Thai police visiting foreigners at home, asking for yet more personal info via new controversial form

webfact

Ah.  ID cards. Thailand's a step ahead of you already.  Get your Thailand ID card for foreigners in just 16 easy steps . . .

http://www.isaanlawyers.com/pink-thai-id-card-foreigners-thailand/

That's interesting. They really should just roll it out to all foreigners with a valid long term visa. Works in every other country.

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems perfectly reasonable that a competent government would want to keep tabs on non-citizen alliens who are residing within their borders, either for work, school, or retirement. (If my country did this, it might not be overrun with 30 million undocumented people all around the country doing who knows what). If you don't want to be treated like a resident alien...don't be one.

It seems to me that the reason they ask for the same forms to be filled out several times is simply this; it's their trap for people who may be making stuff up. I doubt they would be identical each time. But if that is what this is, it's a simple trap to circumvent for anyone with an IQ above 80...

It seems perfectly reasonable that a competent government would want to keep tabs on non-citizen alliens who are residing within their borders, either for work, school, or retirement. (If my country did this, it might not be overrun with 30 million undocumented people all around the country doing who knows what). If you don't want to be treated like a resident alien...don't be one.

Agree. If the government was competent however, there is a much more efficient way of doing this. The answer is out there if they care to look.

OB

2 minutes ago, Das Manure said:

It seems to me that the reason they ask for the same forms to be filled out several times is simply this; it's their trap for people who may be making stuff up. I doubt they would be identical each time. But if that is what this is, it's a simple trap to circumvent for anyone with an IQ above 80...

I should get into the desk manufacturing business. They will need more desks to place new piles of paper on now. ;-)

I always just thought it was an employment program.

OB

1 hour ago, waldroj said:

In a recent development, the junta has ordered that all foreigners are to be rounded up, and the letter "F" placed on their foreheads to facilitate easy identification by authorities. 

download.jpg

and your IMEI barcode, zapped into the nape of your neck.

and this colour of your skin, thing...

"Look at Me, look at me, look at me" :

https://youtu.be/gSMmxyGeEb4

1 hour ago, Renzo said:

Just waiting to be advised where I need to report to collect my yellow star and to have my allocated number tattooed onto my inner arm. Land of Smiles? Really? 

We better tattoo all the details on our backs so they can just make a picture of it.

I don't mind if they try to find criminals or others who don't obey their rules but if you do nothing wrong they should respect us.

The police nust take care the Thai people. Many forener come to Thailand and make trouble. eg. Cut the body and put in the river and the freezer. do the bombs, kill the Thai with car and motorbike, steal the ATM, fighting the Thai people, killing the thai peple, get the drink and not pay, stay long time but not have the visa and more.
Everyday police have the problem. Many many problem because the forener have in Thailand. And crazy people.
So they must check the forener.

I don't disagree with you but I'd hazard a guess at least 95% of crimes committed in Thailand are by thais. Anyway, if they need to keep tabs on foreigners there is a much more efficient solution for both foreigners and immigration if they would just look to their neighbors.

OB

1 hour ago, Fookhaht said:

There is already a ton of cyber-ink spilled on the Thai Visa forum since I broke the news on the forum about this form six months ago  (I still chuckle at UbonJoe's post:  "Looks like nonsense to me. There is no new form.").  Ah yes, some are still in denial.  

However, on several threads at TV, I picked up a lot of good suggestions on how to tactfully fill in the form, satisfying both my need for privacy and immigration's need to have the form submitted.  I did so, just last week for the first time, and the officer processing me hardly glanced at it before chucking it in my file.  

A lot of helpful information here.   I would suggest to read up, and fly over this little hurdle without ruffling your feathers. 

6 minutes ago, Krungbin said:

"Lot of helpful information here" Where is "here" please...?

Sorry to be ambiguous.  I meant "here on ThaiVisa."   

In addition to the link in my post, just a few of the many threads here on TV on this topic....

Plus the very good article by Richard Barrow:
http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/06/foreign-national-information-form-in-thailand/

If you still want more, Google is your best friend.  :wai:  "foreigner information form thailand" (without the quotation marks).  

