When did your Thai "Honeymoon" end?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eldragon said:

I just get bored of the way Thai girls look around like they're wondering who's watching them every time they're approached by a foreigner. It's one of those things you can't unsee.

This reminds me of something I saw years ago on the BTS.

----------------------------------------------------------------

And here follows another of my Legendary True Stories

I was sitting on the BTS. Next to me was a funky-looking Thai girl aged about 20. She was glued to her smartphone. Next to her was a bored-looking Thai boy, also about 20, staring out the window. The girl and boy weren't together: they didn't talk to each other, nor did they exchange glances. 

The train stopped and a repulsive slob of a farang got on. With him was a tattooed hooker. They were a disgusting couple. They sat opposite me, but neither the funky-looking smartphone girl nor the bored-looking Thai boy noticed them. The girl continued tapping away on her phone and the boy just stared out into space.

At the next stop the farang and his hooker got off, and the train pulled away.

At that point the Thai girl and Thai boy looked at each other and burst out laughing. 

This event changed the way I viewed Thai people. They see everything, and they're very discreet.

Oh, and yes -- they do laugh at us. They do us because we (and I mean this in a broader sense) are so ridiculous. We make such fools of ourselves.

17 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

Oh, and yes -- they do laugh at us. They do us because we (and I mean this in a broader sense) are so ridiculous. We make such fools of ourselves.

Hooker be thai?

Ha Ha so laugh at who?

it's they laugh that you can buy in their country prostitute for the salary of the lowest paid hours and not a skilled worker?

I they can  laugh  .. fools.. ha ha

i am evry time laught too

Than  see many thai even not wash hand after toilet .. or when near some nice place( shop,coffeshop,condo ,plaza ets) 

smelly garbage dump, smelly oily spots on asphalt etc..

:smile:

They see everything, and they're very discreet.

so they see all this is ? so why nothing to do? They like to live surrounded by garbage and dirt?

1 hour ago, ardokano said:

Hooker be thai?

Ha Ha so laugh at who?

it's they laugh that you can buy in their country prostitute for the salary of the lowest paid hours and not a skilled worker?

I they can  laugh  .. fools.. ha ha

i am evry time laught too

Than  see many thai even not wash hand after toilet .. or when near some nice place( shop,coffeshop,condo ,plaza ets) 

smelly garbage dump, smelly oily spots on asphalt etc..

:smile:

They see everything, and they're very discreet.

so they see all this is ? so why nothing to do? They like to live surrounded by garbage and dirt?

Mmmmmmm. You sound intelligent.

On ‎30‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 0:36 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Most Thai's think that Thai Girls who look like a hooker with a foreigner are hookers... 

There's a difference and Thai's can definitely tell that difference... 

If I see a farang with a girl many years his junior, and she has loads of tats I think it safe to assume she is a bargirl.

The harder ones to pick are those that are wearing very expensive clothes and look like they have always done so. I am sometimes unable to distinguish if she is a bar girl with a rich sucker husband, or just high maintenance.

I have nothing against bar girls at all. I have known many lovely ones, but hi so girls on the game don't hang out in Pattaya bar beers.

20 hours ago, nausea said:

When I started to live here permanently, as opposed to coming here on holiday. For most people I think it's best to keep it as a holiday dream. The reality and the fantasy rarely match. For me it makes no difference, I've just recreated in Thailand the life I had in the UK. Same old trips to Big C, same old visits to family. The first year or two were pretty exciting though. 

Actually I was happy living in Pattaya, the town with everything.

It was only when I got manouvered into moving to a small Thai town that my honeymoon with LOS ended. There is something soul destroying living in a crappy, broken town where hardly anyone speaks English and the only excitement is going to the IT café.

On 30/09/2016 at 4:34 PM, eldragon said:

Depends on your definition of hooker. But the consensus seems to be that Thai girls who date foreigners do it b/c they need something from him.

I have gone to work in Bangkok high-rise office buildings for soon 25 years and the conclusion you draw doesn't match the one I or Thai's draw there

Fabricus said it well in post 23 in this thread, it's about deportment and etiquette. Among Thai's, also bar girls see deportment and understand what it means

It's sad but it is reality

12 hours ago, ardokano said:

may we meet different girls?

yes there were such cases. but it is mainly with the very poor and poorly educated girls.
  Or maybe you look like Alain Delon and proud that she met you, and this is independent of race.. ;)

Great. Another "I associate with better Thais than you do" post. I'm talking about the majority here... Anyway, I'm sure most of the Thais who qualify as classy couldn't hang with a sophisticated conversation in the west. Some of em are able to fake it, but chances are in a few hours they won't even remember what was discussed.

