Thai police visiting foreigners at home, asking for yet more personal info via new controversial form

webfact

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Aussie69 said:

I know this is a much hated response - but if you hate it, you are free to leave. Yes, we have the freedom to question the logic/validity of these requests, but end of the day it is what it is.

Most cannot go anywhere. They are stuck here with no money and no life in there 2000bht a month fan rooms. You only have to see the bitterness that boils to the surface whenever anybody asks about buying a Condo. Not too worry though because with what is in the pipeline, the no hopers will soon be getting shipped out.

Most cannot go anywhere. They are stuck here with no money and no life in there 2000bht a month fan rooms. You only have to see the bitterness that boils to the surface whenever anybody asks about buying a Condo. Not too worry though because with what is in the pipeline, the no hopers will soon be getting shipped out.

What is in the pipeline?

3 hours ago, Ronuk said:

What a ridiculous comment , obviously made by someone who has not one ounce of compassion for his/her fellowperson.

I do not know anyone who lives I a 2000 baht Fan room, and as for the pipeline, well another throw away comment made by the uneducated and the unintelligent expat living the dream a big fish in a small pond whereas back home he would not even be noticed. 

On 28/09/2016 at 8:08 PM, Choctastic said:

Agree on immigration. Dress cleanly, stay cool, do as they request and it's plain sailing. I was in the Philippines many years ago, enjoyed it but the food was awful, roads a shambles and crime a worry. Has it changed?

Yes, depending where you are, I live in Negros Occidental Sipalay City provincial life not many Farang love it 

Any more reports about this ? I do not believe they will continue to knock on the doors of random foreigners.  I did my part and my visa is up to date , they got the information they asked for. 

On 10/2/2016 at 3:17 PM, jonclark said:

Get some big dogs, tell them they are welcome to come in..but you ain't tying up the dogs..See if they wish to persist with the form. 

We have several big dogs. We do this with all our visitors. We don't get many..........we like it this way.

22 minutes ago, Saraphee said:

We have several big dogs. We do this with all our visitors. We don't get many..........we like it this way.

I only have one big GS.  Did a lot of training myself but recently sent him off to police school and he came back fully adjusted and responds equally well to commands in English and Thai.  Will attack on command or guards the gate and growls, but will stop when commanded.  Like you, we do not get many visitors and I too like it that way.

On 28/09/2016 at 0:35 PM, StefanBBK said:

One would think that all could be easily recorded once and that's it. Obviously the database is not maintained well. 

I have no issue with any information given to the authorities, except income maybe. 

Luckily I am not subject to 90 day reporting, as My work requires me to leave country regularly. But most of the info is actually given when applying for visa anyway.

what Database "O" you mean the big filing cabinet were we keep all the paper!!

why are there no trees in Thialand dad?  

On 29/09/2016 at 0:46 PM, Fookhaht said:

If members have a Mac computer, the function is built in after you scan the form.  Bring it up in the Preview App, which allows annotations, including filling in text.  

with your IT experience you should be teaching IT 

On 29/09/2016 at 1:30 PM, ironbark said:

If authorities want information about people that are potential "baddies" in order to better monitor or catch them this is hardly the way to do it. I don't think they are actually trying to target overstay farang.

With so many possible baddies around from illegal immigrants to terrorist I can just imagine some military intelligence official coming up with the bright idea that "We need information about what sort of people are out there, so lets get them to fill out a questionnaire".

Any person with mischief in mind is hardly going to give accurate information. There are so many better ways to collect and store biometric data in order to identify and track people.

So you have  military intelligence 55555 Then we have Thai military intelligence. remember the old joke about putting

military and intelligence in the same sentence 

On 2016-09-28 at 0:00 PM, apalink_thailand said:

???? :omfg:

Oh, you have heard the stories about thai women married to foreigners while they also had a thai husband? They just want to know his name too to see if his name pops up on other foreigner¨s papers too.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:48 PM, georgemandm said:

Tell me are  you races ? . 

That  racist word you use to describe  foreigners is a joke.

i would say yes there are some bad  foreign men who come to thailand , but not a lot .

the way ex pats are  treated by this government is not that good, because lots of them put their good hard money in to this country to make it all work .

so you want us not have  freedom of speech do you , by us not saying what we see and what we feel about this  matter .

That is what TV is about to help others out and say what we feel like saying.

As long as we don't  discriminate . 

Can you tell me why the word "Farang" is a joke and how is it a racist term and why you are so sensitive with the word being used to describe foreigners? 

The way expats are treated by this government is not that good, because etc., etc.?  You're saying that because expats are putting in their good hard money to make the country work that the government treats them badly.  How are these so called "lots of them" being treated badly?  Maybe some deserve it, who knows, we mainly get one sided stories on here.

Freedom of speech.  So what would you like to say and not be subject to the laws of a nation.  Why refer only to discrimination but make no reference to denigration, or is it ok to denigrate another under the cloak of anonymity?

I feel a  bit cheated.

I have had such a  "home visit" but not one question was asked to me. There was  no form asking for any personal info at all.  Instead it  appeared to be a check on  my standing or  acceptability within the  local community with questions  put to  various people such as  neighbours  and  the  village  representative.  And  that was a little more than a year  ago as the result of an extension based on retirement.

I have recently renewed an extension without  any further such.

