Over 60 - had a health problem - how have things worked out ?

Once Bitten

22 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Heart problem fixed at private hospital 200,000 baht.  Gave up smoking and drinking - Dr's orders.  Gained weight and trying to lose weight now.  Lunch is fruit and vegetables mixed in a blender with ice and protein powder or some other protein source like yogurt.   Met a number of veterans on line who have helped me with my military disability.  I think my health care is better here than it would be at a VA hospital in the States and cheaper for the US government.   I do aerobic exercises when in the mood and walk the dog twice a day.

It seems that you like other posters here ,  agree that the health care in Thailand is better than back home , what was your heart problem ?

With all the comments on this thread relating to the benefits of having health insurance , I thought I would just check my health insurance policy benefits plan  , which I originally subscribed to many years ago , I normally just pay the premiums every year and hope that I do not need to make a claim , which Ive so far never had to do.

After checking my BUPA health insurance ( Emerald  plan with a current premium of 36,000Baht  ) I then did a search here on this forum.

Well after seeing comments on this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/908371-bupa/?page=1

And after reading a post by , bank   ( Lung Cancer )

And particularly this post -----

Well , the Bill is now in.
For the period of stay 7th Jan - 9 Feb. Includes everything operations medicine accommodation etc.
Before discount Baht 2,638,311.10, after discount Baht 2,578,327.99
On top of that add Baht 63,000 for PET-CT scan.
The EBUS procedure Baht 307,748
Grand total = Baht 2,949075 + my share of excess of Baht 21,000
All up Baht 2,970075
Cheaper than I thought it would be.
banK

I now think I made a huge mistake with the original BUPA health insurance plan I picked.

So I now have to ask BUPA if its possible for me to upgrade to a more realistic plan that reflects current medical procedure costs here in Thailand , and what plans are currently available . I think the answer will be yes I can upgrade , but the new premium cost may cause a heart attack .

I wonder if I'm alone in having obvious insufficient health insurance financial cover ?

below is my current health insurance outline -

BUPA1.jpg

15 minutes ago, Once Bitten said:

With all the comments on this thread relating to the benefits of having health insurance , I thought I would just check my health insurance policy benefits plan  , which I originally subscribed to many years ago , I normally just pay the premiums every year and hope that I do not need to make a claim , which Ive so far never had to do.

After checking my BUPA health insurance ( Emerald  plan with a current premium of 36,000Baht  ) I then did a search here on this forum.

Well after seeing comments on this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/908371-bupa/?page=1

And after reading a post by , bank   ( Lung Cancer )

And particularly this post -----

Well , the Bill is now in.
For the period of stay 7th Jan - 9 Feb. Includes everything operations medicine accommodation etc.
Before discount Baht 2,638,311.10, after discount Baht 2,578,327.99
On top of that add Baht 63,000 for PET-CT scan.
The EBUS procedure Baht 307,748
Grand total = Baht 2,949075 + my share of excess of Baht 21,000
All up Baht 2,970075
Cheaper than I thought it would be.
banK

I now think I made a huge mistake with the original BUPA health insurance plan I picked.

So I now have to ask BUPA if its possible for me to upgrade to a more realistic plan that reflects current medical procedure costs here in Thailand , and what plans are currently available . I think the answer will be yes I can upgrade , but the new premium cost may cause a heart attack .

I wonder if I'm alone in having obvious insufficient health insurance financial cover ?

below is my current health insurance outline -

BUPA1.jpg

I cannot read this too clearly, but with all the "limits" on this or that, I do not know how you would even reach the max level of 500,000... I guess it is some protection, but surely does not sound like a lot of protection... 

And from a business perspective, I am not sure who would want to insure us old ticking time bombs anyway... 

On 9/28/2016 at 7:52 PM, Sheryl said:

Thailand based insurers won't enroll people at that age but most European based companies will. Even now, at 70, you could get coverage. The pre-existing conditions might be excluded - either altogether or for the first few years - but you can likely get coverage for everything else, and some policies will also give limited cover for things related to pre-exsiting.

The flaw with your plan is, as another poster pointed out, a major accident or catastrophic acute illness (heart attack, stroke etc) could leave you in need of costly care and unable to travel. I've seen it happen more times than I can count.

I suggest you consult an insurance broker. An expat policy at age 70 won't be cheap, but you can reduce premiums by accepting an excess.

Does anyone have a contact for insurance companies that wI'll insure people over 70 name and phone would be appreciated 

23 hours ago, Gary A said:

Having previously had two strokes, I worry about a serious crippling stroke. I go to the local hospital every three months for a checkup and blood test. I do have a problem with high triglycerides. They have been coming down over the past year but I do need more exercise. 

