Thai police visiting foreigners at home, asking for yet more personal info via new controversial form

webfact

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AsianExport said:

So just go back to EU or US if you love the rat race that kills our mothers and sisters...

This is my full time home of over 15 years, more like 33 years if non-residency periods are considered, why go anywhere else! 

On 9/28/2016 at 3:50 PM, wanna3030 said:

just use this and change the date each time u need... so no stress at all ...and keep cool ... police only do their job

you can fill it just in the PDF

CHEERS

Foreign National Information.pdf

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

Contact Us

9 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Excuse me saying so but that's not what the original post was suggesting.

I have already done what you suggest but the original poster was saying one didn't need to keep re-filling out the form as other posters have said is happening and has happened to myself - 1 for extension of stay on retirement and a 2nd for a re-entry permit in my case. 

The original poster was suggesting just having to change the date after 'digitising' the form.

My question was/is: how do you 'digitise' the form in order to achieve this!

Downloading the form doesn't allow you to enter anything on one's computer as it downloads in jpg format - i.e. like a picture - so you have to print it out, as you say, and then manually enter the required information. 

How can one change the downloaded form from jpg format into a format that allows one to simply change the date as was suggested?

You don't have to keep re-filling in the form or convert to or from a jpg or anything else. If it is saving as a jpg, install acrobat reader. It is free. 

1. Complete THIS form (It's an editable pdf)

2. Save it as YourDocName_01.pdf

3. Next time you need to complete it, load YourNameDoc_01.pdf and you will see the previously completed fields were saved. You then only need to change the date each time. Save it with the same filename or with a new filename each time. Up to you. 

Hope that makes sense.

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Apart from one visit by the local police 4 or 5 years ago I have had my privacy and my family life for the last 12 years. The state hasn't interrupted it.

That's good to hear because ''My privacy is sacrosanct!''

The reason there is virtually no unemployment in thailand is because vast armies of people are required to shuffle a growing pile of documents and obviously this is another wily ruse to increase the height of the pile. Ones worth is valued by the height of the pile one must shuffle. Im quite sure no one actually reads them

17 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Great, bring it on! I wonder how many of you would be so upset at all of this if this were your country and your police force that were doing these things, my best guess is that you'd be quite pleased, I would,

There is no problem doing it...once. You have to do it for other countries already.   But because they are that Sh*te, they can not process the information correctly in the first place, therefore stopping the BiB coming round your house, or you having to do it every 90 days.  I am pretty sure Thais (and other foreigners) don't do the same crap we go through to live in the UK, US etc?   Do it once and thats it.  But no we can not do that here, that far too easy and would involve using a brain and Loosing money

14 minutes ago, Caps said:

There is no problem doing it...once. You have to do it for other countries already.   But because they are that Sh*te, they can not process the information correctly in the first place, therefore stopping the BiB coming round your house, or you having to do it every 90 days.  I am pretty sure Thais (and other foreigners) don't do the same crap we go through to live in the UK, US etc?   Do it once and thats it.  But no we can not do that here, that far too easy and would involve using a brain and Loosing money

Which part of, "Thailand is a developing country", is not clear to you!

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Which part of, "Thailand is a developing country", is not clear to you!

They are developed enough to get money from you every way they can.  Its not an excuse 

So your telling me that immigration can not record our details? Also the BiB can not get in touch with said immigration to get those details?  

Just now, Caps said:

They are developed enough to get money from you every way they can.  Its not an excuse 

Getting money from people is not a sign of a first world nation, having processes, infrastructure, trained personnel and technology in place to manage that money is.

On 9/28/2016 at 8:12 PM, mettech said:

I know the answer to the verification of foreigners just get a chip implant and they could scan you where you go at all time.

Is China doing the same aren't they Communist???

What is the Thai government???

...the idea of doing our 90 day at any 7/11 store was a great idea..nothing eventuated...after all you can pay for an air ticket/utility bills etc....and the other idea mooted several years ago..after third consecutive extension..go onto a 5 year extension..just show the funds each year.

Just now, chiang mai said:

Getting money from people is not a sign of a first world nation, having processes, infrastructure, trained personnel and technology in place to manage that money is.

So your telling me that immigration can not record our details? Also the BiB can not get in touch with said immigration to get those details?  I never mentioned technology, just processing it.  I would say incompetence is key rather than anything else.

The majority of people come in via a airport, land crossing where details are taken and even if the are kept local then the first time you go to your local immigration you do it again.  Then they keep it/file it, whatever, how hard is it, you could train a monkey to do that.  There is no excuse to have to do it every time you go, non whatsoever.   Or have the BiB come round to get information, how hard is it to get in touch with other agencies to get this information? 

You can defend it/excuse it as much as you like but there is no need for it even in a developing country, i am sure even developing countries can put pieces of paper together to make a file and put it in a filing cabinet 

2 minutes ago, Caps said:

So your telling me that immigration can not record our details? Also the BiB can not get in touch with said immigration to get those details?  I never mentioned technology, just processing it.  I would say incompetence is key rather than anything else.

