Briton gets 4,000 baht fine for not staying where he was registered

webfact

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of communist China. Not only do I have to register where I stay, I have to register guests who come and stay with me; a big inconvenience for me and them; and for what? Visas, guest registration, home registration, travel registration, <deleted>, soon they'll want me to register when I go to a go go bar, what's the point in all of this except to create more jobs and red tape and hassle. Indeed, it's another step to moving to my new second home... quite far from Thailand thankfully., and I will take every baht I have - and then some, leaving behind a few unemployed people too.

1 hour ago, Ian1980 said:

Maybe is a silly question:but how they know he was in overstay?Pure causality?

The BiB checked every hotel in a certain area on September 13 and the overstayer was unlucky to be there when they arrived I guess.

Either that or he bought a tourist SIM which immigration now uses to track tourists.

5 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

The system requires one address - so what if you have more than one legitimate accommodation, or even a few, and bounce around between them as and when needed.

The system does not cater for realistic modern working and living situations.

I totally agree and it is a real pain trying to fill out those cards on the plane, particularly when one is shoe horned it to a tiny seat, I always try to get an extra card when they are handing them out so I fill one out before my next flight.

I have always felt they should be replaced with a online registration system which can collect more information and have helpful notes to help complete the form more accurately, also the system could also cater for many languages... 

But I doubt this is for a address given on a arrival card, I think it is more like for giving a false address when doing the 90 day reporting...  I mean has anyone recently been stopped for failing to give a full address on a arrival card?

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I totally agree and it is a real pain trying to fill out those cards on the plane, particularly when one is shoe horned it to a tiny seat, I always try to get an extra card when they are handing them out so I fill one out before my next flight.

I have always felt they should be replaced with a online registration system which can collect more information and have helpful notes to help complete the form more accurately, also the system could also cater for many languages... 

But I doubt this is for a address given on a arrival card, I think it is more like for giving a false address when doing the 90 day reporting...  I mean has anyone recently been stopped for failing to give a full address on a arrival card?

I didn't mention arrival cards.

The point is, the formal registered address, as used in your immigration records and part of, for example, 90 day reporting, ONLY allows for one address.

I stay regularly at more than one address.

So according to the strict interpretation of the system, I am breaking their rules on a weekly/monthly basis, whilst going about my usual completely legal work and non-work living.

2 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

This is bad for Thailand to fine someone like this The publicly will hurt tourism if the media decide to play this one

Why is it bad to fine someone who breaks the law?  It's not clear, but I don't suppose for one moment he was simply staying away from his registered address for a couple of days.  He had most likely moved ages ago and not notified the authorities, as we all know we should.

I honestly do not think this hurts tourism because I believe tourists do not even realise there is a significant expat/immigrant population living permanently in Thailand subject to major laws. Tourists are interested in one thing, having a good time in the short time they are here. Their thinking is not about us, it is about themselves, as it should be. And, I do not think cases like this make the papers or social media around the world. 

2 hours ago, Hooliganzone said:

Many single people come here just on a flight and find a place to stay after they have arrived, so how can you write the name of the place your going to stay on the TM card if you don't know where.:unsure::unsure:

the TM card is not the strictest of all "residence" tools - you might just as well jot down "Grand Hotel BKK" if you don't know better at arrival. BUT: Once you checked into a hotel somewhere downtown it is THEIR (the hotel's) duty to register you with authorities = no worries for the standard tourist

1 hour ago, Ronuk said:

It's not about Thais. It's about foreigners being incapable of complying with the rules. 

Wait and see what is about to develop over the next 12 months for those that fail to comply. Some would say it's about time too.

Maybe thais should set an example first. Clean the backyards first so to speak so these types of rules dont feel so personal, intrusive and just more scams to make cash. Then it would make more sense to me personally. Would be a better place. Has to be some sort of equality.

I think I would be happy to have a Chip injected in me like a dog. Then they could follow me around on their computer, I have nothing to hide and if I was to overstay they could come and collect me.

No forms to fill out, no 90 day reports to make, no fines, easy.

In any civilised country this wouldn't be a news story, it's just one individual committing an minor administrative infraction, and paying a small fine. Who cares. 

No action was ever taken when the government accidentally leaked thousands of foreigners' names, addresses, passport details, occupations, etc. Remember that? Who can blame foreigners for not wanting to give their real address when that kind of thing happens. 

