All smiles once again as Aussie and 500K are reunited thanks to Bangkok cabbie

rooster59

6 hours ago, Rorri said:

Call me skeptical,  but far too many of these stories, almost as though they are fake, just why would a cabby look under a seat, I have never seen a follow up comment from any of these tourists, thanking the cabby, airport worker etc maybe they are one of the expats that have sold their souls to the devil.... TAT.

It does appear a bit fishy. How did the airport officials know who the cab driver was? Did the Aussie guy have photographic memory, that he knew the licence number, plate...

So he left Australia carrying $20,000 AUD.  Did he declare it as you cant take a cent over 10k out.  Did he make a false declaration on his departure card?   Did he declare it on his arrival card in Thailand more than 300k baht? The story is strange, the aussie caught a taxi from the airport to his destination,  the the driver returned the money to him at the airport.  

At the airport you get a piece of paper with the taxi drivers code on it so you can report him if there are problems (also explains that you have to give him a surcharge over the meter price) so I imagine the couple used this to contact the airport taxi staff and call him back. Of course he could of said he hadn't looked after the guy got out and had another ride and the package wasn't there. Hope he got a good reward. In Italy you are due by law 10%.   

What ever happened to the good old fashionable transfer from my Aussie account to X-wings account, and they put it into my Thai account the following day, sometimes the same day. It costs nothing and is much safer.

To think of carrying that amount of money all the ways here to get a better rate Vs losing it............., pass

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

So he left Australia carrying $20,000 AUD.  Did he declare it as you cant take a cent over 10k out.  Did he make a false declaration on his departure card?   Did he declare it on his arrival card in Thailand more than 300k baht? The story is strange, the aussie caught a taxi from the airport to his destination,  the the driver returned the money to him at the airport.  

Correction there mate, you can take more than $10,000 out of Australia at anytime, you just have to declare it on your departure card, they may ask you how much and were did it come from, if they want proof, you should have it on you.

The only reason they do this I am told is to stop money laundering ?

As long as you can back it up, e.g. here are all of my pay slips, the deposits and withdrawal from my bank account, and the reason, e.g. I am building a place in Thailand to retire, you should be fine.

8 hours ago, Rorri said:

Call me skeptical,  but far too many of these stories, almost as though they are fake, just why would a cabby look under a seat, I have never seen a follow up comment from any of these tourists, thanking the cabby, airport worker etc maybe they are one of the expats that have sold their souls to the devil.... TAT.

I'm not sure they're fake, but the PR they receive can be over the top on occasion. 

It could be a new deal by the taxi guy to up his rep 50 fold. Free taxi for improved rep. It's pretty clever the taxi could adorn it all over the shop/web/plastered in taxi It's a bit like how the fake police pretend to be police but hopefully it's for the good reason. Shame to lose that rep once you got it

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Correction there mate, you can take more than $10,000 out of Australia at anytime, you just have to declare it on your departure card, they may ask you how much and were did it come from, if they want proof, you should have it on you.

The only reason they do this I am told is to stop money laundering ?

As long as you can back it up, e.g. here are all of my pay slips, the deposits and withdrawal from my bank account, and the reason, e.g. I am building a place in Thailand to retire, you should be fine.

You just have to declare that you have the cash, not how you came to be in possession of it.

I never find a bag of cash or even 25 satang in back of a taxi :-/

you do indeed need be pretty clueless to lose that sort of money so easily.

He was pretty much throwing it away anyhow ...

I guess must be lot of soft westerners are bringing in cash for their isan darlings lol . dumb as dumb gets ...

I never find a bag of cash or even 25 satang in back of a taxi :-/

you do indeed need be pretty clueless to lose that sort of money so easily.

He was pretty much throwing it away anyhow ...

I guess must be lot of soft westerners are bringing in cash for their isan darlings lol . dumb as dumb gets ...

9 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

It does appear a bit fishy. How did the airport officials know who the cab driver was? Did the Aussie guy have photographic memory, that he knew the licence number, plate...

Because when you take a cab at the airports they give you a ticket with the drivers details on, there is a phone number for just this sort of problem as I'm sure after long flights plenty of people forget things in cabs.

Unless you are one of those people who breaks the rules and doesn't use the official taxi queue system.

Archived