Gary A. 

Is there any particular med that they give you designed for preventing strokes? I have not had one but it is a concern as I do live far from any medical facility... 

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

I cannot read this too clearly, but with all the "limits" on this or that, I do not know how you would even reach the max level of 500,000... I guess it is some protection, but surely does not sound like a lot of protection... 

And from a business perspective, I am not sure who would want to insure us old ticking time bombs anyway... 

Sorry ken ,  try this ( Emerald  plan )

Ticking time bombs , now there's a thought :smile:

BUPAX.jpg

3 minutes ago, Once Bitten said:

Sorry ken ,  try this ( Emerald  plan )

Ticking time bombs , now there's a thought :smile:

BUPAX.jpg

Well, I would have questions... surgeons fees are maxxed out at 50,000 - which is not much, but major medical gives you 80% - which is it? What if the surgery is 300,000 baht? I have always felt more comfortable with very large deductibles and strong coverage for the extremes... in case of a serious illness, you are lost after 500,000 baht... it would be interesting to know how high bills can run in extreme circumstances and how often that might happen? 

19 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

Can anyone suggest a medical insurance broker that writes health insurance for those of us 65+ thru 70+

Many good posts about health after 60. Now where to get insurance? ? ??

Brokers don't write the policies. They provide yo uwith information about various plans of different companies and help you find one that fits your needs.

Google "expat insurance broker" and you will find many.  Or there is this one, a forum sponsor http://www.aainsure.net/health_insurance_thailand.html

To my knowledge, companies that offer expat policies with direct billing arrangements with Thai hospitals and willing to  enroll people aged >65 include:

Cigna global (Silver Plan)

AXA PPP (Standard Plan)

Globality Health (Essential Plan)

A+ Asia (Essential Plan)

ALC (Prima Premier plan)

AXA Now Health (Essential Plan)

AETNA (Major Medical Plan)

The above are listed more or less from least to most expensive. Most of these places have websites where you can calculate your premium - note that there are usually options for excess and copay that will substantially lower your premiums.  Or, you can let a broker do all that for you. Only look at inpatient cover, adding outpatient makes the premiums skyrocket and usually not worth it in Thailand.

Someone has PM'ed me askig me details of my insurer, I will publish it here so if anyone else might be interested.

I am 68 years old (May 1948), I started with Cigna 2 months before my 66th birthday.

The office is in Scotland UK.

I was interviewed over the phone regarding my past health, I even told them that I smoked - they asked me how many, is it less than 15 per day? Yes.

The cover I took out was the Gold package, inpatient only with an annual excess of 1000 GBP.

The network of hospitals used in Thailand is the Bangkok hospital network - you can use any of their hospitals and they will direct pay after the excess is paid.. Very impressed with the Bangkok medical centre - English not a problem.

If you use another hospital group then you pay and they reimburse within 5 days.

The quote that came back was around 2500 GBP with no exclusions.

I had no need to use the insurance during the 1st year. The renewal premium in year 2 was something like 2900 GBP, I thought this a rather steep increase (15%). However , I think that it came in a different age band/actuarial  calculations for that year.

9 months into year 2 - it was discovered that I had lung cancer, I opted to get treated in Bangkok - if anyone interested read my thread "Lung Cancer".

Whilst in hospital for this it was discovered that I had to have a stent for a AAA.

Treatment for the above came to around 3 million Baht, all done before year 3 renewal of insurance.

The 3rd year renewal cost was 3100 GBP or thereabouts (5.2% increase).

Last week I had an Hernia operation in Bangkok hospital Khon Kaen. This partly due to the hernia at the top of the AAA site scar.

There was only concern from Cigna - go and get it done. This operation and hospital stay 207000 Baht, 202000 Baht after discount.

I cannot find fault with this insurance company, as Sheryl has said - yes it gets more expensive with age but I am quite happy with everything.

The excess of 1000 GBP is NOT per incident but per annum, i.e. once the excess is paid any following incidents during that year is fully paid for by Cigna.

banK

banK

Thanks for posting your health insurance details , may be I missed it  , where were you residing when you applied for the insurance ?

I read through your post - "Lung Cancer"  , what a journey and a must read for any one thinking about private health insurance.

1 hour ago, Once Bitten said:

banK

Thanks for posting your health insurance details , may be I missed it  , where were you residing when you applied for the insurance ?

I read through your post - "Lung Cancer"  , what a journey and a must read for any one thinking about private health insurance.

I was living in Thailand. I found out about them on the internet - phoned them direct had an extensive too and fro  via email so that I had a recorded copy of their replies to me. Eventually decided to go with them.