Truth be told, I find the middle class and hi-so wannabes to be the absolute worst when it comes to turning their noses up at foreigners. Legit hi-so people have been abroad and associate with foreigners enough that they're over it. And they probably don't care what anyone outside of their personal circle thinks. The lo-so and poor people in Thailand are the friendliest and most sincere ones here.

On 9/28/2016 at 6:13 AM, Rc2702 said:
On 9/26/2016 at 11:48 PM, eldragon said:

Around the 6 month mark. I was walking down my soi with a Thai girl and she informed me that most Thais assume a Thai girl with a white foreigner is a hooker.

Ain't that the truth. That's the blatant truth and anyone who disagrees or whose closest and dearest disagrees is not facing the truth. I recall some "intelligent men" believing this notion was so "proejective" but it's the truth, sadly and that ideal reflects badly and is a 1st impression so it's an uphill battle from the outset.

I thought a lot about this after reading it. Generally speaking it is the harsh reality with the exception on a few things where I do not think Thais pay any attention to it.

Here are likely a few reasons you will likely be dumped into the bucket as Eldragon and Rc2702 stated;

• Many of the perception/assumptions are formulated on where one lives in Thailand. I will not list the places but I think we all know. 
  • How the woman behaves and carries herself when out or where the couple hangs out. 
  • The age gap draws stares and immediate assumptions and its not just a hooker, many are viewed as pedophiles and other such names.
  • Women with lots of Tat's and is with a foreigner
  • Women who speak little English  
  • The age of the women, young yes, older no.

Its sad in many ways because there are many what I will call general Thai/Foreigner marriages that get lumped into that bucket. Stereotyping is common everywhere in the world. In the west when a foreigner is with a much younger Asian wife it is immediately perceived she is mail order bride. But to Rc2702's point it can be an challenge when people assume and judge anywhere. 

As to the OP's question, I do not think I came here under a " Thai Honeymoon" mentality. This may be because I initially came to Thailand working for a US company and back here now doing the same. Maybe after I really retire it might become that but I seriously doubt it as I am pretty entrenched here.  To me its just another place to live and I call it home. I can however see those who made their annual holiday getaway location their new home that thought might exist.

8 hours ago, eldragon said:

Great. Another "I associate with better Thais than you do" post. I'm talking about the majority here... Anyway, I'm sure most of the Thais who qualify as classy couldn't hang with a sophisticated conversation in the west. Some of em are able to fake it, but chances are in a few hours they won't even remember what was discussed.

Truth be told, I find the middle class and hi-so wannabes to be the absolute worst when it comes to turning their noses up at foreigners. Legit hi-so people have been abroad and associate with foreigners enough that they're over it. And they probably don't care what anyone outside of their personal circle thinks. The lo-so and poor people in Thailand are the friendliest and most sincere ones here.

I strongly disagree that poor people are somehow better people by virtue of being poor.  I have experience across a very broad range of the social spectrum here in Thailand and over a very long period of time.  You are making assumptions about people you apparently don't know.

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

I strongly disagree that poor people are somehow better people by virtue of being poor.  I have experience across a very broad range of the social spectrum here in Thailand and over a very long period of time.  You are making assumptions about people you apparently don't know.

Perhaps there is a difference between genuinely rich people and those that aspire to be rich. Back home I have been unfortunate to meet some that consider themselves to be rich, and are very much the sort to avoid, while the most genuinely nice people I know are nowhere in that class of people.

In LOS, I do not have any experience of the wealthy, but among the poor people I have met over many years, there are both nice and bad people.

2 hours ago, villagefarang said:

I'm not saying they're better people. But I find they're not as aloof towards or paranoid around foreigners.

I think it is understandable that Thais who are more affluent, better educated, more traveled and generally more modern and worldly than the average village peasant, might look at foreigners differently.  Sometimes people who have very little, will try to ingratiate themselves to people they see as potential benefactors.   Many foreigners have never been treated with such deference in their home country and read things into this behavior that may not be there.

11 hours ago, eldragon said:

Anyway, I'm sure most of the Thais who qualify as classy couldn't hang with a sophisticated conversation in the west.

