Pattaya Hospital prices

Prof3934

Please help me without the usual plethora of rubbish answers. I am being sincere and need help urgently.

I am English, retired and married. I have lived here for 17 years and was a Professor in Bangkok before retiring here.

I am 77 so have no health insurance.

I had a very bad 2 years a little while ago and had operations for acute appendicitis, gall stones and gall bladder, and then 2 heart operations.

I have recovered well from all of them.

Seven years ago I had to have a replacement knee joint. The operation went wrong and I had to have another three ops to get it right, all at my own cost.

I have lived for 65 years with nothing wrong with me, a fit rugby player - and then all these ops when I come to Thailand.

Now I look as though I need treatment for my prostate because I am having to pee all the time, day and night.

I live in Pattaya and need the cheapest but the best diagnosis and treatment. I have virtually run out of money and cannot afford an y more private treatment.

What shall I do?  Where shall I go? Best advice please.  I cannot return to England after 20 years.

You have said you can not afford private hospital treatment so that would mean government hospitals as a paying customer I suspect and believe if want in local area best to go south to use Navy facility from most reports here.  Sorry can not speak to cost as have never used and my old mind does not keep track of current information as well as it once did.  

Agree, Queen Sirikit Hospital in Sattahip is probably the best option.

Costs will depend much on what is needed, which in turn depends on what the problem is. If it is clear from the initial examination that is  benign prostate enlargement, you are looking at a consultation, digital exam, blood test (PSA) and meds, buy the latter at an outside pharmacy and cost will likely be few thousand baht at most. If cancer is suspected and you need further tests such as rectal ultrasound,  prostate biopsy etc then cost is more. If it is found to be cancer then more still.

You need to consider not just your immediate prostate issue but your future health care needs as well. You are only going to get older and will inevitably need more  potentially high cost medical care as you do so. If you have really "run out of money" then remaining in Thailand -- where even in government hospitals you still have to pay for health care -- is not a viable plan.  Government hospitals certainly cost less than private, usually by a factor of about 3 (perhaps more if compared to the priciest private hospitals) but it is still quite possible to run up bills of 1-2 million baht in one if prolonged ICU care, major specialized surgeries and the like are needed.

Thanks for useful information.

Fortunately, I haven't literally run out of money. I have my 800,000 baht in a special bank account for the visa.

My pension covers our living needs, but the 7 ops I have had in the last 8 years have drained me of 3.1/2million baht,

obviously unplanned, so definitely no more private treatment. So Queen Sirikit looks like the answer.

3 minutes ago, Prof3934 said:

Thanks for useful information.

Fortunately, I haven't literally run out of money. I have my 800,000 baht in a special bank account for the visa.

My pension covers our living needs, but the 7 ops I have had in the last 8 years have drained me of 3.1/2million baht,

obviously unplanned, so definitely no more private treatment. So Queen Sirikit looks like the answer.

Good luck to you.    I appreciate what you say about things going great for decades and then  all hell breaks loose.

Archived