Australian VISA for Thai girlfriend (first time)

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

Rightly or wrongly, Immigration think your girlfriend is spending too much time in Australia to be considered

a genuine tourist. How long has she spent in Australia since the first visa was granted?

If you don't want to apply for a spouse visa, your options would be to apply for a 6th one later on and see what happens I guess.

Most of of last year and 6 months of the year before. She hasn't came to Australia once this year. 

I find it offensive that Australian Immigration is forcing me to marry her if I want her to come to Australia again! 

The bad thing about Australia just like Canada is that if you live with someone for two years, it's the same as marriage where she can clean me out! 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, organicman said:

Most of of last year and 6 months of the year before. She hasn't came to Australia once this year. 

I find it offensive that Australian Immigration is forcing me to marry her if I want her to come to Australia again! 

The bad thing about Australia just like Canada is that if you live with someone for two years, it's the same as marriage where she can clean me out! 

as in Thailand - same same.

Consider Aust immigration is doing you a favour - so you cant get cleaned out.

Nothing like true love is there?  

43 minutes ago, organicman said:

What's most of last year?

How many months?

9 hours ago, organicman said:

8-11 months last year. 

TBH, you're lucky she got the last visa granted.

You've used the tourist visa as pretty much a partner visa.

She can't be deemed to be a tourist when she is basically living there.

I would just enjoy the current visa and then apply in another 12 months.

Having a sufficient break between visas will be the key.

With her visa history, one visa grant per year, assuming she stays the full

3 months is about pretty much she will get I think.

• 5 months later...

Due to the Coronovirus, I called Immigration to see if she can stay longer than 3 months (Visa finishes October 2020) where she has to leave Australia by May 7th. They gave no advise and said she can apply for another visa in Australia and told me to visit a website and to pay for an agent. 

Is there a visa that I can apply for her so she can stay longer now that the Australian borders are shut?

1 hour ago, organicman said:

Due to the Coronovirus, I called Immigration to see if she can stay longer than 3 months (Visa finishes October 2020) where she has to leave Australia by May 7th. They gave no advise and said she can apply for another visa in Australia and told me to visit a website and to pay for an agent. 

Is there a visa that I can apply for her so she can stay longer now that the Australian borders are shut?

So long as she doesn't have a 'no further stay' condition with her existing visa. she can apply for a bridging visa. Assume you would need to apply for fiance visa which takes about a year or so to process. Accordingly if not immediately rejected, unlikely, can stay quite a while.

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Assume you would need to apply for fiance visa which takes about a year or so to process.

And cost thousands of dollars up front don't forget, plus all the paperwork, birth certificates etc. I suspect he's looking for a shorter/cheaper extension than that

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

And cost thousands of dollars up front don't forget, plus all the paperwork, birth certificates etc. I suspect he's looking for a shorter/cheaper extension than that

Sure, just an option to consider

4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

yeh nearly $8000.

2 hours ago, PhanomR said:

Until organicman answers if they have 8503 condition, giving advice to on what visa to apply for is preemptive.

There is no 8503 on the visa, just the following:

8101 - No work

8201 - Maximum three months study

I hear Thailand is thinking about closing their borders now, not sure what to do...

5 minutes ago, organicman said:

There is no 8503 on the visa, just the following:

Well then you can simply apply for another visa while in Australia, such as a student or another tourist visa or whatever visa she qualifies for and can afford.

5 minutes ago, PhanomR said:

Well then you can simply apply for another visa while in Australia, such as a student or another tourist visa or whatever visa she qualifies for and can afford.

Her current tourist visa doesn't finished to October 2020 where she has to leave every 3 months. I don't believe you can apply for a tourist or student visa while in Australia? I also don't believe she can apply for a student visa cause she is over 30. 

21 minutes ago, organicman said:

Her current tourist visa doesn't finished to October 2020 where she has to leave every 3 months. I don't believe you can apply for a tourist or student visa while in Australia? I also don't believe she can apply for a student visa cause she is over 30. 

You're confused, her current visa is a multiple entry visa valid until october 2020 but each entry gives her a 3 month visa, thus why she must leave every 3 months. 

She can apply for any visa she qualifies for while here as she doesn't have a no further stay condition. If as an example she applied for another tourist visa, that visa (if granted before her 3 months is up) comes into effect when her current visa expires 3 months from her last entry (it also overrides her current visa). If it's not decided in time she goes onto a bridging visa until it is.

If its refused she must leave at that 3 month mark, but has the right to appeal, be granted bridging visa until the appeal is heard,so you could drag it out for many many months.  

Average wait time for a visitor visa appeal is currently (previrus) 476 days from lodgement. 

14 hours ago, PhanomR said:

You're confused, her current visa is a multiple entry visa valid until october 2020 but each entry gives her a 3 month visa, thus why she must leave every 3 months. 

She can apply for any visa she qualifies for while here as she doesn't have a no further stay condition. If as an example she applied for another tourist visa, that visa (if granted before her 3 months is up) comes into effect when her current visa expires 3 months from her last entry (it also overrides her current visa). If it's not decided in time she goes onto a bridging visa until it is.

If its refused she must leave at that 3 month mark, but has the right to appeal, be granted bridging visa until the appeal is heard,so you could drag it out for many many months.  

Average wait time for a visitor visa appeal is currently (previrus) 476 days from lodgement. 

thank you so much for your advise!

The best option if you don't wish to go for a partner visa and student/carer visa is out of the selection is apply for another tourist visa. Requesting 6/12 months and listing COVID as the reason. 

Just be aware if you are granted a 3 (6/12) month visa, it replaces and cancels the 12 month multiple entry one she current has. 

Archived