The majority of people come in via a airport, land crossing where details are taken and even if the are kept local then the first time you go to your local immigration you do it again.  Then they keep it/file it, whatever, how hard is it, you could train a monkey to do that.  There is no excuse to have to do it every time you go, non whatsoever.   Or have the BiB come round to get information, how hard is it to get in touch with other agencies to get this information? 

You can defend it/excuse it as much as you like but there is no need for it even in a developing country, i am sure even developing countries can put pieces of paper together to make a file and put it in a filing cabinet 

With 24 million tourists per year it's have to be a pretty big file cabinet!

And if you've ever been into a large Immigration office and seen those reams and reams of records you'd understand the problem better perhaps. Consider also the number of records Immigration receives daily from EVERY hotel, guest house etc in the country reporting their daily guest lists, more data, more filing cabinets!

Sadly you're only looking at the problem through Western eyes and all you see is what is possible and what exists elsewhere, this isn't Kansas!

16 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

With 24 million tourists per year it's have to be a pretty big file cabinet!

And if you've ever been into a large Immigration office and seen those reams and reams of records you'd understand the problem better perhaps. Consider also the number of records Immigration receives daily from EVERY hotel, guest house etc in the country reporting their daily guest lists, more data, more filing cabinets!

Sadly you're only looking at the problem through Western eyes and all you see is what is possible and what exists elsewhere, this isn't Kansas!

Thankfully it ain't Kansas :thumbsup:

I don't not disagree that there are reams and reams of records.  So producing even more and more really helps the problem?

No one asks them to keep reams and reams of paper, thats what computers are for.  They are not that under developed that they can't use them.  Even the person on entry into the country takes your photo which goes on a computer.  

As I said, incompetence.

We can bat this back and forth all day lol, but alas I am going swimming, have a good day CM and I look forward to filling in more paperwork soon :wink:

It seems to me that there must be some Constitutional provisions to safeguard personal privacy at least to the extent of needing probable cause to require personal information.

I am not an expert, but my gut feeling is that going to a legally residing non-Thai's place of residence and "making/requesting" them fill out personal information is certainly not allowed by statute. 

Perhaps there might be some lawyers present who can read and understand Thai law and the Constitution (whichever one we have now). 

10 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

It seems to me that there must be some Constitutional provisions to safeguard personal privacy at least to the extent of needing probable cause to require personal information.

I am not an expert, but my gut feeling is that going to a legally residing non-Thai's place of residence and "making/requesting" them fill out personal information is certainly not allowed by statute. 

Perhaps there might be some lawyers present who can read and understand Thai law and the Constitution (whichever one we have now). 

I understand your sentiments - but the fact is that Thailand is quite simply a lawless land. That does not mean that there are no laws on the statute books, but that they are totally ignored - unless it suits the powerful to enforce them.

So whatever Thai laws might proudly proclaim - they are totally and utterly meaningless and irrelevant. In a land of complete corruption (at every level), you cannot look to the law for order or protection. 

Again: Thailand is a lawless land!

Some of the comments above are really just variants of 'Do You Know Who I Am?' pomposity. The real question is deciding whether this is the straw that breaks the camels back and leaves or whether to grit one's teeth and just get on with it one way or another. The hilarious part is the thought of all those Brexiteers who want to give immigrants a hard time protesting madly at the realisation of the aspirant biter bit about their privacy in Thailand and the terrible thought of filling in the same form umpteen times, not to mention telling the authorities who they are and where they go. The sheer indignity of it all!

These actions are the result of farangs drawing attention to themselves through bad behavior, creating unnecessary conflicts, criminal activity, not to mention spouting derogatory/hateful comments about Thais on TV and other forums.

There are plenty of law abiding farangs in Thailand, but obviously they are being overshadowed by their less savory countrymen hence the new profiling activities.

1 hour ago, nemrut said:

These actions are the result of farangs drawing attention to themselves through bad behavior, creating unnecessary conflicts, criminal activity, not to mention spouting derogatory/hateful comments about Thais on TV and other forums.

There are plenty of law abiding farangs in Thailand, but obviously they are being overshadowed by their less savory countrymen hence the new profiling activities.

Tell me are  you races ? . 

That  racist word you use to describe  foreigners is a joke.

i would say yes there are some bad  foreign men who come to thailand , but not a lot .

the way ex pats are  treated by this government is not that good, because lots of them put their good hard money in to this country to make it all work .

so you want us not have  freedom of speech do you , by us not saying what we see and what we feel about this  matter .

That is what TV is about to help others out and say what we feel like saying.

As long as we don't  discriminate . 

Recently completed the application for a 1 year visa and had to fill the original questioning form out. This was followed up by the visit to our home by immigration. Visa not issued yet, but the wife received a call (we used her phone number on the form) from someone who wanted to be her friend. Turns out this "friend" also wanted to sell her stuff. Also turns out that she got my wife's number from someone in immigration.

So glad that my data is secure and will not be abused....

On 9/28/2016 at 0:05 PM, MalandLee said:

Love Thailand, been coming since 1967, several months a year since 1990 and now retired here. I am starting to feel UN-welcome here and I never felt that before.

Yes...just recently posted a similar statement. UN-welcome...UN-valued...and UN-wanted.

Archived