New police forms

Thakkar

Has this happened to anyone else?

A clean cut young man in plain clothes came up to my residence in a motorcycle. Said he was a policeman, but produced no ID. Showed me a list of names with mine also on it, including passport and address details. And then gave me the following forms to fill which basically also asked the same details.

police-form.JPG

police-form-2.JPG

We had these at my home in Chiang Mai.  In my village and neighbouring ones. 

Problem was the name on mine was not me.... and the address house number was wrong.  So I told them I did not want to fill it in.  The head man came to take it back the next day.. and told me he has been told that the government has told all the head men to get this information form any Farangs living in their village.

I found it too personal.... asking height, weight, eye and skin colour, and lots of family information.

That same day I had already filled in 3 of the weird forms at the Immigration office about the places I like to hang out at and all that other stuff..... filled out 3.. all the same.. and they wanted a photo on first one.  Kept telling them I filled on in already and also at my last 90 day.

What's going on?  Next will be having to report to the village head man AND immigration every 90 days?  And why do we have to fill the information 90 day forms out AND this new one AND this home delivered police one... ALL with the SAME information on them... EVERY TIME we go to do 90 day or visa renewal.  Seems crazy. 

OK you can fill out the form,is there a follow up to see if the answers are truthfull. They will need an army.I really dont see the logic,oh that word again.I would suggest that the greater majority of foreigners are pretty law abiding and there are far greater problems this country need to address

I was talking to an English teacher the other day; nice European girl about 26 y/o who lives near me. She said the police showed up at her place with the form around 12:00 Saturday, showed her the list with her name on it, and said she should have it completely filled out by 10:00 the next morning as they would be back to pick it up. She set it down and forgot about it. Sunday at 10:00 on the bell two police showed up to pick-up the form. She apologized and said that she was busy preparing for the exams and forgot. She said they were most disappointed and gave her until 18:00 to complete it and leave it for them if she would not be home. Seems they are serious about it.

11 hours ago, Ronuk said:

If you have nothing to hide it's no problem. There's nothing on that form they wouldn't know about me anyway.

That is not so much the problem is it ?

Everything aside after you live in Thailand many years & it gets tighter & tighter to the point

of if you go to another jangwat for more than a day you need to check in with police there& file a form on your return to your home jangwat

withing 24 hours of arrival is that all no problem since nothing to hide?

Also when exactly is enough... enough? What part of Their system do they not trust?

I mean for starters before we leave our country we go to Their consulate & get a Non Imm visa type O or what ever

We use it & arrive in Thailand...we are processed at arrival gate & logged into Their system

Next we must check into Immigration within 24hrs & our landlord or homeowner where we are staying must file a TM30

Why ??.....was Their Visa system no good? Was Their entry logging no good?

Now we are here jumped thru the hoops, but...after 60 days we go to start our 1 year extension...Ok got it....

Yet in 90 days they want a check in? Why ??.....was Their 1 year extension no good??  So we do it...90 days later you know it right?

Rinse repeat

So at some point it is not about having nothing to hide...It is about what part of Their own system is so screwed up that they either don't trust it

or just want to create more hurdles? Because yes while we have nothing to hide we also really have nothing left to show/tell them that they

do not already know/have ...ad nauseam

We recently left after 4+ years & are planning to return but reading more & more daily about the silliness required I do at times

wonder is it getting even worse

Roughly speaking, we spend less than one day a year dealing with Thai bureaucracy. A few hours at Immigration once a year, time spent going to the post office to mail off our 90-day reports, time spent filling out redundant forms.... That allows us to live in their country, and enjoy the life we want to live. 

I can give them one day a year for this. Mai pen rai.

Thanks to everyone for responding.

After some poking around on the internet, it seems to me that this is just another layer of bureaucracy with duplicated (but slightly different) paperwork because one government department isn't properly talking with another and there is no shared database. Perhaps this is a good thing because I for one dread the prospect of all my data residing in one central server susceptible to hacking.

It seems there is a concerted effort to crack down on overstayers, illegal aliens, foreign criminals laying low here, illegal workers and victims of human trafficking and that the police have been roped in to help the immigration dept. And they have decided to do their own thing and build their own data sets, because they felt the partial list given to them by immigration was insufficient.

Overlapping bureaucracies, undocumented workers and overstayers are not uniquely Thai phenomena. America and other nations face the same issues.

BTW, I should also mention that the policeman also took a picture of me and himself at my gate with his cellphone. That was weird.

T

How many times do they need to know where we live,

form ,when you get Extension,form when you do 90 days,

the form with all your details on ,from Immigration,and

now one from the Police,Oh! forgot also TM30 and TM28.

whats next.?

regards worgeordie

Had the same thing 4 years ago. Plain clothes man turns up at my gate with a similar form, asks me to fill it out and said he would collect the form on the next day. But instead I went personally to the police station and completed the form.

Also discovered that the police made inquiries with my neighbours about me although I have lived here for several years. While at the police station the policeman had a list of names of all the Farlangs in the area. I know the local police and immigration do not communicate with other and they track down Farlangs by asking locals who are only too keen to point out where the Farlang lives.

Now it seems the local police are keeping track of Farlangs staying in their jurisdiction and have been doing so for quite a few years.

Just another thing to make me feel unwelcome here.

What on earth are my neighbours thinking about me when police come to my house asking questions.. and also going to neighbours houses asking stuff about my family. 

Are they trying to make the Thai population be scared of Farangs and not trust us? 

Seems like paranoia about farangs. 

Archived