Thai police visiting foreigners at home, asking for yet more personal info via new controversial form

webfact

16 minutes ago, performance said:

Who cares what they want. They are lost and loosIng big money. Just a terrible leader. The worst.

Money, money, money, that's all your worries. Farangs came to Thailand when they were richer and arrogantly thought they owned the country. Did they really ever believed they were really welcomed for acting like invaders?  

Now your money is gone, your economies are down, it's the century of Asia, and you're whining like babies when their toys are taken away.  

You want privacy?  Ask Farang governments about privacy. If your lucky you'll get an answer about their imperialistic national security. 

Remember, Thailand is a neutral sovereign country, and it's the leader of the now emancipating Southern majority in the UN. Exactly that is what's better than in this dystopia written by George Orwell in the year of 1948: the idea that the battled "southern zone" might rise while Oceania declines never came to Eric Blair's mind. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it may soon be time to organize all the Falang in the country with the intent  to leave for neighboring countries for 1 to 3 months leaving no resources for families, extended families etc

use the social media  to ask for the international community for support by not visiting during this period

one of two things will happen,,,they will find their county is better off without us and not let us back or 

they will find out what kind of economic impact we really make to the country

either way things may well change for the better

it seems like other neighboring countries are welcoming falang's and their financial resources

and show it by making long term visa's easy and installing programs to attract us

Philippines and Malaysia for example and it looks like Myanmar is leaning that way as well

even Vietnam is softening some of their rules regarding foreigenors

all to basically say,,,hey come retire here and bring your money,,,which can not be a bad thing 

23 minutes ago, ehw200 said:

it may soon be time to organize all the Falang in the country with the intent  to leave for neighboring countries for 1 to 3 months leaving no resources for families, extended families etc

use the social media  to ask for the international community for support by not visiting during this period

one of two things will happen,,,they will find their county is better off without us and not let us back or 

they will find out what kind of economic impact we really make to the country

either way things may well change for the better

it seems like other neighboring countries are welcoming falang's and their financial resources

and show it by making long term visa's easy and installing programs to attract us

Philippines and Malaysia for example and it looks like Myanmar is leaning that way as well

even Vietnam is softening some of their rules regarding foreigenors

all to basically say,,,hey come retire here and bring your money,,,which can not be a bad thing 

Yeah. Try to colonialize other ASEAN countries again, Farangs have already lost this fight. 

2 hours ago, DeeMak9 said:

I don't know about your country, but getting a Schengen visa turned out to be easier than getting a tourist visa to Thailand. This was just a few weeks ago. There are no additional forms when in the country. Don't be silly to state that the form in question is the only thing you have to fill in in order to stay in Thailand.

are you married  and an eu national and was it free?

21 hours ago, Busagon said:

The police nust take care the Thai people. Many forener come to Thailand and make trouble. eg. Cut the body and put in the river and the freezer. do the bombs, kill the Thai with car and motorbike, steal the ATM, fighting the Thai people, killing the thai peple, get the drink and not pay, stay long time but not have the visa and more.

Everyday police have the problem. Many many problem because the forener have in Thailand. And crazy people.

So they must check the forener.

Really ! ??  Have you read your OWN news lately on how many THAI men have raped, molested, tortured ,drugged and killed little girls!!!?? Some BABIES!  On this days post alone a THAI grandmother sells her 15 yr. old granddaughter into the sex trade..How about the VAST MAJORITY  of the ''wonderful'' THAI PARENTS thruout YOUR country and especially Issan , who instruct,force, coerce their own children to go out and become prostitutes ...Are your beloved police knocking on THEIR door!!??

,,And not to mention of how much your economy is ENRICHED by the $$$ that foreigners and EX-PATS  sink into your third world country.

Why don't you clean up your own backyard and do some research on your home grown crime caused by  pedophiles,thieves ,rapists,murderers, con artists ,extortionists and corrupt police before you start making stupid comments about the majority of law abiding foreigners that peacefully reside  here. You little hypocrite.

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

Yeah. Try to colonialize other ASEAN countries again, Farangs have already lost this fight. 

Colonise, you write some rubbish.  Since when does wanting to live in a different country and support yourself, bring up a family, bring your own hard earned money in to a country equate to that? 

