Luxury Bangkok condo counts costs of flood - 30 cars submerged

webfact

Luxury Bangkok condo counts costs of flood - 30 cars submerged

p3.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Owners at a luxury condominium in northern Bangkok are counting the cost of a flood after thirty cars were submerged in the underground car park.

Nearby Muang Thong is being blamed after flood prevention measures there were conducted for the holding of a degree giving ceremony, it was claimed, reported Manager Online.

Water rushed into the Champs Elysees Condominium in Chang Wattana Road during Sunday night catching the owners by surprise.

p33b.jpg

Twelve owners managed to get their vehicles out in time after being alerted of the flood by the condo manager. But in a matter of minutes thirty cars were submerged up to the level of the steering wheels.

Manager Janthorn Cheuawong, 57, said that the local authority were contacted to come and help but said they were overwhelmed with calls in the floods and couldn't come.

The condo pumped out the water and put 600 sandbags in place to prevent further floods.

Janthorn said that the condo had not even flooded in the great Bangkok inundation of 2011. He blamed runoff in the Bang Pang klong from Muang Thong where he said a degree presentation ceremony was organized.

Seven of the damaged vehicles were not insured and the local authority are being contacted for compensation in these cases.

Residents of the condo who suffered  outages due to power lines that came down were housed in the nearby Luxor Hotel, said the manager.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-27

Just another typical example of Thai architecture.....nice and simple for the developer who couldn't give a fig after the units are sold......

And no different to many towers in downtown BKK.....although some do have their carparks above ground which seems to be gaining popularity finally....

When you look at the height of the 2nd floor slab in the photo, you know that it is a condo building of only 8 floors.

The road on the first floor may well be below the level of the government road to allow a slight higher floor to floor height for the 8 floors, as the total restrictions on the building height is 23 metres.

Thus, the carpark at lower ground floor and basement is easily inundated.

They should be happy and wake up and see that they've got a new swimming pool. People that don't like floods should choose to live in the highlands of Thailand and stop their complaining. Be happy with whatever happens to you good or bad. Just be happy!:rolleyes:

44 minutes ago, Alive said:

They should be happy and wake up and see that they've got a new swimming pool. People that don't like floods should choose to live in the highlands of Thailand and stop their complaining. Be happy with whatever happens to you good or bad. Just be happy!:rolleyes:

You are 100% correct.      Heck, even if the bank where you bank somehow scams you out of every baht you have, just smile.  Be happy, don't worry.:smile:

But wait, what if these people have no clue that there's potential flood damage?

Mine's not insured for this kind of thing, either.  

I'm covered quite nicely for liability, but it's too old to get First Class insurance.  If it floods, I'll buy another older model vehicle.  And I won't be able to insure it for loss or damage, either.  No biggie.  

In the meantime, I've saved enough over the price of a new vehicle that I could lose 4 or 6 of them and still come out ahead of buying a new one.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Seven of the damaged vehicles were not insured and the local authority are being contacted for compensation in these cases.

What a joke, the idiots want compensation for not taking out insurance...som nam naa to all of them. Hope they don't get a single satang

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

did you notice 7 vehicles not insured, Oh.!! bigger. buy a car and not get insurance, that will work,, NOT !!

I guess they poured all their bahts into the condo's. How can you be driving here without insurance? I hope they have mold insurance that will be their next step. All those tax dollars pouring into Bangkok and they can still not solve the flooding problem. They should cite the 2011 flooding which was worse and during which their condo sustained no flooding. Something sure changed. Good luck on getting any money from the powers that be. Reminds me why I never have the desire to own property or a vehicle here. Little red life flags. 

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

did you notice 7 vehicles not insured, Oh.!! bigger. buy a car and not get insurance, that will work,, NOT !!

It is possible that they only had third party or the basic Govt insurance. Both will compensate others for damage done by the vehicle in an accident etc. But not the vehicle owner for damage incurred. Hence the need to pursue a third party for damages. Not everyone has first class insurance here - only basic insurance is mandatory.

1 hour ago, monspencer said:

What a joke, the idiots want compensation for not taking out insurance...som nam naa to all of them. Hope they don't get a single satang

You may want to temper your compassion just a little bit.

Once a vehicle reaches a certain age, you can't get First Class insurance on it.  I don't have it, because my vehicle is too old.  If mine were to be flooded, I'd be out of luck for any compensation.

But if I start saving on a Monday, I'll have enough to buy a comparable vehicle by Thursday lunch.  For someone on a Thai salary, it may take a year- if they can ever recover financially from that kind of loss.

So my heart goes out to them, especially if they didn't have insurance.  It wasn't necessarily by their choice.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

How can you be driving here without insurance?

Different classes of car insurance cover different risks, it doesn't mean that the owners "were driving without insurance".  In fact the owners weren't driving on public roads at the time of the flooding so there would be no legal requirement for insurance at all.

1 hour ago, oscar888 said:

Great Thai Engineers. High rise condos all around Bangkok.

...and this is the first report of one getting flooded for this reason, so not much wrong with them. 

Perhaps as a newbie you didn't realise that even if you don't bother to read the report properly (or choose to ignore what was actually reported) you leave yourself open for some well-deserved flack.  The suspected reason for the condo flood was given and it was nothing to do with Thai engineering at the condo.

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I guess they poured all their bahts into the condo's. How can you be driving here without insurance? I hope they have mold insurance that will be their next step. All those tax dollars pouring into Bangkok and they can still not solve the flooding problem. They should cite the 2011 flooding which was worse and during which their condo sustained no flooding. Something sure changed. Good luck on getting any money from the powers that be. Reminds me why I never have the desire to own property or a vehicle here. Little red life flags. 

May I respectfully suggest that in future situations like this you use a more appropriate term, as against

I guess they poured all their Baht into the condo's 

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

...and this is the first report of one getting flooded for this reason, so not much wrong with them. 

Perhaps as a newbie you didn't realise that even if you don't bother to read the report properly (or choose to ignore what was actually reported) you leave yourself open for some well-deserved flack.  The suspected reason for the condo flood was given and it was nothing to do with Thai engineering at the condo.

Without a bit of flack now and again it sometimes seems you are talking to yourself

Just dont take it personally, after all most of us if not all dont know one another from Adam

37 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

....mimicking civilization.....

...throwing words around....like luxury....resort....deluxe......

...means nothing except for 'inflated prices'.....

.....'Next'........

Welcome to toyland :coffee1:

Archived