How To Find Cheap And Good Wine

h90

Before I always bought wine for 340 Baht 2 liter or 700 baht 5 liter in pattaya, but now as I always stay in Bangkok, where do I find wine at a normal price?

That's an amazingly cheap px you're paying for that wine in Pattaya. Where do you get it for that px? Also, what kind of wine are you getting?

Here in BKK, wine is always pretty expensive. Often you find 2 for 1 prices at the Villa market but it's still 1000 baht for a bottle and then the 2nd one free. At that px, it's only about $US14.00 per bottle which isn't too bad for a descent Chilean wine. Would probably pay about $9 in the US for those wines.

Topps is around the same px as Villa Market.

Before I always bought wine for 340 Baht 2 liter or 700 baht 5 liter in pattaya, but now as I always stay in Bangkok, where do I find wine at a normal price?

That's an amazingly cheap px you're paying for that wine in Pattaya. Where do you get it for that px? Also, what kind of wine are you getting?

Here in BKK, wine is always pretty expensive. Often you find 2 for 1 prices at the Villa market but it's still 1000 baht for a bottle and then the 2nd one free. At that px, it's only about $US14.00 per bottle which isn't too bad for a descent Chilean wine. Would probably pay about $9 in the US for those wines.

"Best Supermarket" in Pattaya had this deal (I may remember a few baht wrong).

14 or 9 USD is still a high price, considering that Austrians from my area drink arround 0.7-1 Liter per day. At home I pay 2-3 Euro per 2 Liter of a good wine (nothing special but clean taste, no hang on the next day).

I hope that there are some small shops or wholesaler who can do a better price.....

I have looked in various places around bangkok and you wont get anything much cheaper than the 400baht a bottle. but yes I did notice one shop in pattaya (near Big C?) that had wines for quite cheaper price than bangkok. no idea how they could do that.

only other time I manage to get them cheaper is when going to the distributor and getting a case of them.

buy wine back from cambodia on one of your visa runs :o much cheaper there :D

I have looked in various places around bangkok and you wont get anything much cheaper than the 400baht a bottle. but yes I did notice one shop in pattaya (near Big C?) that had wines for quite cheaper price than bangkok. no idea how they could do that.

only other time I manage to get them cheaper is when going to the distributor and getting a case of them.

buy wine back from cambodia on one of your visa runs :o much cheaper there :D

From Cambodia, I know someone who goes Ban Laem, do you know any drinkable wine from there?

I only bought once a bottle and it was not good. Tasted like it was a long time in sun or hot weather.

Forgot: how to get direct to the distributor?

Edited by h90

Starting about 6 months ago or so Topps vastly improved their wines and have been directly importing some nice wines including California reds in the THB 400-500 range (you need the Spot Reward card). When you buy 6 bottles you get an extra 5% off.

H90, It's clear you are into table wines, and any fine wines if possible. Most Americans don't drink table wines, so they don't get the 'cheapest wine possible', or 'wine in a box' thing, though it is starting to catch on with us. I really haven't found a good wine source in the 3 yrs I've been here.

Sadly, I mainly do without, suck up n buy the specials at Tesco like 2 for 1, or buy on my border runs. But one of my favorite things to do, is set up networks where I promise to show friends of friends around town when they come to visit from abroad. I tell them all they have to do is bring me a bottle of wine for this. I must say it works out rather well, with a few odd bottles of wine flowing into my hands per year a real treat to look forward to !

I also have them bring me chocolate and other odd things from abroad. Yes, you can buy most of those things here, but it's the principle, as well as the pricipal! Feels like beating the system.

H90, It's clear you are into table wines, and any fine wines if possible. Most Americans don't drink table wines, so they don't get the 'cheapest wine possible', or 'wine in a box' thing, though it is starting to catch on with us. I really haven't found a good wine source in the 3 yrs I've been here.

Sadly, I mainly do without, suck up n buy the specials at Tesco like 2 for 1, or buy on my border runs. But one of my favorite things to do, is set up networks where I promise to show friends of friends around town when they come to visit from abroad. I tell them all they have to do is bring me a bottle of wine for this. I must say it works out rather well, with a few odd bottles of wine flowing into my hands per year a real treat to look forward to !

I also have them bring me chocolate and other odd things from abroad. Yes, you can buy most of those things here, but it's the principle, as well as the pricipal! Feels like beating the system.

In Europe, you get already a fine nice wine for 100 Baht (but you get table wine cheaper). Here I must fall back to table wines. The last two years I mostly drank beer, but I don't like it much and the quality here is also not the best.

Wine gets pretty expensive. When you think an average of 1 bottle per day at 300 Baht, it costs 9000 baht per month, if my parents visit me, we are at 27.000 Baht per month, that really hurts.

How people can have lunch or dinner without wine, what a pain, that should be a human right.....

• 2 weeks later...

I have some friends that pay some company that imports from South African...pretty good wines...you pay the folks a flat rate a month and they deliver bottles to you. Always really good and well handled...best part you get wholesale rates....don't know their name though. I'm thinking of signing up for a couple months as I've run through most of the buy one get one at villa and carefour :o

There are some decent buy one get ones...but seeing wines like Rosemount Estate that were 6 bucks in the states selling for 2000 baht is out of control....hurts so much

I also implement a bring wine policy. I get lots of guests from WA and CA so we get some nice local wines from folks....

Paul

I get some of the aussie wines when Im on one of the trips in the neighbourhood....all our neighbours sell wine cheaper than we get here!! grrrr

malaysia, cambodia..even the philippines is cheaper!!! all you guys need to do now is get someone to buy one back everytime they go to cambodia :o not sure u can get it at the border though..hmmm i bought some aussie wine in siem reap....range from 7 to 14 US...still much cheaper than what you can get for the same here. those selling for 5US in cambodia might be atleast 600baht in thailand

distributor...cant remember names now..but do a search in google and a few should come up..problem is you would need to buy quite a few bottles of the same wine...i think at one point with all the discounts and buy one get one...i managed to get the price down to less than 400 a bottle for some basic shiraz or merlot