I suppose you have facts to back up your short sightedness?  Or are you just been a troll? 

12 hours ago, swanny321 said:

I believe Thailand/Siam was one of the original signatories to the U.D.H.R. article 8 of which

describes the right to privacy and a family life without undue interruption from the state etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_privacy

Apart from one visit by the local police 4 or 5 years ago I have had my privacy and my family life for the last 12 years. The state hasn't interrupted it.

19 hours ago, Choctastic said:

Download it to your hard disk, fill in the relevant fields, then print.

Here's a link http://www.nvtpattaya.org/nvtp/images/Handig/NVTP-2016-06-22-Foreign-National-Information-Formulier.pdf

Excuse me saying so but that's not what the original post was suggesting.

I have already done what you suggest but the original poster was saying one didn't need to keep re-filling out the form as other posters have said is happening and has happened to myself - 1 for extension of stay on retirement and a 2nd for a re-entry permit in my case. 

The original poster was suggesting just having to change the date after 'digitising' the form.

My question was/is: how do you 'digitise' the form in order to achieve this!

Downloading the form doesn't allow you to enter anything on one's computer as it downloads in jpg format - i.e. like a picture - so you have to print it out, as you say, and then manually enter the required information. 

How can one change the downloaded form from jpg format into a format that allows one to simply change the date as was suggested?

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

I don't think the form is the main concern. It's more to do with people turning up at the door demanding that your fill it out in front of them. Why not just make a public announcement telling all foreigners they have to submit this form to a central location by such and such a date. It's got to be easier than going door to door, hoping folks will be in when you knock!!!

A few years ago the police were told to get a handle on which foreigners lived in their areas, particularly rural areas, for a while there it not unusual to have the police just show up and ask questions. I was known to be a regular visitor to a village outside Sukhothai where Mrs CM's family live, one day they showed up and started asking locals had they seen any foreigners in the area and my name came up. Eventually they came to the house when I wasn't there and got all the information they needed from the MIL, this exercise is simply a an extension of that process but in a more structured manner - it's no big deal, really.

All this house visit stuff and police visits/reporting is rather like Burma10/20 years ago. Big kerfuffle if your first point of call wasn't the local police station.

Although I'm sure our resident intern 101 will point out the facts so we can get a correct understanding. Maybe she is still on lunchbreak.

19 hours ago, laislica said:

Please send instructions how to digitise the form . I haven't a clue. I know how to scan it into my 'puter, but then what?

I only worked in IT for 25 years but having retired in 2008 'digitising' forms wasn't readily available then - it really wasn't!

Ha Ha, I retired in 2000 and it was available then LOL

There are many applications that take scanned documents and "read them" and allow you to make editable forms.

•  

If members have a Mac computer, the function is built in after you scan the form.  Bring it up in the Preview App, which allows annotations, including filling in text.  

23 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

A few years ago the police were told to get a handle on which foreigners lived in their areas, particularly rural areas, for a while there it not unusual to have the police just show up and ask questions. I was known to be a regular visitor to a village outside Sukhothai where Mrs CM's family live, one day they showed up and started asking locals had they seen any foreigners in the area and my name came up. Eventually they came to the house when I wasn't there and got all the information they needed from the MIL, this exercise is simply a an extension of that process but in a more structured manner - it's no big deal, really.

Yes, but you have to ask what message is this sending out to our Thai neighbours in our rural villages?

Police asking questions about us to the locals, trying to track us down.  Why?  They have all the info on us at immigration already.

It only serves to get the local villagers gossiping about us, and getting suspicious that we are dangerous criminals.  Its just creating bad feeling and racism and alienating us from the community. 

I have had several conversations with my Thai friends here and they tell me that now there is a bad feeling towards farangs here.... the news reports about the chopped up body in the freezer, the bikers beating us Thai 'children' for no reason.  The news and stories are coming thick and fast about us farang and how bad we are.

You can even read the general Thai view of farangs from the poster on here... Busagon.  This persons views seem to be the same as many people I have spoken to.

I think that maybe all this hype about farangs is to divers attention from other problems here.  Make us the scapegoat.  We are only a small percentage of the population and the crimes committed by some farangs are are going to be a much smaller percentage of the crimes committed by Thais themselves. 

