, etc. People don't expect to lose their stuff because they know people here are generally honest. In Europe on the other hand...In London I used a bicycle. I always had to lock it up even when parking for a short while, usually with 2 chains, 1 securing the front wheel to the frame and one securing the back wheel and the saddle, and I had to remove anything removable eg speedometers, water bottles, saddlebags. Even so I had about 10 bikes stolen, at least 1 saddle, 2 chains (but they left the bike), and a set of handlebar grips. In Chiang Mai I don't need to bother with all this. I don't find these positive stories unbelievable at all. People often are forgetful and careless.

5 hours ago, Rorri said:

"Wimon Triphat who drove back to the airport after being contacted by officials there.

Let's do some math here. How like is it that one loses/ forgets large amount of cash in a cab? 1 of 1,000 carrying cash?

That would mean there are 999 others Carrington 500,000 baht in cash by Taxi? I can't believe that. These stories appear far to often. 

Anyway, if it's real, respect to the cabbie for being honest and not tempted. 

Archived