The reason I took out health insurance was a casual conversation with a friend, up until the time things started to go wrong, virtually nothing health wise had affected me in my life.

No previous health records required, no medical examinations required, just the interview on the phone conducted on Skype and that's it.

Yes, I have revisited the my original story and find it quite incredible the sequence and good fortune I had.

At todays' rate of exchange, in total it comes to more than 70,000 gbp. For the outlay of 8500 gbp + 2000 gbp excess.

Now if I had to pay out 70000 gbp over that time I would probably have had to return to the UK - any delay in faffing about could have missed the stage 1 and the risk of the AAA bursting ( it was quite away along). Anyway, all turned out OK thankfully.

banK

11 hours ago, banK said:

I was living in Thailand. I found out about them on the internet - phoned them direct had an extensive too and fro  via email so that I had a recorded copy of their replies to me. Eventually decided to go with them.

The reason I took out health insurance was a casual conversation with a friend, up until the time things started to go wrong, virtually nothing health wise had affected me in my life.

No previous health records required, no medical examinations required, just the interview on the phone conducted on Skype and that's it.

Yes, I have revisited the my original story and find it quite incredible the sequence and good fortune I had.

At todays' rate of exchange, in total it comes to more than 70,000 gbp. For the outlay of 8500 gbp + 2000 gbp excess.

Now if I had to pay out 70000 gbp over that time I would probably have had to return to the UK - any delay in faffing about could have missed the stage 1 and the risk of the AAA bursting ( it was quite away along). Anyway, all turned out OK thankfully.

banK

I’m a little surprised that no previous health records were required, or no request for an up to date certified medical examination carried out in Thailand .

Your comment ( virtually nothing health wise had affected me in my life.)
Only goes to show the importance of health insurance in Thailand.

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Brokers don't write the policies. They provide yo uwith information about various plans of different companies and help you find one that fits your needs.

Google "expat insurance broker" and you will find many.  Or there is this one, a forum sponsor http://www.aainsure.net/health_insurance_thailand.html

To my knowledge, companies that offer expat policies with direct billing arrangements with Thai hospitals and willing to  enroll people aged >65 include:

Cigna global (Silver Plan)

AXA PPP (Standard Plan)

Globality Health (Essential Plan)

A+ Asia (Essential Plan)

ALC (Prima Premier plan)

AXA Now Health (Essential Plan)

AETNA (Major Medical Plan)

The above are listed more or less from least to most expensive. Most of these places have websites where you can calculate your premium - note that there are usually options for excess and copay that will substantially lower your premiums.  Or, you can let a broker do all that for you. Only look at inpatient cover, adding outpatient makes the premiums skyrocket and usually not worth it in Thailand.

Can anyone suggest a medical insurance broker that writes health insurance for those of us 65+ thru 70+

Many good posts about health after 60. Now where to get insurance? ? ??

Thank you for your help, I will start checking immediately.

From your experience would you have a ballpark number fie a male aged 70 no preexisting conditions,  in good health.

I only need catastrophic insurance in case of accident or dibilatating illness that would prevent me from getting on an airline m Do policies  like this exist?.?.?.

Not that I know of but you can get a policy with a large deductible.

I really can't say re premiums, go to the various websites and see. Or ask a broker to prepare a set of comparisons for you. The main disadvantage, besides time, to doing the calculations yourself is that all of the company websites require you to give a phone number first and you'll be bothered with sales calls.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not that I know of but you can get a policy with a large deductible.

I really can't say re premiums, go to the various websites and see. Or ask a broker to prepare a set of comparisons for you. The main disadvantage, besides time, to doing the calculations yourself is that all of the company websites require you to give a phone number first and you'll be bothered with sales calls.

Thank you I like that idea about a large deductible.  I'm thinking I gave a budget of around 10,000 baht a month Am being realistic or dreaming 5555

At age 70, it will probably be  be more than that. But you need to check under different deductible scenarios.

Again, a broker could provide you with all this information, in full detail, in a comparative chart. There is no charge for that.

9 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

I’m a little surprised that no previous health records were required, or no request for an up to date certified medical examination carried out in Thailand .

Your comment ( virtually nothing health wise had affected me in my life.)
Only goes to show the importance of health insurance in Thailand.

The only thing about previous health record was the interview on the phone. No medical examination. Looks like honesty prevails!

If you google it  - "Cigna Global Health options".   These plans for expats only - (you can also have the option of having  your foreign wife on the plan if you wish, more expensive of course!!).

banK

How well do you regenerate? Your red blood cells are replaced every four months, your skin in 30 days, and the lining of the small intestine renews in less than a week! Each day your body turns over a total of 50 to 70 billion cells.