If authorities want information about people that are potential "baddies" in order to better monitor or catch them this is hardly the way to do it. I don't think they are actually trying to target overstay farang.

With so many possible baddies around from illegal immigrants to terrorist I can just imagine some military intelligence official coming up with the bright idea that "We need information about what sort of people are out there, so lets get them to fill out a questionnaire".

Any person with mischief in mind is hardly going to give accurate information. There are so many better ways to collect and store biometric data in order to identify and track people.

1 hour ago, aslimversgwm said:

Excuse me saying so but that's not what the original post was suggesting.

I have already done what you suggest but the original poster was saying one didn't need to keep re-filling out the form as other posters have said is happening and has happened to myself - 1 for extension of stay on retirement and a 2nd for a re-entry permit in my case. 

The original poster was suggesting just having to change the date after 'digitising' the form.

My question was/is: how do you 'digitise' the form in order to achieve this!

Downloading the form doesn't allow you to enter anything on one's computer as it downloads in jpg format - i.e. like a picture - so you have to print it out, as you say, and then manually enter the required information. 

How can one change the downloaded form from jpg format into a format that allows one to simply change the date as was suggested?

If you have a Mac computer, please refer to my last post, above.

If you use a PC (non-Apple), do you have any software on it which:

• can annotate a JPG file?  Using the annotation function, fill in the form, and then simply change the date each time to have to make a report and reprint.
  • can convert a JPG file to a .pdf file?  It is usually easier to find software that enables you to annotate a .pdf file.  Convert the JPG to a PDF and then annotate.

Actually, I checked out the link for the  immigration form, and it's a .pdf file.  It shares some similarities with a jpg file which is probably why you thought it was a jpg.  However, a .pdf file opens up more opportunities to find software to annotate it.  In this case, simply find software that can annotate a .pdf document.    

If you can't find software on your PC to do the above (annotate), you can use the free Skitch for Windows.  It has limited functionality, but will do. Link:   http://download.cnet.com/Skitch-for-Windows/3000-12511_4-75835711.html

I personally recommend a purchased software program which I've used for years: ABBYY Fine Reader.  It's basically an OCR software program which will convert your Jpg (or other files) into an editable document.  Once you have done so, you can convert it to MS Word and do as I suggested in my original post about "digitizing it and just changing the date."  It's a bit of an involved process, but the program has broad functionality for many other tasks.    
You can download a trial copy for Windows here:  https://www.abbyy.com/en-apac/download/

Hope that helps!   Please feel free to private message me for any further help.  I'm certainly not an IT professional nor expert,  but I have been annotating digitized forms for over 20 years for business and personal use (anyone remember Visioneer PaperPort systems?).    Cheers.  

19 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Cambodia now is the way Thailand was 40-50 years ago. At one time in the early 60s Thailand offered permanent residence free to anyone who wanted to stay along with lifetime work permits- I know a few who are here and have them.  Once Cambodia starts to seek newly industrialized status it to will change its easy immigration policy.  The problem within Thailand is that there are far too many  foreigners who have entered  who are wanted by the police of their own countries; some who are intent on using Thailand as a base for crime and some who are just generally bad people. While all of these types are in the minority- once they act out if becomes front page news and we are all tarred by the same brush.

You mean over stayers and digital nomads.

It won't be long before they will want copies of bank information from the home countries, and fingerprints.

If it gets bad guys out, so be it.

Many of the individuals mentioned above always complained because many here legally, had no sympathy for their situations. So, the actions of a few end up hurting/inconveniencing all.

I think the next crackdowns will be ED visas and sham marriages.

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes, but you have to ask what message is this sending out to our Thai neighbours in our rural villages?

Police asking questions about us to the locals, trying to track us down.  Why?  They have all the info on us at immigration already.

It only serves to get the local villagers gossiping about us, and getting suspicious that we are dangerous criminals.  Its just creating bad feeling and racism and alienating us from the community. 

I have had several conversations with my Thai friends here and they tell me that now there is a bad feeling towards farangs here.... the news reports about the chopped up body in the freezer, the bikers beating us Thai 'children' for no reason.  The news and stories are coming thick and fast about us farang and how bad we are.

