Australian VISA for Thai girlfriend (first time)

Hi, I have a 31 year old Thai girlfriend that I wish to come to Australia to visit me. I currently doing the application online for the first time (Visitor Visa subclass 600).

What are some useful information that I need to put in? I don't want the application to be rejected. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You get an answer back in 10 business days.

The Main thing The Australian Gov looks for is flight risk, ie: Reasons for the Thai person to return to Thailand, a job, kids, own house etc, A job or income is sometimes hard to show if you girlfriend has a market stall, bar girl etc. No job will usually get rejected.

Also length of relationship with you, photos, emails etc. 

There's a whole subforum here with some useful information.

Visa processing times are on the Immigration website.

1 week for visitor visas.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/visa-processing/visitor-visa-subclass-600

Also I disagree with the advice by Peterw42 about applications usually being rejected because of no employment.

A strong application with a good reason for her to return home will usually be ok.

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You get an answer back in 10 business days.

The Main thing The Australian Gov looks for is flight risk, ie: Reasons for the Thai person to return to Thailand, a job, kids, own house etc, A job or income is sometimes hard to show if you girlfriend has a market stall, bar girl etc. No job will usually get rejected.

Also length of relationship with you, photos, emails etc. 

While the Aussie embassy is make life difficult for an honest people and tourist

to visit OZ, massage parlors, ' herbal massage ' and brothels all over the country

are full of young

and pretty Asian girls " students "   go figure.

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

There's a whole subforum here with some useful information.

Visa processing times are on the Immigration website.

1 week for visitor visas.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/visa-processing/visitor-visa-subclass-600

Also I disagree with the advice by Peterw42 about applications usually being rejected because of no employment.

A strong application with a good reason for her to return home will usually be ok.

I am sure some get approved without a job in Thailand, I know of a couple of friends that have been knocked back for that reason.

What makes for a strong application, reason to return, without a Job ?

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I am sure some get approved without a job in Thailand, I know of a couple of friends that have been knocked back for that reason.

What makes for a strong application, reason to return, without a Job ?

A strong application should include things like family ties, a genuine relationship, previous good travel history etc etc.

Bottom line is, if an applicant gets rejected just because the application doesn't have a job, the application usually

wasn't that strong.

There are literally thousands of Thai people that visit Australia every year. They all haven't got jobs.

Here is a link showing processing times for visa application done online and processed in Thailand.

Although you are applying online, applicant is Thai, living in Thailand,  it will be processed in Thailand. Through VFS.

http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/DIAC_Processing_time.html

Depends on the type of lady the person is

We were in a long term relationship and at the time living as common law husband and wife

My wife had plenty of money in the bank but no proof of this was required. She also has a 

father son and grandchild in Thailand and we had been living together for several years and 

also travelled to other holiday destinations  together and we sent both of our passports in to prove this

and had no problem getting a one year multiple entry visa for my wife

If you met the lady in a bar you can expect problems in getting a visa or a straight out refusal 

Its not hard to work out why

2 hours ago, organicman said:

Lets say I get a 3 months visa for my Thai girlfriend. Up to how long can I start the visa? For example, can I have her come to Australia in 2 years to start the 3 month visa?

If you get a visa its dated from when you apply for it

I doubt you can apply for a visa to be valid in 2 years time she may not qualify for a visa in 2 years time even if she does now 

3 hours ago, organicman said:

Lets say I get a 3 months visa for my Thai girlfriend. Up to how long can I start the visa? For example, can I have her come to Australia in 2 years to start the 3 month visa?

It's usually good for 12 months from the date of application and will be single or multiple entry. 

So to apply today and she get's the visa, she would need to enter the country at some time within the next 12 months. She would then be permitted to stay for up to 3 months. 

I just looked at one of my wife's first visas: 

granted on 25/11/11

must enter before 19/08/12

(we applied for that one in the August. it was a 3rd visa in as many years, and multi-entry)

6 hours ago, organicman said:

Lets say I get a 3 months visa fgfy Thai girlfriend. Up to how l ong can I start the? For example, can I have her  come to Australia in 2 years to start the 3 month visa?

Not wish to be rude but some of you questions are very well covered in au embassy. Also covered very extensively in thaVisa u Should read all. Also i have directed many to site "Australian visa for thai partner". The advice is excellent. You not mention how long you know thai gf. Application undr 6 month doubtful.