I've been giving immigration a fake address ever since that happened. 

13 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

I didn't mention arrival cards.

The point is, the formal registered address, as used in your immigration records and part of, for example, 90 day reporting, ONLY allows for one address.

I stay regularly at more than one address.

So according to the strict interpretation of the system, I am breaking their rules on a weekly/monthly basis, whilst going about my usual completely legal work and non-work living.

As already stated we do not know the full circumstances of the guy fined 4,000B but maybe the 90 day reporting should be an address to which you could be contacted, either you stay frequently or if you travel as part of ones job an office you communicate with on a regular basis.

45 minutes ago, kannot said:

its about ENFORCEMENT of  rules which should apply to ALL people

Motorbike insurance, helmet  wearing , speeding, sitting in the outside  lane and almost every other  rule you can think of "selectively" enforced...........how about dropping a cigarette  butt? Farang 2000 baht...........Thai...........ignored

Be careful what you wish for.

Good job by the immigration , let the good news continue . Especially those Eastern europeans who think they can live and work here without paying taxes and no permit. 100000 more to catch out there

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

I do not see it as a " constipated rule", I think it only fair that any country can require all persons to register where they live, and if temporary like a hotel or guest house then they should have register.

Wish they would do this in the UK, it would make it more difficult for the illegal immigrants and easier to find wanted people. 

It certainly applies to some, if not all, EU countries.   I lived in the Netherlands for one year, and was told quite firmly that I had to register the address of where I was staying, and any other place I stayed at overnight.

This system was introduced by Germany during the occupation.

why are different stories  into one headline is not understandable. commenting on the head line becomes more difficult.

the logic of the overstayer  by 714 days is  beyond belief. he claims that his passport was damaged, hence he could not eve. but did he make any effort to correct the damage. what crap,

4 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Good Job Immigration fro the 4k THB. Just do everything what is possible to shy away tourists. I think, the best solution could be to to assign to every foreigner an guide, like in North Korea.

that would be denying freedom to  the visitor. but you can enforce change of residence with prior notification and re=registration. north Korea case is extreme and should not be replicated in democracies.

4 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Good Job Immigration fro the 4k THB. Just do everything what is possible to shy away tourists. I think, the best solution could be to to assign to every foreigner an guide, like in North Korea.

This is just so much BS, so much energy being spent on nonsense, it probably cost 40K in lost time to hunt down and prosecute this guy? He sends in his 90 day report and in the meantime moves to a new place "no problem " say he "I'll just put my new address on the next form" "what harm can it do?"  little men, little thoughts? :passifier::wai: 

2 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Evil evil farang! Why stop at ฿4000. Prison time, firing squad, electric chair?

I can not understand the logic of this rule. Absolutely giving the wrong message i think. So infantile and humiliating i think for the country to implement such.

So let me get this right theres a task force that goes door knocking for money. I dont see how this practice would achieve much else.

Maybe they could head out to where i live and fine the illegal loggers, charcoal makers and sellers, petty crims, selling dirt from sorpakor land, drug makers in the jungle, forest land burning, land encroachment, rewriting land titles, etc, etc... Most of those are supposed to be more than ฿4000thb per offense. Have to get your priorities right though i guess. 

Maybe ill be fined. My address is too big to fit on the form so always incomplete.

Yes but it gives the crawlers on here a rosey glow seeing fellow farang drop in the cart and reminds them how clever they are by obeying to the letter every petty little rule and reg.

Bet they were always reporting their classmates at school.

2 minutes ago, TerrylSky said:

We are all criminals. We are all farangs. We are all substandard. We are all capable of going elsewhere, and maybe we should where we are more welcome, respected, and appreciated.

no talk. walk the walk and talk the talk. you have freedom of choice.

2 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Evil evil farang! Why stop at ฿4000. Prison time, firing squad, electric chair?

I dont write nothing new,but what they are caring most in Thailand?Little example:friend,Dutch Nationality,last February,no work permit,overstay 9 months,IO catched him on his duty at work.50.000 thb and free as nothing happen.

12 minutes ago, masuk said:

It certainly applies to some, if not all, EU countries.   I lived in the Netherlands for one year, and was told quite firmly that I had to register the address of where I was staying, and any other place I stayed at overnight.

This system was introduced by Germany during the occupation.

shabash. thailand is not under occupation.

Archived