You can even read the general Thai view of farangs from the poster on here... Busagon.  This persons views seem to be the same as many people I have spoken to.

I think that maybe all this hype about farangs is to divers attention from other problems here.  Make us the scapegoat.  We are only a small percentage of the population and the crimes committed by some farangs are are going to be a much smaller percentage of the crimes committed by Thais themselves. 

"I think that maybe all this hype about farangs is to divers attention from other problems here.  Make us the scapegoat".

You give the authorities far too much credit for acumen they don't posses, not to be derogatory  but they are not capable at this stage of development to purposely create such a diversion.

And whilst westerners understand that the BiB is a largely dysfunctional and poorly co-ordinated group, trust me when I see the locals know that also, there is no negative rub off from these things.

I think you over emphasise your own importance (or that of foreigners in Thailand), either that or you live in a part of the country where the chattering classes don't have much to do with their time, Issan I would presume.  Where I live in the North there is no bad feeling between Thai and foreigners and the Thai people I talk to, mostly semi or professional people, see things the same way sensible westerners do when it comes to the BiB and their antics.

25 minutes ago, LPCustom69 said:

You mean over stayers and digital nomads.

It won't be long before they will want copies of bank information from the home countries, and fingerprints.

If it gets bad guys out, so be it.

Many of the individuals mentioned above always complained because many here legally, had no sympathy for their situations. So, the actions of a few end up hurting/inconveniencing all.

I think the next crackdowns will be ED visas and sham marriages.

Great, bring it on! I wonder how many of you would be so upset at all of this if this were your country and your police force that were doing these things, my best guess is that you'd be quite pleased, I would,

And during this time people who just come and leave every 3 months (but live full time in Thailand) do not give any information to anyone and live anywhere they want without telling anything to anyone <3

How can someone be so stupid to officially register anywhere when it's just problems that others do not face...

58 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Great, bring it on! I wonder how many of you would be so upset at all of this if this were your country and your police force that were doing these things, my best guess is that you'd be quite pleased, I would,

People who invade our countries are criminals and terrorists when most of FARANGS living in Thailand are just more educated, smarter and richer than anyone in this country ! Do you feel the difference with the rat race that invades EU and US ?

On 28/09/2016 at 2:55 PM, wwest5829 said:

I recognize that a "host country" has the right to govern their sovereign territory. However, couldn't they be a bit wiser. All this information is already available to government, they just need to put their effort in getting immigration, the banks, the phone company, street cams, motor vehicle, Driving License computer entered information gathered. You know...secretly like my own country does. Wait...what?...I find a benefit in US spying on its citizens? Hmmm.....

At what point, Thailand, does your rightful gathering of information become harassment of foreign residents? I hope the embassies step in and meet with Thai government officials to question the need and make some suggestions as to how the needed information might be odtained without seeming so intrusive.

Yer joking,foreign governments are doing the same thing,a bit more high tech though.Where do they keep all this paperwork.

On 9/28/2016 at 3:17 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It seem to me as though this form is for 'body identification purposes'... 

Some bright spark in a position of decision making power has thought..."this would be a good idea" and then gone ahead with introducing the form... 

IMO: This is just a little ignorantly naive, its slightly invasive... however, when considering the bigger picture there really isn't much of an issue with providing the information in the form (with the exception of Salary).

What concerns me more is that this form is even necessary at all... IF it is for 'body identification purposes' it alarms me that foreigners are coming to an untoward end in such numbers that forms such as this are considered necessary. 

If you don't receive a salary (periodic payment from employer to employee) then I guess you do not have to complete?

Now, "income" is a different scenario altogether. And a "wage" is different again. As is a "benefit" e.g. pension payment.

It all makes sense to me now.

They are all zombies. They want our most intimate details, DNA etc.

They will soon have the technology to replicate us. Then they will then send these zombie farang surrogates back to our countries to infect the others.

lol

1 hour ago, AsianExport said:

People who invade our countries are criminals and terrorists when most of FARANGS living in Thailand are just more educated, smarter and richer than anyone in this country ! Do you feel the difference with the rat race that invades EU and US ?

Wow, not only is that a bigoted rant it's also loaded with superiority complex! I guess we're not going to to be able to agree on much at all.

Archived