7 hours ago, organicman said:

When you apply for the visa, the application form asks when do you intend to travel. The use by date(enter) will be around the date you nominate. 

On 9/27/2016 at 8:37 PM, jacksam said:

Not wish to be rude but some of you questions are very well covered in au embassy. Also covered very extensively in thaVisa u Should read all. Also i have directed many to site "Australian visa for thai partner". The advice is excellent. You not mention how long you know thai gf. Application undr 6 month doubtful.

So i shouldn't apply for 3 months? Should I apply for 12 months instead and have her only come over for 3 months cause that's what i'm proposing. I should be back in Thailand in 4-5 months.

If it is her first visa for AU and it is granted, then  most likely be a single entry 3 month stay. Subsequent visas, if she applies again would most likely be 12 month multiple entry. The site I mentioned outlines everything you need to know. It has application forms etc as attached links. Also had sample "letter of invitation" etc

It is important to be detailed. Outline length of relationship etc etc. Be honest.

You can ommit some information if you think it may damage her chances.

You will need to provide information about her accommodation etc. To this end you need to provide information as to how she will support herself while here. I provided my financials,  bank statements etc. Some money in her own bank while not absolutely essential, it certainly is a plus. Most importantly they look at compelling reason to return. 

thanks for the feedback everyone!

She is 31 year old working in BKK at Central World with no kids, never married. Her job will terminate her employment if she comes to Australia so she can't get a letter from them saying she will have a job when she gets back. What other ways to prove she will come back to Thailand, i hear this is the most important part... 

On the check list, it shows to prove family ties in Thailand. How do you do this, it doesn't say exactly what they want to see? 

no kids are a turn - off for the ozzies. a mother, a home, family. photos of her working in the kitchen with mother and aunt, in her garden pulling weeds, that sort of stuff.

but, not trying to be negative here for once, i don't like your chances, mate.

all the attributes you mentioned above (girlfriend, never married, no kids, no job) with let the red lights light up big time.

1 hour ago, organicman said:

thanks for the feedback everyone!

She is 31 year old working in BKK at Central World with no kids, never married. Her job will terminate her employment if she comes to Australia so she can't get a letter from them saying she will have a job when she gets back. What other ways to prove she will come back to Thailand, i hear this is the most important part... 

On the check list, it shows to prove family ties in Thailand. How do you do this, it doesn't say exactly what they want to see? 

Obviously, a Letter from the employer would just say that she has a job, now and in the future. (no mention that she would loose her job) Tell the employer the letter is to get a bank loan. The job, and your letter of support, is 90% of a successful application. Family ties etc, can be made up and Aust immigration would be aware of this. 

My Thai ex-GF told me about a 15-yo lady from her village who worked in a bar in Pattaya and met a 'rich' Australian man. Just a few weeks after they met he decided to bring her to Queensland where he lived. So he bought her a new Thai ID card and paid for changes in birth records in her home town/village so that her age was increased to 20. Then a fake school certificate followed and he paid some Thai business to provide a fictitious employment statement. Hired a visa agent in Pattaya to handle her visa application. Spent all in all a few hundred thousand baht. She got a tourist visa in the end.

7 minutes ago, sonjai said:

My Thai ex-GF told me about a 15-yo lady from her village who worked in a bar in Pattaya and met a 'rich' Australian man. Just a few weeks after they met he decided to bring her to Queensland where he lived. So he bought her a new Thai ID card and paid for changes in birth records in her home town/village so that her age was increased to 20. Then a fake school certificate followed and he paid some Thai business to provide a fictitious employment statement. Hired a visa agent in Pattaya to handle her visa application. Spent all in all a few hundred thousand baht. She got a tourist visa in the end.

Fortunately this type of anecdote is rarely based on truth or fact ! 

I cannot of course vouch for this story to be 100% true. However, I know personally one American who bought his girlfriend a school certificate for 100k so that she could get a job. As far as the embassy is concerned their procedures are naturally not infallible  and over the years there have been cases reported, for example, of local embassy employees being bribed to assist obtaining visas in some countries.

I will be her financial support. How much money will I need to prove? I currently have $1000 in my bank and $5000 limit ($4500 available) of my credit card, would this be enough for a subclass 600? I just got a new job today after returning from Thailand 2 weeks ago (3 month trip). 

When I spoke to my paranoid dad, he said be careful cause if she does run away in Australia, I have to pay for damages cause I said I'm her guarantor, is this true?? What kind of trouble would I be in?

Archived