4 minutes ago, Krungbin said:

"Lot of helpful information here" Where is "here" please...?

this is all very simple

a lot of this info they are asking for they already have so no biggie, as for the info that they may not have or you don't wish to provide - just write whatever you feel like because there is no way for them to know any different and no means for them to investigate, it is all pretty much stupid nonsense and more paper wasted

As someone has already suggested above - all they have to do is finger print everyone that enters the country and if they are already here with no print on file then have them do it when visiting immigration ......................................the only downside to this is that they would have to spend a considerable amount of money to provide such a system and maintain it, as for those on overstay and hiding out, well there are ways to deal with that

same same Sanpatong.. two years ago.  but uniformed... surprise visits about 5 times at my home but in late mornings only... kept wanting to see my wife.... then the last time I saw him he showed me some paperwork for another farlang, a local Canadian.... showing me all kinds of that farlangs personal information.. and then he said goodbye and never showed up again nor ever got any paperwork from me or my wife.  2 years ago. 

3 hours ago, PattayaBoy said:

What a joke

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Does thailand want foriengers spending their money here or not. Tell the police to go ask or get info from immagration. For f***s sake what is thailand scarred of. Goes down south and get the bombers if have nothing better to do. We foriengers have had enough well i have. I only stay cos i love my wife and not easybto get all back to uk

10 minutes ago, Chicog said:

No, it's her real husband.

Or as you know him, "my brudder".

:smile:

Yes, the "husband of wife" question refers to the Thai bloke your wife is really married to, who is the most likely suspect when you are found gunned down in a banana plantation with your hands tied behind your back.

So by answering this question, and the one about skin color and scars, the BiB can swiftly:

a ) identify you as the victim and,

b ) extort a small sum of money from the husband of your wife, to have your death ruled a suicide.

2 hours ago, MalandLee said:

Love Thailand, been coming since 1967, several months a year since 1990 and now retired here. I am starting to feel UN-welcome here and I never felt that before.

It is the new improved Thailand under the steady hand of the junta: Distrust those who are educated, those who are not Thai and those who have a different point of view.  The truncheon in lieu of  conversation.   Not sure if Thailand will ever be the place it was.

about 2-3 weeks back, I had immigration show up, and asked my wife is the "falang that is registered to this home still lives at the house?"

I was in the house but in another room, and I didn't even know they were at the house.

She asked them if they would like to see me, and she grabbed a leash, so's to control me as she paraded me around the house.   (OK that part is embellished)

Any how the IO's said it wouldn't be necessary to see me, and asked how much our family monthly budget expenditures was.

(I am not sure why they asked that)

They then took a photo of the ID section of my passport and left.

The stranger thing was, about an hour after immigration left, some folks from "customs" showed up, asking about a box from China my wife had shipped in 2 years ago.   They wanted to know the contents, value of the contents, when the box was shipped in etc etc.   She answered their questions, and said that her accounting of the box, matched their records....   and they then left.

I once wrote my name as "Mickey Mouse" in a visitors log for a conference here in Thailand, the ladies at the desk didn't react at all.......

Anyway these are surely different government police organisations doing different jobs, one is immigration and the other apparently something about transnational crime division. So they can't just centralize their database and anyhow one organisation for sure thinks the other organisation has the wrong data so they need to get the data themselves, and some data is specific to their organisation. Soon we will have ministry of defense going around doing the same out of defense concerns, and then there will be the counter terrorism dept. and after that the department of labor doing the same.....:smile:

I recognize that a "host country" has the right to govern their sovereign territory. However, couldn't they be a bit wiser. All this information is already available to government, they just need to put their effort in getting immigration, the banks, the phone company, street cams, motor vehicle, Driving License computer entered information gathered. You know...secretly like my own country does. Wait...what?...I find a benefit in US spying on its citizens? Hmmm.....

At what point, Thailand, does your rightful gathering of information become harassment of foreign residents? I hope the embassies step in and meet with Thai government officials to question the need and make some suggestions as to how the needed information might be odtained without seeming so intrusive.

Archived