Through your food choices, you decide if the replacement cells are vibrant or dysfunctional. The quality of the replacement cells relies on the building materials that are available when the new cells are being created. By eating anti-inflammatory foods, newly formed cells can actually be stronger and healthier than the old cells they replace.

http://www.alive.com/food/whole-foods-to-repair-and-renew/

There are many retired foreigners in Chiang Mai and as president of the Chiang Mai Expats Club and someone active in Lanna Care Net, an ad hoc group of expats that assists elder expats with difficulties, usually medical problems, I definitely second Sheryl's recommendation that everyone should have medical insurance, ideally from an European insurance company.  Or the ability to pay a hospital bill of several million baht at a moment's notice multiple times during your lifetime.  People who say they're "self-insuring" really mean they can't afford (or chose not to budget for) insurance premiums and 95% of the time don't have an emergency fund to draw upon in a time of crisis.  

Even the very elderly and ill can obtain personal accident insurance that that would take care of some of the big  (and totally unexpected) hospital bills I see for slip & fall accidents.  There is no way someone can return to their home country for medical treatment after a hip fracture.  (Well, I do know one guy who did, but he must have been totally impervious to pain.)

The other big regret I see among older expats is the failure to have early diagnosis of conditions that would have been totally treatable, often at low cost, if caught early.  All of the private hospitals in Chiang Mai that cater to foreigners offer Health Screening packages for a very reasonable price and even run "specials" on procedures like colonoscopies and cataract surgery.  There is no excuse for someone neglecting to have an annual check-up.  

A couple of my friends who assist Lanna Care Net are cancer survivors, having had their treatments in Chiang Mai.  They credit early detection and the wealth of treatment capabilities within the CM hospitals with their survival.  They also find it so sad that many of the people they assist are people they're helping through the End-of-Life.  Needlessly.  If their cancer had only been found early enough, and/or the diagnosis hadn't been ignored, and/or the person had funds available to pursue treatment.

Where someone has funds available and the willingness to take charge of their own body and their responsibility for keeping themselves healthy, I've seen some wonderful success stories among the elderly community here.  There are many expats over age 80 leading full, healthy active lives.  

One friend in his 80s recently had a heart pacemaker installed.  It's given him a new lease on life.  He had several unexplained episodes that weren't quite fainting and weren't quite seizures.  He spent a small fortune on testing at three different hospitals.  Everything from brain scans, cardiac stress testing (treadmill test), overnight sleep study, 24 hour cardiac Holter monitor, etc, etc.  The idea of installing a pacemaker was suggested as a "well, it can't hurt and it might help" idea -- not a definitive solution.  But, the results have been amazing.  He says he has an amazing amount of energy and his complexion color looks fantastic, and his mood and outlook has improved.   He wouldn't have been able to do this if he didn't have sufficient financial resources AND the commitment to take charge of his own body.  He's kept himself fit.  

For those who haven't -- it's never to late to start.  I know this myself.  Fifteen years ago I lost 50 pounds and my doctor in the U.S. was amazed with how I was able to reduce the meds for blood pressure and totally stop meds for acid reflux and cholestrol.  Sadly, I've gained much of that weight back in the past eight years in Thailand, but I've been working on it in the past six months and have lost twenty pounds.  The acid reflux has stopped and the dose of the BP & cholestrol meds have been reduced.  For a time I was going to a supervised clinic at Sripat Hospital for exercise under the watchful and urging one-on-one supervision of a physio-therapist (who worked my tail off), but recently we acquired a recumbent bike and rowing machine and now our condo looks like a fitness center and I have no excuse to keep working on the weight loss.  I've got to practice what I preach and get the rest of that excess weight off and try to kick the cholestrol med.

Well  after reading other posters health insurance comments here and and seeing Sheryl's advice about recommend health insurance caps , and realizing that my own health insurance ( Bupa ) was limited to a maximum pay out of just 500,000 Baht , I decided to ask Bupa about upgrading my current health insurance plan ( Emerald ) to another plan that offers a higher benefit limit.

I have still to decide which way to go /what to do / start drinking again :sad:

• 3 weeks later...

This might be the wrong thread but I will put it down here anyway.

Having fought an horrendous battle with malignant melanoma I find my resistance to other things such as infections has been seriously weakened with sinusitis , mouth ulcers and GI upsets (never had these chronic conditions before) now making my life a constant trial.

After long discussions with my Thai wife I have decided to make a break for my homeland whilst I am still capable of walking onto a plane.She will come with me and see that I am settled into a nice town with proper medical care.

I will miss Thailand in many ways-I am glad that I did it-but all of the above plus,dust,smoke  and humidity has just about knocked the stuffing right out of me.

Archived