Luxury Bangkok condo counts costs of flood - 30 cars submerged

webfact

3 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

So out of those 30 cars, 7 of them have no insurance or 23% of those vehicles have no insurance, but I bet that didn't stop them from driving those vehicles uninsured. Those 7 owners in no way should be compensated.

:passifier: See above

I do not know much about Bangkok but someone told me that the city was below sea level so aren't they use to flooding? 

What about Japanese  cars they are so tight that they float seen it on the last sunamie in Japan many toyota wher just floating away.

There will be cheap advertised for sale cars on the net.

flood waters do not follow the same path every time.water follows the easiest path available to it and it appears the luxury just happened to be in the wrong location  to come in the path of the flood water. only thirty  minutes for the water to reach car steering wheel level. that must have been some deluge of water.

3 hours ago, mettech said:

I do not know much about Bangkok but someone told me that the city was below sea level so aren't they use to flooding? 

What about Japanese  cars they are so tight that they float seen it on the last sunamie in Japan many toyota wher just floating away.

There will be cheap advertised for sale cars on the net.

this condo had not experienced the flood previously; hence they were not expecting it.

the cars are not waterproofed. during the tsunami, the sheer force of the water pushes articles bigger than cars in the flow. appearing as if they are floating.

Why would one purchase a property with basement parking in an area with flooding tendencies?:rolleyes:

I specifically looked for a development that offers secured, covered and above ground parking.

19 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Just another typical example of Thai architecture.....nice and simple for the developer who couldn't give a fig after the units are sold......

And no different to many towers in downtown BKK.....although some do have their carparks above ground which seems to be gaining popularity finally....

sir can you please explain what Thai architecture has to do with it. flood water got diverted somewhere and  this condo came in its path. the building is still standing. so it is structurally safe. flood water cannot differentiate between slums and posh condos or bungalows.

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

My car is not insured and never have been for the 10 years I have had it. Works brilliantly.

do they allow uninsured cars to go on the road. does not happen in most countries. the road registration is only renewed with current insurance for the car.

19 hours ago, Alive said:

They should be happy and wake up and see that they've got a new swimming pool. People that don't like floods should choose to live in the highlands of Thailand and stop their complaining. Be happy with whatever happens to you good or bad. Just be happy!:rolleyes:

like your optimism.

18 hours ago, impulse said:

Mine's not insured for this kind of thing, either.  

I'm covered quite nicely for liability, but it's too old to get First Class insurance.  If it floods, I'll buy another older model vehicle.  And I won't be able to insure it for loss or damage, either.  No biggie.  

In the meantime, I've saved enough over the price of a new vehicle that I could lose 4 or 6 of them and still come out ahead of buying a new one.

good planning. congratulations. you are in the very fortunate minority.

15 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I guess they poured all their bahts into the condo's. How can you be driving here without insurance? I hope they have mold insurance that will be their next step. All those tax dollars pouring into Bangkok and they can still not solve the flooding problem. They should cite the 2011 flooding which was worse and during which their condo sustained no flooding. Something sure changed. Good luck on getting any money from the powers that be. Reminds me why I never have the desire to own property or a vehicle here. Little red life flags. 

Reminds me why I never have the desire to own property or a vehicle here.

So true, but there is a never ending stream of farangs willing to spend millions on such.

I wonder how many of the cars belonged to farangs?

5 minutes ago, sahibji said:

do they allow uninsured cars to go on the road. does not happen in most countries. the road registration is only renewed with current insurance for the car.

For the yearly registration, you only need a 600 baht liability insurance, that only cover the most basic up to 100,000 baht. The car itself is not insured.

14 hours ago, impulse said:

You may want to temper your compassion just a little bit.

Once a vehicle reaches a certain age, you can't get First Class insurance on it.  I don't have it, because my vehicle is too old.  If mine were to be flooded, I'd be out of luck for any compensation.

But if I start saving on a Monday, I'll have enough to buy a comparable vehicle by Thursday lunch.  For someone on a Thai salary, it may take a year- if they can ever recover financially from that kind of loss.

So my heart goes out to them, especially if they didn't have insurance.  It wasn't necessarily by their choice.

very heart warming presentation. it is a loss definitely but in life we have face ups and downs. the cars were in the wrong place at the wrong time. you are right car beyond certain  will be not be covered under comprehensive policy and the third party risk owners have to take their chances with events like foul weather.

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

And you can write and speak perfect Thai?

Not everyone has English as their first language - just ease up a little.

If I were a grammar Nazzi  I would remind you not to start a sentence with a coordinating conjunction and not to put an adverb between the verb and the object.

On 27/09/2016 at 11:28 AM, trogers said:

When you look at the height of the 2nd floor slab in the photo, you know that it is a condo building of only 8 floors.

The road on the first floor may well be below the level of the government road to allow a slight higher floor to floor height for the 8 floors, as the total restrictions on the building height is 23 metres.

Thus, the carpark at lower ground floor and basement is easily inundated.

Mmmmm clever! Nothing like knowing the rules, pity the condo owners didn't! :smile::wai:

22 hours ago, gdgbb said:

...and this is the first report of one getting flooded for this reason, so not much wrong with them. 

Perhaps as a newbie you didn't realise that even if you don't bother to read the report properly (or choose to ignore what was actually reported) you leave yourself open for some well-deserved flack.  The suspected reason for the condo flood was given and it was nothing to do with Thai engineering at the condo.

Yes indeed the monsoon and the rain have caused the flooding. You are right it has nothing to do with Thai engineering. Thai engineering is world class, at least when it comes to flooding, again the monsoon this terrible natural disaster.

On 27/09/2016 at 5:13 AM, ChrisY1 said:

Just another typical example of Thai architecture.....nice and simple for the developer who couldn't give a fig after the units are sold......

And no different to many towers in downtown BKK.....although some do have their carparks above ground which seems to be gaining popularity finally....

Maybe they could sue the Architect and Developers, maybe also check into breaches of building control conformity when the building was constructed, (ie payments to officials to turn a blind eye to certain irregularities that may have prevented this flooding).  

22 hours ago, Tiffer said:

If I were a grammar Nazzi  I would remind you not to start a sentence with a coordinating conjunction and not to put an adverb between the verb and the object.

555. It is "conversational" English not academic writing.

Nazzi? Are you grammatically impaired? The last question is as rhetorical one, I do not want or expect an answer. Try and have a nice day :smile:

On 9/28/2016 at 4:23 AM, lvr181 said:

And you can write and speak perfect Thai?

Not everyone has English as their first language - just ease up a little.

I only correct native English speakers, which he obviously is if you look at his comment history.  I would never do it to an English-as-a-second-language commenter;  anyone who can speak/write more than one language gets nothing but respect and admiration from me.

Archived