And I thought that was most of the charm - I got so tired of the "so - what do you do?" cocktail party chatter of people working at being impressive and smart... so disingenuous, egotistical and self serving. I prefer the silly teasing and meaningless light hearted banter of the ladies at the local temple massage any day... 

53 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

A lack of money seems to be making people around the world pretty darn hostile these days.

Compared to not so long ago, the disparity between the wealthy and the poor was not so blatent. Now that the wealthy flaunt their affluence in the face of the deprived, is anyone surprised if the less well off are becoming aggressive about it?

A society in which 1% own most of it is unlikely to exist for long.

No need for revolutions anymore either. Can just vote in someone like Bernie to take what the wealthy don't want to share.

Just got back from the market. The mackerel vendor tried to talk me into buying some nam prik plaa tuu to go with the fish I bought. I confessed I loved the taste, but it usually gave me diarrhea. She told me nam prik had a purgative effect on everyone, that it was sort of a laxative. I was like 'Are you kidding? Serious? I never knew that!'  I swear to God, everyone was laughing so hard. I was making faces like I had explosive diarrhea, making pooping noises. Usually I'm pretty no-nonsense at the market, and I could tell the vendors were happy to see me laughing and joking and having a good time.

That should keep the romance going for a few more months, at least.

On 30/09/2016 at 10:33 AM, eldragon said:

I don't care what they think. But the girls I'm trying to get with do. And that's where it affects me.

Before I met  the mrs. I hooked up with a 24 year old a few years back in bkk who worked at DHL/FDX centre old fa shined here my number exchange. Anyway, I never realised I just thought she was not single. Insisted on meeting me at hotel and would do a quick recce.  Looking in all directions and then ushering me inside quickly. She was not married or taken. She was bloody ashamed. You think being a farang is good here. A lot of thai women look for actual dates with men who appear to look thai but are often not. 

11 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Anyway, I'm sure most of the Thais who qualify as classy couldn't hang with a sophisticated conversation in the west.

And I thought that was most of the charm - I got so tired of the "so - what do you do?" cocktail party chatter of people working at being impressive and smart... so disingenuous, egotistical and self serving. I prefer the silly teasing and meaningless light hearted banter of the ladies at the local temple massage any day... 

It gets old. Especially when you wake up and realize your girlfriend of one year doesn't know your last name, what town you're from, of even what you do from 9 to 5 every day.

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Before I met  the mrs. I hooked up with a 24 year old a few years back in bkk who worked at DHL/FDX centre old fa shined here my number exchange. Anyway, I never realised I just thought she was not single. Insisted on meeting me at hotel and would do a quick recce.  Looking in all directions and then ushering me inside quickly. She was not married or taken. She was bloody ashamed. You think being a farang is good here. A lot of thai women look for actual dates with men who appear to look thai but are often not. 

You met the girl at a hotel for quickies? Gosh, I wonder if anyone thought she was a hooker. Ha ha.

Seriously though, you're right. Hence the reason Japanese guys have the hottest girls. That and the money. And maybe the small- Ah, better not.

18 minutes ago, eldragon said:

You met the girl at a hotel for quickies? Gosh, I wonder if anyone thought she was a hooker. Ha ha.

Seriously though, you're right. Hence the reason Japanese guys have the hottest girls. That and the money. And maybe the small- Ah, better not.

Maybe japanese guys possess a better all round mentality than most asian countries. I'm no expert but japanese people seem pretty calm characters and their country is of course a very progressive one which makes them more like farang countries in many ways. Yes I think the .jps have the advantage here. Almost.

2 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I was never deluded enough to think Thailand was some kind of earthly paradise in the first place. 

Those who have a naive, unrealistic idea about the place tend to come down with a bump sooner or later. 

Everything comes with a honeymoon phase. It's not unique to the Land of Smiles.

21 hours ago, kenk24 said:

And I thought that was most of the charm - I got so tired of the "so - what do you do?" cocktail party chatter of people working at being impressive and smart... so disingenuous, egotistical and self serving.

You're also describing a billion and one small-talk conversations occurring at parties and social gatherings in the West.

4 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

You're also describing a billion and one small-talk conversations occurring at parties and social gatherings in the West.

Yes, that is what I was referring to - the sophisticated conversation at cocktail parties in the west as opposed to the silly banter here that I find preferable...  I should have said that more clearly... oh well. 

Archived