However I  do remember a visit by a  local police officer ( Not Immigration ) at least 3  years ago. On that  occasion there was a form  that did ask for some personal details  but  not  to any objectionable extent as I remember.

Bureaucratic or procedural inconsistency is a feature  of Thailand  that I have  long accepted as a fact of life even for Thais.

On 14/10/2016 at 9:43 AM, Si Thea01 said:

Can you tell me why the word "Farang" is a joke and how is it a racist term and why you are so sensitive with the word being used to describe foreigners? 

The way expats are treated by this government is not that good, because etc., etc.?  You're saying that because expats are putting in their good hard money to make the country work that the government treats them badly.  How are these so called "lots of them" being treated badly?  Maybe some deserve it, who knows, we mainly get one sided stories on here.

Freedom of speech.  So what would you like to say and not be subject to the laws of a nation.  Why refer only to discrimination but make no reference to denigration, or is it ok to denigrate another under the cloak of anonymity?

Up to you how you think I can say what I feel , like you can  , the place need to take care of  foreigners who come here and put millions of millions thai bht in to the country and stop this  rubbish home  visits .

Should make it a lot  easier to keep  your visa once you have your first one .

do you understand the word  racist I think not .

that is how Thais  treat  foreigners with that stupid word it is racist that word , it is made up by some  lazy people who don't want to use the  proper word in thai .

The visa side of it , here is a joke going to report ever 90 days is just a  Control thing by the government.

you would be one to use the  racist word <deleted> I think , you think that word <deleted> is not racist ? . 

The same as thai call is a f????g it is racist.

On 10/3/2016 at 6:57 AM, Khun Paul said:

What a ridiculous comment , obviously made by someone who has not one ounce of compassion for his/her fellowperson.

I do not know anyone who lives I a 2000 baht Fan room, and as for the pipeline, well another throw away comment made by the uneducated and the unintelligent expat living the dream a big fish in a small pond whereas back home he would not even be noticed. 

Come to Chiang Mai and you will see them!

Variety is the spice of life. I had that visit 3 days ago. The BIB said it was not his job somebody else suppose to do this (that meant when I asked do you need this part filled in he said up to you). I started by telling him yesterday my passport went to Immigration for 90 days report and the company doing it will have that back to me tomorrow so some questions I cant answer ( he said leave blank). Cant imagine criminals disclosing the data they want as this is the outcome of the form. So he didnt want a photo ( attach to form in space provided),  no assessment what I filled in so instead of 85 kgs I put 65Kgs; instead of 1.6 m tall it was 2 m tall but he was tough on my education status ( odd). He left a happy man.

On 10/28/2016 at 9:26 PM, georgemandm said:

Up to you how you think I can say what I feel , like you can  , the place need to take care of  foreigners who come here and put millions of millions thai bht in to the country and stop this  rubbish home  visits .

Should make it a lot  easier to keep  your visa once you have your first one .

do you understand the word  racist I think not .

that is how Thais  treat  foreigners with that stupid word it is racist that word , it is made up by some  lazy people who don't want to use the  proper word in thai .

The visa side of it , here is a joke going to report ever 90 days is just a  Control thing by the government.

you would be one to use the  racist word <deleted> I think , you think that word <deleted> is not racist ? . 

The same as thai call is a f????g it is racist.

What a great first sentence, total mish mash but I think I get what you are trying to say.  Show me where I said anything about what you can say or cannot say?  Like you, I can say what I want to, but unlike you, I don't resort to being unable to articulate what I need to, nor do I have to resort to using the "R" word.  And why shouldn't they do home visits, only those who do not live where they say they do or cannot abide by the rules would have anything to worry about. 

I've been coming to Thailand since 2004, and have lived here permanently since 2013, and I've never had a problem.  Yes, I too disagree with some of the rules however, I still respect them and so should many others who complain about them.  If, as you say, people come here and spend millions, then the place, I assume you mean the Thai government, should take care of, as you put it, the foreigners.  So according to your rules, I should be taken care of seeing I spend in excess of 2 million baht each year.  Please enlighten me how I should be taken care of? 

You sir, are the one who has no idea as to the definition pf racist, in fact, you are guilty of practising reverse racism.  Your are not interested in debating and explaining why, which is evident in you failure to answer any legitimate questions put to you, you  just simply try to shut down another with the age old accusation of "Racist."  Why is it that you even have trouble printing the word "Farang?"  It won't bite you.  And if you don't know what reverse racism is then I suggest you look it up because is  evident that you have no idea as to the definition of "Racist."

I don't know where you come from but maybe you should compare the rules in your country before bad mouthing what happens here.  If you live in Thailand, were you invited, I doubt it, then if you chose to come here then at least abide by the rules and stop your Thai bashing.

And yes, foreigner in Thai is?  Do you know, I don't think so but here, I'll help you.  It's "Chāw t̀āng chāti" so what is easier, that or "Farang?"  I think or most people who come to Thailand do not speak or even understand Thai, however, they soon get to know the word "Farang" refers to them and they do not go on with the racist garbage.  There is no doubt that some Thais may use the word in a derogatory manner but I'd doubt if you would know if and when they did.

Now instead of trying to show your superiority (which you clearly lack) over another race (Racism) try and  answer what was reasonably asked of you instead of crying Racist.  It does little for your argument when you cannot articulate, with facts, anything to justify what you have alleged and just resort to the reverse racism mish mash you have dished up here. :wai:

Archived