Russian tourist drowns at Karon Beach

webfact

Russian tourist drowns at Karon Beach

Darawan Naknakhon

1474864745_1-org.jpg

Karon Beach, like the rest of Phuket's west coast, has been subjected to heavy surf for the past week. Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Service

PHUKET: -- A Russian tourist on holiday in Phuket with his wife has died after being pulled unconscious from the water at Karon Beach on Saturday (Sept 24).

Roman Yorosov, 43, was pronounced dead on arrival at Patong Hospital after lifeguards recovered him from the dangerous surf near the Naga statute about halfway along the beach, said Capt Weerayuth Thansirisukworakul of the Karon Police.

Capt Weerayuth arrived with fellow police officers and rescue workers after being notified of the incident at about 3:30pm.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-tourist-drowns-at-karon-beach-59240.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-26

15 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

I don,t think it is so much the surf, Karon has one of the worst rips I have ever encountered ! Those people out there are at great risk !

I agree.  I have body surfed in a lot of places and frankly the under tows a Karon were exhausting.  I didn't mind the literally getting bowed over and then standing up again.  I needed the exercise.  I was having fun with it.   But if one were a bit off, and not used to it or kept trying to fight it, the ocean will wear you out.  Add some drinking, being out of shape, and not as young as one might think or remember, then add in some panic and bad things can happen

13 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

....that flag is supposed to deter them....???

....what does it even say....???

....and the billions in tourism revenue.....nothing allocated for lifeguards to patrol the beaches....???

The flag says "Swim here" and these new flags give a pretty good indication of where the lifeguards are focused and where it "should" be safe to swim.

Archived